PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Defensive Line

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmt57

Staff member
Reaction score
Bruce Allen takes a look at the defensive line for Patriots Daily, with an opinion on each of the eleven players in training camp: Wilfork, Warre, Warren, Wright, Lewis, Pryor, Brace, Deaderick, Weston, Richard, and Love.

Positional Previews ? Defensive Line | Patriots Daily

Here is his summary:

This group isn’t as good as it was a couple of seasons ago, but still has to be considered among the top units in the league. With Wilfork and Warren starting to get up there in age, it is imperative to develop younger linemen who can come in a contribute. Ron Brace might be the most important in that category. If he can develop into a guy who can spell Wilfork as well as play an end position, it will be a huge boost. Gerard Warren and Lewis provide some veteran stability and experience, giving the youngsters time to develop.

Tom Curran sees Vince Wilfork and then a whole lot of "serviceable" players on the defnsive line in this piece for Comcast SportsNet. He does note that Ty Warren was hindered by both high and low ankle sprains last year, and the DL includes four former-first-round draft picks among their talent. In summary he considers the unit to be a bit of a question mark that could make or break this year's team.

Hold the line, Vince

No place on the Patriots roster has more highly-drafted talent. Wilfork, Ty Warren, newly-added Gerard Warren and Damione Lewis were all first rounders drafted 21st, 13th, third and 12th respectively. Then you have hard-working Mike Wright, surprisingly adept Myron Pryor, 2009 second-rounder Ron Brace and two new draftees Brandon Deaderick and Kade Weston.

That’s a whole lot of talent.

Yet the lasting image of the defensive line over the past six months – and the defense as a whole – is the first play from scrimmage in the playoff game against the Ravens. That little ditty was when Ray Rice went untouched for 83 yards and a touchdown. A parade float could have been driven through the hole created.

. . .

There’s not a position group on this team that isn’t vital to the team’s overall success. But defensive line – along with quarterback and offensive line – is one of those make or break spots. You can’t muddle along and still be if the DL doesn’t perform.

The Colts' Jeff Saturday ranks Vince Wilfork as the second toughest defensive tackle he has to face. Saturday places the Ravens' Haloti Ngata at number one, the Jets' Kris Jenkins third, the Cowboys' Jay Ratliff number four, and has a three-way tie at number five between the Vikings' Kevin Williams, the Redskins' Albert Haynesworth, and the Titans' Tony Brown.

NFL Videos: Best in the biz: Defensive Tackle

"I've played this guy on a ton in my career. He makes the Patriots defense go. Nobody talks about him. He's a great run stuffer, but he can also get great push against the play-action pass, and he's a smart player who really helps his linebackers really shine in that defense."

The Boston Globe's Shalise Manza Young takes a look at the Pats' defensive line and questions how the Pats have filled Richard Seymour's role. She sees the three biggest factors as being Ron Brace's progression, how much Gerard Warren has left, and how much the Pats might use the 4-3.

10 Questions: Has Seymour's spot been filled? - Extra Points - Boston.com

So on the field, that leaves Mike Wright, Gerard Warren and Brace as top contenders to take the starting role opposite Ty Warren. Wright has played every role on the line since arriving in New England, and is a steady contributor. Gerard Warren was drafted ahead of Seymour in 2001, and started all 32 games over the last two years for Oakland; during mini-camp,he was with Wilfork and Ty Warren, though of course things can change. This spring, Brace candidly said that he simply wasn't prepared last year for the mental rigors of being in the NFL, adding that he has put in a lot of work to learn the ins and outs of the Patriots' playbook and has watched film for hours.

Richard Hill of Pats Pulpit thinks Gerard Warren will beat out Damione Lewis for one of the final defensive line spots on the roster. In his opinion Lewis doesn't really fit in at DE, while DT is filled with Wilfork, Brace pryor and Wright. Hill thinks G Warren will be the #2 RDE - and that either Deaderick or Weston will emerge as an able, every down player.

Patriots Roster Prediction #41: DE/DT Gerard Warren - Pats Pulpit

Past Role: In all of his stints with his prior teams, Warren was utilized as a 4-3 Defensive Tackle, which translates well to the 3-4 Defensive End spot. He has never been a sack monster, but he has the ability to apply pressure and get near the opposing quarterback. He has great size for a 3-4 DE, standing at 6-4, 300 lbs, but he is unproven in the 3-4 defense.
Recently, he has been mediocre, if not "bad", against the run, but has provided solid defense when rushing the quarterback.

Predicted Role: Judging by Warren's strengths, he won't be an every down defensive end for the Patriots. His versatility will allow him to remain on the field for both the 3-4 and 4-3 strategies, but the Patriots need someone who can stop the run from the RDE position. Warren will be a rotational player in the defense.

More and more folks are seeing G. Warren replacing Green on the roster.

So we have the four W's and Brace, our backup NT.
======================================
QUESTION ONE
How solid are these five? One major question is the durability of Ty Warren.

QUESTION TWO
What additional roles need to be met in the additional roster positions?

We need an addition DT, presumably either Lewis or Pryor, or perhaps even both. One would give us the same roster depth as in 2009. I have no clue as to why Pryor is considered a lock over Lewis.

We could use a developmental DE or even two. It seems that our 7th rounders are destined for the Practice Squad. We didn't NEED an additional DE last year. Besides, all the OLB's play DE in certain formations. Burgess played DE in more defensive reps than did Ty Warren!!!!! The reality is that we have lots of DE's.
================================

BOTTOM LINE FOR ME

The question for me is whether we keep both Lewis and Pryor, giving us seven DL's. My choice would be to keep six as we did last year, expecting more reps from Brace. My sixth would be whoever wins the competition between Lewis and Pryor. If Pryor lose, he may bring us a late round draft choice.

Karen Guregian of the Boston Herald looks at some of the roster spots up for grabs; here's a focus on DE.

A look at seven spots up for grabs at Patriots camp - BostonHerald.com

Position: Defensive end

Locks to start: None.

Prime contenders: Gerard Warren, Damione Lewis.

Battle lines -- Both Warren and Lewis were veteran pickups during the offseason. Both were first-round draft choices in the Richard Seymour draft in 2001. Warren was taken third overall, Seymour sixth, and Lewis 12th. Both are vying for his old job at right defensive end. Both are transitioning from a 4-3 to a 3-4 defense and have shown to be tough and physical enough to handle the job. Of the two, Lewis is quicker and more adept at getting to the quarterback. One or both should be able to contribute and, at the very least, improve an area of weakness from last season.

Subplot -- Mike Wright, the jack of all trades on the defensive line, spent considerable time at end last year along with the now departed Jarvis Green, who joined Denver via free agency. Wright will be in the mix, but seems more suited to subbing in for Ty Warren at left tackle, or Vince Wilfork on the nose.

Tedy Bruschi comments on the Pats' defensive line.

Tedy Bruschi and Mike Reiss break down the New England Patriots heading into training camp - ESPN Boston

I think this defense has a lot to prove based on the way they were manhandled by the Baltimore Ravens in the playoffs last year. One of the big questions is whether Gerard Warren can be that five-technique defensive end that the run-defense can count on. We saw the Ravens run away from Ty Warren and Vince Wilfork, coming down over and over again on Jarvis Green and Mike Wright. The Patriots saw that, moved Wilfork to end, and then the Ravens responded by running up the middle. That was an example of a team exploiting a weakness in the 3-4 defense, and I think that five-technique defensive end opposite Ty Warren was the weakest link along the defensive line. If you don't have a d-lineman that can anchor and take on blocks in this defense the way the Patriots play it, the linebackers will be helpless against linemen who have unabated angles on the second level, and the outside linebackers will have too much space to defend. In the 3-4 defense, the most valuable players are those guys up front. If Gerard Warren, Ron Brace, Damione Lewis, Mike Wright etc. can't be that one guy to solidify that three-man front, it's going to be a long year.

I like Bruschi's insight and analysis, even when it is painful to hear or read.

Interesting column; when he was a freshman in high school, Kade Weston was 6-2 and 277 pounds - but rather than playing football, he was a soccer goalie!

Meet the Rookies: DL Kade Weston

“A lot of people were talking about how I fit the 3-4 scheme, like the Patriots. And when I worked out for them we were in the classroom doing work on the board and I was picking up stuff pretty good,” Weston said. “We went outside and did stuff. We connected and I felt it wouldn’t be a bad fit. They seemed impressed. They were also impressed by my performance at our Pro Day.”

