Defensive rise in the rankings

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatsRI

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/

These two stats stand out to me big time.

the Patriots now rank fourth in rushing yards against per game (95.5). Entering their game on Nov. 13, when they were 4-4, the Patriots ranked 27th in rushing yards allowed per game (128.9).

The Patriots now rank 17th in points allowed (20.6). When they were 4-4 on Nov. 13, the team ranked 30th (27.5).

So they've risen 23 slots in a month and a half in rushing D and 13 slots in points allowed (which if you look at the garbage TD in Buffalo and the ones last night might even be higher). Amazing. Seymour's value just seems to rise more and more.

Notice that Bruschi was just starting to play on a regular basis when he suited up on Week 10 against the Fins. Obvious conclusion: he has been the catalyst of the revival.

(Kudos for making a thread that doesn't involve trolls or James Dungy)

So many changes happened somewhere in the midseason range.

- Seymour returned.
- Wilfork seemed to hold his ground better.
- Bruschi returned.
- Vrabel moved inside.
- Hobbs moved in at CB (he's been very good against the run).
- Colvin went in full time for Vrabel and was surprisingly good against the run.
- Hawkins has been a solid tackler at Safety.

I guess when you have that many changes, most or all of them work out well and the players start to mesh, this is the result.

Fix the run defense and the rest will fall into line

There's a lot of reason for the Pats defensive improvement, but I think a couple really stand out to me.
1.) Getting the injured guys back on the field. (Seymour and Bruschi)
2.) BB settled on his starting front seven, defined their roles and did not schuffle guys in and out anymore.
3.) He loosened the reigns a bit and turned the guys loose a bit. He seems to be playing the old adage of "When facing a rookie QB, you blitz; however when facing a passer you cover down field".

BelichickFan said:
So many changes happened somewhere in the midseason range.

- Seymour returned.
- Wilfork seemed to hold his ground better.
- Bruschi returned.
- Vrabel moved inside.
- Hobbs moved in at CB (he's been very good against the run).
- Colvin went in full time for Vrabel and was surprisingly good against the run.
- Hawkins has been a solid tackler at Safety.

I guess when you have that many changes, most or all of them work out well and the players start to mesh, this is the result.

Exactly. Thats why anyone saying it's about who the Pats have faced are just being ignorant. I mean hell, a month ago this team was messed up by Aaron Brooks and Gus Frerotte. So quality of opponents has little to do with it. It's all about the personel changes.

Did you see the graphic last night?
The total yards and rushing yards allowed by the Pats in the last 3 games are the fewest since 1942.
Last nights numbers were right at those averages.

How in the world can it be due to competition when its the best anyone has done, against any competition in 63 years?

Are you saying the Bills, Jets and Bucs are the worst 3 teams anyone has played successively in 63 years?

Look...what do Patriot teams under BB do?

they finish strong

it's no big surprise to me...but the rest of the league is gurgling and choking trying to explain what has been the Pats trademark the past five years...

AndyJohnson said:
Did you see the graphic last night?
The total yards and rushing yards allowed by the Pats in the last 3 games are the fewest since 1942.
Last nights numbers were right at those averages.

How in the world can it be due to competition when its the best anyone has done, against any competition in 63 years?

Are you saying the Bills, Jets and Bucs are the worst 3 teams anyone has played successively in 63 years?

to think the colts played houston then us then houston and couldnt do that..

In his Monday WEEI show, BB said the improvement was due to everyone playing better. Went into it a bit, saying if you have everyone stepping up their game 10-15% and multiply that by the 14-15 guys who regularly play during a game, it makes a big difference. "Total is greater than the sum of the parts" notion.

While there is something to that, IMO, some personnel changes have been significant as well, but that would go against BB's philosophy of not singling any one player out.

jczxohn1 said:
In his Monday WEEI show, BB said the improvement was due to everyone playing better. Went into it a bit, saying if you have everyone stepping up their game 10-15% and multiply that by the 14-15 guys who regularly play during a game, it makes a big difference. "Total is greater than the sum of the parts" notion.

While there is something to that, IMO, some personnel changes have been significant as well, but that would go against BB's philosophy of not singling any one player out.

Well, I think some of those personnell changes have allowed the rest to elevate 10-15%.

If you really think about it, is the difference between the plays Bruschi makes at ILB vs Beisel as abig a difference as how it frees up the other 10 to play better?

AndyJohnson said:
Well, I think some of those personnell changes have allowed the rest to elevate 10-15%.

If you really think about it, is the difference between the plays Bruschi makes at ILB vs Beisel as abig a difference as how it frees up the other 10 to play better?
No doubt, but IMO, Vrabel getting over his knee injury and seamlessly playing next to Tedy allowing Rosie to be an every down player, as well as Hobbs being a 98% improvement over Starks, Sey solidfying the D line, and finally finding a SS in Hawkins, not to mention Poteat rather than T.Brown, constitutes a pretty major personnel change.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back