Status
Not open for further replies.

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
FRONT SEVEN
DE - Sheard, Ninkovich, Jones, Moore, Buchanan
DT - Branch, Siliga, Easley, Jones, draftee (or free agent)
LB - Mayo, Hightower, Collins, open
LB/ST - White

This looks pretty good to me, with the addition of a DT.
======================
I would also note that we are set at safety, nickel and dime back.
======================
The obvious elephant in the room is the situation at corner.

Add Jordan Phillips at NT and I'll be a happy camper.

Also Carl Davis out of Iowa... either of those would make me happy...

Of course every year I pick a couple of players I like for Pats first pick and it never happens...LOL

Of course every year I pick a couple of players I like for Pats first pick and it never happens...LOL

Would anybody be upset if bb took Carl Davis at 32?

FRONT SEVEN
DE - Sheard, Ninkovich, Jones, Moore, Buchanan
DT - Branch, Siliga, Easley, Jones, draftee (or free agent)
LB - Mayo, Hightower, Collins, open
LB/ST - White

This looks pretty good to me, with the addition of a DT.
======================
I would also note that we are set at safety, nickel and dime back.
======================
The obvious elephant in the room is the situation at corner.

IMO the other (unpredictable) elephant is injuries. Looking at that DT line, I believe every single one was dinged up recently and missed #s of games (maybe my recollection is tainted by VW taking so many snaps though). So to me that makes the DT guys a bit more of a depth concern.

if those guys stay healthy enough through the season - it should be ok talent-wise (assuming the draft DT is a 1 or 2 rounder and can contribute SOMETHING during the year).

Yes, a 325# run stuffing DT worthy of the 32nd pick would have me pretty excited for this season.

And I am already jazzed to see Easley make his presence felt on the field. If he can come back healthy and strong he would make the unit really special.

I've stopped getting behind any particular player because in years past the players I always want just shoot up draft boards on draft day a good 10-20 picks before we would even get a sniff of them.

We definitely have needs (CB, G, DT) but I don't think we're in a position that we need to use our 1st rounder on need. Go BPA with that pick, which is probably going to be a G anyway, and handle CB/DT in the 2nd-4th rounds.

We definitely have needs (CB, G, DT) but I don't think we're in a position that we need to use our 1st rounder on need. Go BPA with that pick, which is probably going to be a G anyway, and handle CB/DT in the 2nd-4th rounds.

The way this draft class is shaping up BPA might be WR. So many good ones... RB too

Note to BB : Don't draft a RB early...PLEASE.... :)

Draft that special OL, DT or CB before you even think of a RB...

But I'm sure BB already knows this....

I do not see a high pick on a DT.
I think we are going with Siliga,Branch,Easley,Jones and whoever

I do not see a high pick on a DT.
I think we are going with Siliga,Branch,Easley,Jones and whoever

I don't understand.

One of our most serious 2014 defensive weakness was defensive against the run, especially in short yardage situations. We've lost Wilfork, who played OK in that role (well enough to be a $4M a year NT). How is that we don't need a top level DT?

According to ESPN, there are 4 CBs, 4 DTs and 0 G's ranked in the top 32.

Whether we want to admit it or not, Pats have experienced a talent drain this offseason at CB and potentially DT. Getting elite/outstanding talent that has the right mental makeup and can be maximized in the team's system is not easy. What is for sure is that the Pats won't reach and they won't settle. The pick, the player, the need and the fit must be 100% aligned before they hand in the card. If not, they'll dump the pick.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft/rankings/_/year/2015

Last edited:
According to ESPN, there are 4 CBs, 4 DTs and 0 G's ranked in the top 32.

Whether we want to admit it or not, Pats have experienced a talent drain this offseason at CB and potentially DT. Getting elite/outstanding talent that has the right mental makeup and can be maximized in the team's system is not easy. What is for sure is that the Pats won't reach and they won't settle. The pick the player, the need and the fit need to need to be 100% aligned.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft/rankings/_/year/2015

I would note that many of the "top 32" do NOT have first round grades, so choosing one of them at 32 would be a slight reach.

I agree that we might indeed reach a bit and draft one of the corners or DT's. To get value, Belichick might move up or down. or even stay, given the need. There are lots of corners who will likely be draft in the first two rounds.

I am not as confident with regard to finding a DT after 32 who will be better than our four incumbents for 2015. We do need a DT for the future.

Perhaps we can find one corner that can contribute some in his rookie year as an outside corner (we are set at nickel with Arrington and McClain). I suspect that none of the draftees will be a better choice in his rookie year than what we have in Butler, Dennard, Ryan and Fletcher.

I don't understand.

One of our most serious 2014 defensive weakness was defensive against the run, especially in short yardage situations. We've lost Wilfork, who played OK in that role (well enough to be a $4M a year NT). How is that we don't need a top level DT?
I thought we played the run very well after the early part of the season.
Siliga was out for a long stretch of the season. Branch was playing his way into shape. Easley was still recovering from injury. I think BB likes these players as his DT group.

I don't understand.

In the second half of the season, we had the #2 run D in the NFL, at 79 yards per game and a 3.29 ypc (also 2nd) and were tied for the fewest rushing TDs allowed at 2.

Also ranked 2nd in 1st downs by rush with 30 in 8 games.
If run defense was a serious weakness for this team over the second half of the season, then it was pathetic for every team that isn't Detroit.

I thought we played the run very well after the early part of the season.
Siliga was out for a long stretch of the season. Branch was playing his way into shape. Easley was still recovering from injury. I think BB likes these players as his DT group.

I also though that overall the run D was good. They had some challenges early. As you say, Siliga was out, Casey Walker was in. Branch was new. Easley was in/out. Chris Jones missed the MIA game. Losing Mayo was a blow. Playing Chandler Jones in the NASCAR vs MIA week 1 was moronic. No question that they were better at the end of the year than the beginning.

In terms of stopping short yardage plays, the D was poor. The question is why? Personnel? Scheme? Being conservative (not allowing the play action)? At any rate, there is room for improvement.

Last edited:
This is from one of my sources, but I'm hearing Leonard Williams is gonna hit a Pre-Draft Fall and might be available at 32. Just passing along info. And my source is located around the team...works at the McDonald's on North St. TIFWIW

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes