PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Defensive philosophy

Status
Not open for further replies.
1) There is no panic. We are just focusing in on the linebackers because that is our primary weakness, and that is the place that Belichick is still trying to address.

2) Most have us as the favorite for the Super Bowl. Betters may be presuming(guessing) that we will improve some at our obvious weakness. Some have us at #2 until we make this upgrade or demosntrate that what we have is sufficient (and that Brady is healthy).

3) I am NOT one who has panicked reagarding our OLB's. I happen to have a lot of faith in Woods and Banta-Cain, and in the future prospects for Crable. However, that doesn't mean that we couldn't use a veteran addition, if only as insurance in case ALL doesn't work out this year or if there is an injury.

4) I am one who STRONGLY believes that we needed and need an upgrade at ILB. I think it extremely risky to count on Bruschi to perform at a high level for a full season and to provide no veteran backup if his production slides or if he is injured. The effects of a Mayo injury are huge with no poential backup. I do expect Guyton to continue to improve. In any case, we are likely to need two additions to contribute in 2010. Hopefully, McKenzie is one. We need a second.

And BTW, Belichick did indeed draft a 3rd round ILB. If Belichick is confident of Guyton's progress and Bruschi's strength and health, then we're fine for now. However, that doesn't mean that we couldn't use a veteran addition, if only if ALL doesn't work out this year or if there is an injury. We could certainly use someone to compete with Guyton and Mckenzie for reps in 2010.

BOTTOM LINE
5) We are in the AFC conference hunt, and therefore Super Bowl hunt, as long as Brady is healthy. HOWEVER, we would improve the team, and our chances if we found upgrades for Redd and Appleby. There is no reason to panic. Belichick is working on this issue. We will see if he succeeds. And even if he doesn't, we still have the team to compete for the AFC championship and the Super Bowl.

=======================================

I agree with most of what you say, particularly about the ILBs. As long as Mayo is healthy and Guyton improves we are ok, but we are very thin. I agree that we can't count on Bruschi for very much, and that an injury to Guyton or (God forbid) Mayo would be devestating. The wild card is that Adalius Thomas could move back inside, but we don't currently have enough at OLB to make that move.

As you say, there is absolutely no need to panic, or to doubt that BB has the situation firmly in grasp. But the LB corps is clearly the weekest group in our defense right now, and a couple of additions to add some quality depth would not be amiss.

But the LB corps is clearly the weekest group in our defense right now, and a couple of additions to add some quality depth would not be amiss.
Weakest or the one with the most unanswered questions? Myself, I don't yet know what NE has at CB or TE, LS looks to have some stability. NE is going through the process that provides those answers, time for a little patience.

I think that too much is made out of the SILB or Mike (depending on scheme, but for ease of discourse, let's assume there isn't a Will and a Mike, just a S/WILB) here. I have experience with both positions, but in my scheme the strongside inside postion was the Mike. Due to this, the position required checks and tremendous awareness pre-snap. It was very time consuming from a film study and SWOT standpoint, but was quite easy to play from the on field standpoint. The 34 run defense is predicated upon gap management and flow.

Let's look at a very basic example of an offtackle run with a generic 26 handoff. For those that don't know the nomenclature, the 26 means the halfback runs the ball through the six hole, which is the right side hole between the tackle and the tight end. The SILB is the playside defender. In a generic "30 basic" call, the SILB is responsible for the C gap. This is the gap between the tackle and the TE. The SILB reads the offtackle run from the blocking scheme, usually by reading the guard trying to seal him, or the TE cracking if the z on the jet also cracks the playside OLB. The read is three steps to the football, engage and shed if it is a guard, stack and drive into the hole if it is the TE. In order to execute this assignment, the backer needs exceptional hip strength, decent quad and lower back strength, and to a certain degree; good front delt, tricep and upper pec strength. It is also critical to speak about the importance of burst. In sealing the run plays, the player needs a great burst to the hole. It is critical to the play that the linebacker arrive at optimum momentum in order to hold the LOS and maintain gap integrity. Driving an opposing player back is not about brute strength. It is a function of hip explosion, momentum, and technique. Compare this to the flow to the football, covering recievers out of the backfield, covering the TE, and downfield pursuit requirements of the Will. The Will is a far more athletic position than the Mike, and obviously, it has many more responsibilities.

