PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Defensive end?

Status
Not open for further replies.

patsfan-1982

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
we now know that mike wright, and ty warren, will start. at defensive end. in the base 3-4.

who backs them up ?

can Myron Pryor, be a spot starter at DE or is Damione Lewis, the best back up right now. do they add a vet for dept later on ?

Re: defensive end ?

we now know that mike wright, and ty warren, will start. at defensive end. in the base 3-4.

who backs them up ?

can Myron Pryor, be a spot starter at DE or is Damione Lewis, the best back up right now. do they add a vet for dept later on ?

I think Damione Lewis will be more than a backup.

I agree that we need a 3-4 DE.
Would like to see us grab somebody.
Last year we got prior in the 7th, let's get another guy like that.

I agree and I dont understand why people are sleeping on a guy who has done a good job vs the run as a DT for 8 years in the NFL who will move out to an easier run D spot playing over the T?

so u have Lewis, starting and wright, on 3rd down. ?

i could see this that would make the run defense better.

DE is our Achilles Heel, in the old sense of the phrase. It's the spot where we're most vulnerable to injury.

I agree that we need a 3-4 DE.
Would like to see us grab somebody.
Last year we got prior in the 7th, let's get another guy like that.

And there's always the rookie free agents that are picked up after the draft.

Sure, I wanted a DE as much as anyone.

This just shows us that Lewis is being counted on. He would have gotten more reps than any rookie. The problem for me is that with 3 DE's, we need a developmental 4th, a 7th DL. However, the patriots have apparently chose to go with six. That being the case, anyone chose after the 3rd would have been headed for the Practice Squad.

I think we'll see Wright there. But Schefter believes that Marcus Spears from the Cowboys could get cut.

I agree and I dont understand why people are sleeping on a guy who has done a good job vs the run as a DT for 8 years in the NFL who will move out to an easier run D spot playing over the T?

I agree, Lewis will be fine.

However, seemed like the draft had a number of excellent prospects that could play in a 3-4 DT scheme. That and a good RB are my only gripes in an otherwise excellent Pats draft.

Clearly BB didn't like the kids enough to draft them.

Last edited:

Marcus Spears would be nice.

I think we'll see Wright there. But Schefter believes that Marcus Spears from the Cowboys could get cut.
Daryl Richard is listed 6'4" some places. Maybe he'll get a look there.

I wouldn't mind having a look at John Henderson...

How about that Brandon Deaderick... maybe he will a nice surprise like Pryor last year. But at the very least can be a decent backup at DE.

How about that Brandon Deaderick... maybe he will a nice surprise like Pryor last year. But at the very least can be a decent backup at DE.

Lewis must figure into the plans, and we did get Deaderick, Richard on the PS and now we signed Gerard Warren. Not exactly 5 technique guys but safety in numbers.

Lewis must figure into the plans, and we did get Deaderick, Richard on the PS and now we signed Gerard Warren. Not exactly 5 technique guys but safety in numbers.
Deaderick is exactly a 5 tech.

Yay! I love the sleeper defensive tackles we picked up. I've always been a fan of Deaderick, and Weston could really surprise in camp.

I suspect that Kade Weston is the guy they drafted as depth at DE (and Nose). He a moose of guy with incredibly long arms that was a DT but would be well suited to the role of a two-gapping DE in the Patriots system. A big Bulldog.

If Reese and company do as well in the late rounds on the line as they did last year...we can expect some contributions from Weston.

This is probably crazy...

But if Adalius Thomas is staying with us why not move him to DE?

Deaderick is a top talent. Lewis and Warren should will also be tried at DE. Among the three, there should be someone to share reps with Wright and backup Warren.
===================

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey