PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Defensive Revamp 09: Harrison, Vrabel, Bruschi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone who watched last weeks Chiefs game could clearly see that Vrabel is still playing well - Everytime I looked he was making a tackle or assisting in one.

I think it was a mistake in letting him go despite his diminishing skills as a pass rusher but boy,even at his age the guy can still go in for the tackle from anywhere on the field.

And remember, Rodney Tedy and Vrabel were not starters early in their careers, and did not make a major impact with the Patriots until they had reached veteran status (Rodney was 30 when he joined the NEP)

Not at all trying to punch holes in the resumes of 3 of the greatest players of this dynasty, just trying to say that we have some newer guys with impressive resumes themselves. Not to mention Seymour, Wilfork and Warren dominating up front with their impressive pedigrees (all 3 are Pro Bowlers and first round picks).

The most important thing to keep in mind is that we aren't replacing those 3 guys in their prime; we're replacing them from last season, when it is inarguable that they were all at their least effective, save possibly for Harrison, during their time with the Pats.

I am not trying to be a grumpy old man (it comes naturally). But the point in bold is key, these guys became great players after a few years in the trenches. Now we expect rookies and UDFAs to replace them, it just doesn't add up.

I don't think they will be bad, just average with a few bumps along the way. Hopefully they can develop sooner rather than later.

Your underlined point is very valid.

Your point is valid as well, that these were players who took some time to develop.

I think, however, that the guys the Pats are really counting on to make a difference in the defense are more veterans than youngsters. Meriweather is entering his 3rd season, and was the team's top performer in the defensive backfield last year; Bodden is a vet with a good amount of experience; Thomas is in his 3rd year in the system; the d-line all knows what they're doing. I can see being concerned about Guyton's inexperience, but Mayo is an outlier who did not have the typical rookie learning curve. As for the rookies like Chung, Brace, Butler, and Pryor, I see them all contributing this season, but not being counted on to be the difference makers. Hopefully one of them proves me wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Back