Before the geekout gets too far, I think that it is necessary to speak on the Mike's difficulty from a playing standpoint. Physically, you need only hips, acceleration and technique. These are all acquired in the weight room, with a moderate degree of athleticism required to build upon. The actual urgency to fill the position is frankly like the urgency to fill the need at fullback. Yes, it is an integral starting role in the defense, but it is hardly a position that the scheme is predicated upon.

Last edited:
Weakest or the one with the most unanswered questions? Myself, I don't yet know what NE has at CB or TE, LS looks to have some stability. NE is going through the process that provides those answers, time for a little patience.

Who's impatient? Not me. I assume BB has his finger on the pulse of the LB corps pulse will make adjustments accordingly. And I assume he will have a shadow roster in place for the season. I'm not particularly worried about the position, but more so than other areas of the team I think it is a work in progress.

We're freakin deep at long snapper!

With a different defensive philosophy our CBs would play at the line of scrimmage and look to stop the dink and dunk yet be more susceptible to the long ball.

We always bump at the line and play physical. It was like that with Mangina and it was like that with Capers. Bumping at the line does not influence long balls. The Dline has more of an impact on that.

However, an improved pass rush usually negates this long ball threat since the WR need more time to get open given that the CB is sticking to them tightly.

Long ball, intermediate ball, dink-dunks....we cover them all dude.

I think that too much is made out of the SILB or Mike (depending on scheme, but for ease of discourse, let's assume there isn't a Will and a Mike, just a S/WILB) here. I have experience with both positions, but in my scheme the strongside inside postion was the Mike. Due to this, the position required checks and tremendous awareness pre-snap. It was very time consuming from a film study and SWOT standpoint, but was quite easy to play from the on field standpoint. The 34 run defense is predicated upon gap management and flow.

Let's look at a very basic example of an offtackle run with a generic 26 handoff. For those that don't know the nomenclature, the 26 means the halfback runs the ball through the six hole, which is the right side hole between the tackle and the tight end. The SILB is the playside defender. In a generic "30 basic" call, the SILB is responsible for the C gap. This is the gap between the tackle and the TE. The SILB reads the offtackle run from the blocking scheme, usually by reading the guard trying to seal him, or the TE cracking if the z on the jet also cracks the playside OLB. The read is three steps to the football, engage and shed if it is a guard, stack and drive into the hole if it is the TE. In order to execute this assignment, the backer needs exceptional hip strength, decent quad and lower back strength, and to a certain degree; good front delt, tricep and upper pec strength. It is also critical to speak about the importance of burst. In sealing the run plays, the player needs a great burst to the hole. It is critical to the play that the linebacker arrive at optimum momentum in order to hold the LOS and maintain gap integrity. Driving an opposing player back is not about brute strength. It is a function of hip explosion, momentum, and technique. Compare this to the flow to the football, covering recievers out of the backfield, covering the TE, and downfield pursuit requirements of the Will. The Will is a far more athletic position than the Mike, and obviously, it has many more responsibilities.

Before the geekout gets too far, I think that it is necessary to speak on the Mike's difficulty from a playing standpoint. Physically, you need only hips, acceleration and technique. These are all acquired in the weight room, with a moderate degree of athleticism required to build upon. The actual urgency to fill the position is frankly like the urgency to fill the need at fullback. Yes, it is an integral starting role in the defense, but it is hardly a position that the scheme is predicated upon.

In a nut:

Mike (aka SILB) - takes on guards,rb's, te's -you name it.
Very physical role

Excellent breakdown on the defensive philosophy of the 34 WILB and SILB

I agree that we don't yet know what we have at TE and CB. However,

At TE, we have six players on the roster, including all of last year's TE's. While we don't know who will have what role (or who will be on the roster), I think that we can have confidence that this position will show improvement.

At CB, we were clearly in great shape after the first day of the draft, replacing O'Neal and Lew Sanders with Bodden and Springs. And we should expect something from our two sophomores and a 1st round quality rookie. And for insurance and for this transition year we had Hobbs. Then, Belichick showed faith in the five by trading Hobbs. Maybe neither Bodden or Springs will be as good as Hobbs. However, as long as one produces, we should be in reasonable shape, certainly better than last year. But sure, we have SO MANY good options that we don't KNOW what will happen.

At LB, the situation is a bit different. We are not sure that we have the players or any insurance if the players are not up to the task. There is Thomas, Mayo and the many, many questions. Compare the secondary with the linebackers and see whether you really consider the situations equally questionable.