An interior tackle in Georgia’s scheme, Weston projects as a five-technique 3-4 end in New England. Interestingly, it’s a positional hole on the Patriots depth chart since the team traded another former Bulldogs alum, Richard Seymour, last summer. Both players were coached by Randy Garner at Georgia, and though entering the NFL polar opposites on the prospect spectrum, Weston plans to reach out to his Bulldog brother.

Robert Lee of the Providence Journal thinks the biggest camp question on defense is who will replace Jarvis Green at RDE?

Five questions surrounding Patriots defense | New England Patriots | projo.com | The Providence Journal

While the loss of Green is big, the Patriots did bulk up their defensive line by adding free agents Warren and Lewis, both former 2001 first-round draft picks. They will be competing for the starting job with Mike Wright, who started nine games last year for the Pats, and Ron Brace, though Lewis is much better suited to playing as an interior lineman than an end, and Brace underperformed last year. Wright showed last season that he could start as a defensive end. He has been a steady contributor during his time in New England. Warren started all 32 games over the last two years for Oakland, so it will likely be either Wright or Warren starting alongside left end Ty Warren and nose tackle Vince Wilfork in the Pats’ base 3-4 defense.

I am kind of bummed that Weston is on the pup. Thanks to reamer, i was able to see him on the secdigitalnetwork and i liked what i saw. He splits alot of time with atkins but you can see the difference in their bursts at the snap. Of all the picks after mesko, weston has the best chance to make it in my opinion.

I am kind of bummed that Weston is on the pup. Thanks to reamer, i was able to see him on the secdigitalnetwork and i liked what i saw. He splits alot of time with atkins but you can see the difference in their bursts at the snap. Of all the picks after mesko, weston has the best chance to make it in my opinion.

Hey, thanks for the shout-out. Glad it was a useful tool for you. :)

I, too, have high hopes for Weston. He's got the raw ability, and I like his chances to eventually become a prime contributor to the club, but I don't think he'll do much until the end of the year.

Richard Hill of Pats Pulpit profiles Ron Brace

Patriots Roster Prediction #49: DE/DT Ron Brace - Pats Pulpit

As a rookie, Brace learned how to handle football at the professional level, even going as far as admitting that the NFL game was "a big shock" to him. As Wilfork was injured in December with an ankle injury, Brace played the bulk of his downs.

Predicted Role: With a full year in the system, and a more defined role in the defense, Brace should become a part of the rotation at defensive end. Brace should play defensive end on running downs, splitting downs with Gerard Warren, and Brace should come off the field on obvious passing downs for a better pass rusher. Brace should also remain on the field when the defense plays the 4-3 defense.

Also, look for Brace to come on the field to give Ty Warren breaks at Left Defensive End and Vince Wilfork at Nose Tackle.

Summary: Look for Brace to see greater playing time this upcoming season as he becomes an active member in the defensive line rotation. He'll be the top back-up for many positions and should prove invaluable as a DE in the 3-4, and a DT in the 4-3 as either Derrick Burgess or Jermaine Cunningham moves up from OLB to DE.

Chris Forsberg of espnBoston says Gerard Warren getting up to speed on Pats D in a column which also includes a brief video from Mike Reiss.

For his part, Warren said he doesn't have a preference as a tackle or end and hopes his versatility can allow New England to offer different defensive looks.

"Just on the field contributing," Warren said when asked his preferred position. "That's the way we view it up front. [Versatility] means a whole lot more combinations for us if we can play different positions on the line."

Officially signed amid the draft in April, Patriots coach Bill Belichick previously noted the flexibility Warren provides.

"He's played all over," Belichick said in April. "He's played for the Raiders; he's played three technique; he's played one technique. For the Browns, he was an inside player. He usually played inside the tackles. In Denver, they moved him around a little bit as well. So I think that he's a guy that can really play from the tackle in.

"Like Damione Lewis, Ty Warren and Vince, guys like that, I don't think you're going to see him outside of the tackles very often. But from tackle to tackle, I think they can play from head-up-to-tackle to head-up-to-center and all of the spots in between. They've all done that. So he definitely has some versatility from both the left side and the right side, and in different alignments in there, and on both early downs and on passing downs -- as Damione has, as Vince has. So think there's some versatility with players like that."

Warren also talked about the Pats' defense being "completely new", and that the biggest adjustment from a 4-3 to the 3-4 is the communication and technique. He said he's been picking Vince Wilfork's brain, wanting to "see how he made his adaptations and adjustments as fast as he did, and to be as successful as he is."

Last edited:
WEEI's Christopher Price profiles Kyle Love

It Is What It Is Rating the Roster, Training Camp Edition (Part 1)

76. Defensive lineman Kyle Love: The 6-foot-1, 310-pound Love has some positional versatility, having played defensive tackle and nose as a collegian at Mississippi State, but the Patriots went out and got a few veteran defensive linemen (Gerard Warren, Damione Lewis) and drafted a couple of others (Brandon Deaderick, Kade Weston). And we haven’t even talked about the young defensive linemen they drafted last year (Myron Pryor, Ron Brace, Darryl Richard). You get the picture.

WEEI's Christopher Price profiles Kyle Love

It Is What It Is Rating the Roster, Training Camp Edition (Part 1)

76. Defensive lineman Kyle Love: The 6-foot-1, 310-pound Love has some positional versatility, having played defensive tackle and nose as a collegian at Mississippi State, but the Patriots went out and got a few veteran defensive linemen (Gerard Warren, Damione Lewis) and drafted a couple of others (Brandon Deaderick, Kade Weston). And we haven’t even talked about the young defensive linemen they drafted last year (Myron Pryor, Ron Brace, Darryl Richard). You get the picture.

lovetron.jpg

Darryl Dawkins, now he would have made for an interesting Defensive End ...

WEEI's Christopher Price looks at four defensive linemen on the bubble, with more of a likelihood of landing on the practice squad than on the 53-man roster.

It Is What It Is Rating the Roster, Training Camp Edition (Part 2)

70. Defensive lineman Adrian Grady: A fringe prospect who has bounced from the Colts to the Patriots to the Rams and back again to New England over the course of last season, the 6-foot-1, 290-pounder ended the 2009 season on the Patriots’ practice squad. Perhaps the most memorable incident of Grady’s otherwise relatively forgettable first season in New England occurred when he was given Richard Seymour’s locker shortly after Seymour was traded to Oakland. (For what it’s worth, it’s not good if you’ve spent nearly a year on a team and your page on the team’s web site looks like this.)

68. Defensive lineman Brandon Deaderick: An Alabama product, the experience the seventh-round pick gleaned from working with Belichick guy Nick Saban should also serve as a big help in the transition to professional football. He should compete for a spot as a defensive end (likely on the left side), but the 6-foot-4, 305-pound defensive end has a few bigger bodies in front of him, including Ty Warren, Myron Pryor and Darryl Richard. Considering whose in front of him on the depth chart and his draft position, if he stays healthy and continues to progress, Deaderick is a likely practice squad candidate.

67. Defensive lineman Kade Weston: A seventh-rounder, watching him this spring the thing that stood out for me about the 6-foot-5, 315-pounder was the length of his arms. He’s not Kendrick Perkins, but he’s not too far off, and it brings an intriguing aspect to his game. Based on his collegiate background, he’s also got some good positional versatility, something the Patriots have always treasured in their backup linemen. (Just ask Mike Wright.)

64. Defensive lineman Darryl Richard: A guy who came in with an excellent pedigree — just ask anyone at Georgia Tech, who thought so highly of him he was asked to sit on the Presidential Search Committee when he was a student. On the surface, it might not look like it, but the Patriots remain high on the 6-foot-4, 290-pound Richard. He was taken in the seventh round of the 2009 draft and spent the year on the practice squad, but like Wendell, New England didn’t pay him like a practice squadder but as an active player. Needless to say, Richard is a guy who I am very interested in watching perform this summer.

Training Camp observation from Jeff Howe of NESN.

Patriots Use Multiple Looks, Shuffling Rotations for Defensive Line, Linebackers - New England Patriots - NESN.com

Defensive Line Rotations

Gerard Warren
and Mike Wright are getting plenty of reps with the starting defensive linemen, but the one noticeable thing about the D-line is the amount of rotations. The linemen are moving all across the line from one play to the next. In live action, this could help the defense key on the other team's offensive game plan, particularly if offenses change the play at the line to target certain defensive linemen.

I see impressive beef on the DL but no speed. Lots of DTs, no DEs.

IMHO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye