PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Defensive line with Wilfork signed

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not buying. You use our ALL of our first five picks for the front seven, ignoring all other needs. And in the end, the best you can do at RDE is to have two DT/NT's as starter and backup.

Cody, Splikes, Dunlop, Lane, Kindle/Hughes

While I certainly think we need to address WR on day 1, front 7 is still a huge need. I guess the TBC signing shows the Patriots believe he is a starting caliber player, but even then, there are holes at the other OLB position, the SILB position depending upon your view of Guyton, and most certainly at the DE spot Seymour vacated.

Since we have guys like Wright & Guyton, maybe its not as pressing as wide receiver where we simply don't have the bodies. But the front 7 is as upgradeable an area on this team as any.

Last edited:
Ochmed -

I don't see Dunlap or Kindle being a Patriot. Dunlap's combine showing didn't help him at all.

I understand your liking Cody, but I prefer Odrick at DE. I'm good with Hughes and Lane, but I'd rather see an OT/OG in there over Kindle.

And I'd question whether or not taking a WR in the 2nd round wouldn't be prudent.

While I certainly think we need to address WR on day 1, front 7 is still a huge need. I guess the TBC signing shows the Patriots believe he is a starting caliber player, but even then, there are holes at the other OLB position, the SILB position depending upon your view of Guyton, and most certainly at the DE spot Seymour vacated.

Since we have guys like Wright & Guyton, maybe its not as pressing as wide receiver where we simply don't have the bodies. But the front 7 is as upgradeable an area on this team as any.

BradyManny - You do know that the Draft is now spread out over 3 days. Thursday will be Round 1. Friday is rounds 2 & 3. and Saturday is rounds 4-7.

With the signing of Wilfork, the one guy that does come off my board on day day one is Cam Thomas. Come draft day, he is someone that I feel will sneak into late round one value with the need for a 3/4 NT being so huge on more and more teams. More and more Odrick seems like the perfect replacement for Seymour. I don't see any DBs worthy of a late round one selection at the moment. A guy like Golden Tate might draw some interest. There's a couple conversion guys like Graham and Dunlap, but we know all to well the stiff requirements that BB holds for selecting a LB early on.

Last edited:
Ochmed -

I don't see Dunlap or Kindle being a Patriot. Dunlap's combine showing didn't help him at all.

After a few days to think about it, you are probably correct about Dunlap. While he is the first athlete I have seen in a long time that I think could be the next McGinest, the red flags and sputtering motor are just to much to ignore.

I have been thinking along these similar lines, but prefer the Big Elephant lineup.

Base Defense 1st string

DE Warren------NT Mt. Cody--------DT/DE Wilfork---|
OLB TBC--------ILB Mayo-------ILB/OLB Guyton ----------|---DE/OLB Dunlap

Base Defense Second String

DE Wright-------NT Brace________DT/DE Pryor---|
OLB Kindle or Hughes---ILB Spikes-----ILB/OLB Ninkovich----|----DE/OLB Lane

Nickel Defense

DE Warren-------------NT Wilfork---------DT/DE Pryor----DE/OLB Dunlap
OLB TBC--------ILB Mayo------ILB Guyton

Dime Defense

DE Warren------------DT/NT Pryor------------DE/OLB Dunlap
OLB TBC-----------ILB Mayo-------------ILB Guyton

Thanks Ochmed (and BOR) for the defensive alignments 'charts'. It gives alot of better info for me and other less knowledgeable fans to understand - much better than those published depth charts which are quickly outdated by injuries and only take into account base defenses.

My only critique of your strategy is the Cody pick. Of the four defenses shown above, Cody is only in one of the lines. And assuming that we would probably need to use one of our 2nd rounders to pick him - I don't see the value. 2nd rounders are like gold in this draft and Pats got more holes than your local Dunkin Doughnuts. Take out Cody and I'm happy. Use the 2nd instead for the best TE (at pick #53). A TE at that pick should hopefully get one of the top 3 TE's. Hopefully one who can not only catch but block well enough to help protect TB.

Just for the record, in my perfect world the other earlier 2nd rounders would be spent on OLB/DE and RB. DE in the first round. (WR would wait til 2011 draft which looks loaded). RB would be swapped to a CB if Bodden doesn't return.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back