PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Defensive line

Status
Not open for further replies.

D-Money

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
We can talk about our CBs all we want but i feel this defensive line has been terrible and hasnt been performing as expected.They get no pressure.Seymour looks doned.If this line played well then maybe our CBs wouldnt have to be covering wrs all the time.It seems like the opposing QB has all time to throw.

We can talk all day about the secondary.

If they get after the QB tonight, suddenly this secondary will look good. It's not about who you have at DB, it's about who you have up front. If you get to the quarterback he's not completing a pass, period. This is why Bill never pays good for DBs, they're not worth it when you can put the money up front.

The problem is, Seymour and co. are getting no push up front and Thomas and Vrabel can't attack the QB. Until this changes this D will continue to suck. Tonight, they will be obliterated if they don't get to Cutler.

The pressure has been so weak this year it makes yuo wonder if there was a scheme change that may have something to do with it.

Orrr... it was one game and Jarvis Green got hurt early on.

The week before they put tremendous pressure on O'Sullivan.

Stopping LT was more important than focusing on the pass rush.

Or I have no idea what I'm talking about, I'm a homer and the talent that we have in the front 7 (and especially front 3/4) is not really talent, just fantasy.

if i remember correctly, denver has given up 2 or so sacks all year. they have a very good o-line, though i'm not sure how often they have faced the 3-4 (they did against san diego, so at least once). i agree, those guys up front definitely need to get pressure, and they need to get it consistently.

But we do have talent in the front 7.

Ty Warren is good, obviously.

Seymour can be good. In week 2 against the Jets remember how he manhandled them all game? That's what he can be, but he hasn't in a couple weeks.

Vince Wilfork. Maybe the 2nd best NT in the game, maybe.

Bruschi is a wash, Mayo is a rookie and although he has looked good it's hard for him to make that sort of impact. Vrabel WAS good, I don't know where the hell he died at. Thomas, I have no answer for. For such a great OLB, he can't over worth a ****, too slow to set the edge and is a weak pass rusher thus far.

We need athletes at LB badly.

Yep. No pass rush tonight and we are going to get absolutely lit up. BB talked about some of the things we needed to shore up on defense last week after the loss. Let's hope pass rush is one of them. I don't need to see the QB constantly on his back. That's unrealistic. But I at least want to see our front seven getting some sort of forward push (the keyword being FORWARD).

I agree that the Front Seven needs to pressure the QB and keep him from rolling out where he's shown to be a playmaker. Not necessarily sacks but pressure him into premature ejaculation of the ball. I'm simply concerned about lack of pressure at this time but as an impatient redhead I'll move into PANIC BUTTON mode if it's MIA tonite.

After passrush comes covering WRs deep. Belichick uncharacteristically commented about the coverage last week saying that it's not acceptable to ever let the guy get behind you. As close to public criticism of the CB and safety play as he'll come.

Last edited:
You guys could get your wish tonight. We might change schemes and focus on getting more pressure on the QB, calling lots of blitzes. Depending their success, the defensive backs might look like heros or like the worst defensive backs in the league. Cutler could score 40 points if he survives frequent blitzes. Yes, I know that we could score more than 40; or did we forget who we have at quarterback?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes