PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Defensive Scheme most difficult in NFL?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Likewise, the Seahawks were the superior team done in by horrendous officiating.

Disagree, both teams were equally average, the biggest factor why the Seahawks lost was poor coaching by Holmgren, who foolishly turned to the run game in and around red zone when the short passes were killing the Steelers. His clock management was pretty poor too.

The other superbowl it's tough to blame the D because Larry Fitzgerald was just on fire that post season and could not be stopped.

The flippin Stealers draft well and always have a good D. The exception being last season when their best player was out. Why can't the Pats do the same. Seems like plenty of picks don;t work out and the D is a "work in progress". Always excuses for these guys. Why don;t they draft some athletes that can flippin play for a change. I see the Stealers headed to Dallas. DISGUSTING!!!

The only thing disgusting, here, is your complete lack of Character.

Obviously you never watch the Steelers.

* There defense was terrible last year and not very good in 2007/2006 and much of 2005. If they don't blow out Palmer's knee, the Bengals hang 40+ points and they are "one and done" in 2005.

*** There is a big difference between statistics great defenses and situational football great defenses. The thing to note about one gap defenses is that they "pad" their stats against inferior opponents. Watch these defenses against "elite" offenses.***

* The Steelers won SB XLII despite the fact that their defense pitched the worst collapse in Super Bowl history. Likewise, the Seahawks were the superior team done in by horrendous officiating.

***It's no accident that Brady always lights up the Steelers. They are too one dimensional. Once you master the zone blitz, spread them out and it's easy.***

Absolutely BRILLIANT post.

In an attempt to get this thread back on topic, I too have heard that this defensive scheme is very complicated. I don't have any quotes, but I do remember Rodney Harrison talking about it when he got here. I don't believe, however, that the 2-gap approach has anything to do with the complexity. I think it has more to do with the number of pre-snap and even post-snap adjustments that BB has his players make. Most of these, being based on the other team's tendencies, or on creating/avoiding certain match-ups.

That said, I don't think BB's defense is terribly complex right now because (a) the defense is very inexperienced, and (b) the defensive players' ability is quite limited - e.g. you're not going to make an adjustment to have an OLB cover a RB when your OLBs can't cover man to man.

That is the one thing that complicates this particular defense. BB loves to disguise his defense right up to the snap.

In this type of 3-4 2 gapping, when one player falls off the page, the whole scheme falls apart (e.g., a player is tempted to one-gap).

Since we don't really play that much cover 0 (in which the risk of a big play occurring is high), each player has to know their AOR (area of responsibility) and to handle the handoffs from the linebacker zones as far as primary contain is concerned.

Let's see what Jay has to say, he is far more of an expert on this than I am.

Rex Ryan 2005 Ravens 34 Defense

Versus

Bill Belichick 1997 NY Jets - Belichick

Versus

Monte Kiffin 1989 Monte Kiffin - 4-3 Defense

You decide which is more complex. Obviously all of them have changed as Kiffin's is over twenty years old but the basic principals are the same. One factor that may make the Pats a bit more difficult is that younger players have generally not played in a similar system but really in my opinion they are all about the same.

I think the sub packages that are really at least 50% of our D makes things a bit more complicated too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back