STARTERS
Secondary: Bodden, Springs, Sanders, Meriweather
Linebackers: Thomas, Woods, Mayo, Bruschi

PRIMARY BACKUPS
Secondary: Wheatley, Chung, Wilhite
Linebackers: Crable, Guyton, Banta-Cain

FINAL SPOTS
Secondary: Butler, McGowan/Williams
Linebacker: Redd, Appleby

I agree that we don't yet know what we have at TE and CB. However,

At TE, we have six players on the roster, including all of last year's TE's. While we don't know who will have what role (or who will be on the roster), I think that we can have confidence that this position will show improvement.

At CB, we were clearly in great shape after the first day of the draft, replacing O'Neal and Lew Sanders with Bodden and Springs. And we should expect something from our two sophomores and a 1st round quality rookie. And for insurance and for this transition year we had Hobbs. Then, Belichick showed faith in the five by trading Hobbs. Maybe neither Bodden or Springs will be as good as Hobbs. However, as long as one produces, we should be in reasonable shape, certainly better than last year. But sure, we have SO MANY good options that we don't KNOW what will happen.

At LB, the situation is a bit different. We are not sure that we have the players or any insurance if the players are not up to the task. There is Thomas, Mayo and the many, many questions. Compare the secondary with the linebackers and see whether you really consider the situations equally questionable.

STARTERS
Secondary: Bodden, Springs, Sanders, Meriweather
Linebackers: Thomas, Woods, Mayo, Bruschi

PRIMARY BACKUPS
Secondary: Wheatley, Chung, Wilhite
Linebackers: Crable, Guyton, Banta-Cain

FINAL SPOTS
Secondary: Butler, McGowan/Williams
Linebacker: Redd, Appleby

Mg,

I would say like Box we have unaswered question to us fans, but not to the Coaches,who see these LBs every day.

From what we saw at the OTAs, through the eyes of writers, Crabel HAS beefed Up, and looks healthy and good. Even so soon, that is a one partial confirmation. Redd did get promoted to the active squad last year, and did get some snaps as a rookie. Maybe it was forced, but he did.

I would say that we have A D Thomas and Woods as the Starters with prime backups, TBC and Crabel, with Redd as the fifth OLB and third backup. Craig is a PS developmental guy.

At ILB they have three, Mayo, Bruschi and, Guyton who played half time last year, as the third guy. McKenzie would have been the fourth and final ILB. Now there is an final opening for Alexander, and/or perhaps Appleby. That fills the 9 position LB corps.

If Burgess or another comes, than they take the sixth OLB position, while freeing AD to become both the 1st OLB, and the fourth ILB as well.

I agree with your analysis. My bottom line is that we can do better than having Redd, Alexander and Appleby as the only real compeititors for two roster spots on the 2009 patriots. And, I expect at this time in July, we will have 2-3 non-rookie linebackers in camp who are not currently on the roster.

Mg,

I would say like Box we have unaswered question to us fans, but not to the Coaches,who see these LBs every day.

From what we saw at the OTAs, through the eyes of writers, Crabel HAS beefed Up, and looks healthy and good. Even so soon, that is a one partial confirmation. Redd did get promoted to the active squad last year, and did get some snaps as a rookie. Maybe it was forced, but he did.

I would say that we have A D Thomas and Woods as the Starters with prime backups, TBC and Crabel, with Redd as the fifth OLB and third backup. Craig is a PS developmental guy.

At ILB they have three, Mayo, Bruschi and, Guyton who played half time last year, as the third guy. McKenzie would have been the fourth and final ILB. Now there is an final opening for Alexander, and/or perhaps Appleby. That fills the 9 position LB corps.

If Burgess or another comes, than they take the sixth OLB position, while freeing AD to become both the 1st OLB, and the fourth ILB as well.

I agree with your analysis. My bottom line is that we can do better than having Redd, Alexander and Appleby as the only real compeititors for two roster spots on the 2009 patriots. And, I expect at this time in July, we will have 2-3 non-rookie linebackers in camp who are not currently on the roster.

I won't disagree with you at all, Mg. Any position can be improved. But with respect to the LBs, whether we do or not, it is mostly only a matter of depth. I think we have our four satisfactory starters, at least two who are stars, as well as fair depth.:D

In retrospect, when the Pats had their "great LBs corps" they usuallly only had three OLBs and three ILBs. The rest were scrubs. And as often as not one of thr six was dinged up and not available, in reality. We may not be as well equipped with proven starters. But we are actually deeper now than we usually were. That is some food to ponder, that there may not be two spots on the LB corps to assign to a pure ST player. :eek::eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots