PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Defensive adjustments?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree that taking away the run will be a big part of the gameplan, and would include the short pass and screen.
Surprisingly, I actually would prefer the 4-3 this week (did you ever think you would hear me say that?) with a big front 4. I'm thinking Warren-Wright-Wilfork-Green across the front. Thomas-Guyton-Woods as LBs.
I think size is our best defense against the Jet running game, I think that playaction is less of a concern on 1st down this week, so I can make that sacrifice. I think that our safeties are assinged to the screen game.
When we make them one dimenisonal, 3rd down will be surprise time. Bring lots of people from lots of places, fake it and drop off, disguise coverage, essentially one goal, confuse Sanchez. I would expect a good amount of pressure with coverage that foreces him to throw 4 yards on 3rd and 8 or eat the ball if he doesnt.
If we get to 3rd down where we can befuddle the youngster, it will carryover to other situaitons too by the 4th quarter.
DO NOT be surprised if the best kept secret BB tactic occurs. Where we play somewhat vanilla and predictably early in the game to make Sanchez think he sees it, he knows what is there and he isnt confused, to then change it to confusion later in the game.
If Sanchez appears to play well for 3 quarters (the old 'even Kyle Boller and AJ Feely look good against our D trickery) then falls apart in the 4th, I hope everyone recognizes the genius they witnessed.

Andy, without getting mad, I agree the 4-3 puts more talented big men on the field. However, even though it thankfully calls for less linebackers, does using Woods and Thomas as OLBs together accomplish anything? Ironically, the one guy that seems a decent choice for OLB in 4-3 is anchored to the middle linebacker slot.

I'll admit I'm disappointed that once again one LB injury leaves us scrambling, which is why I haven't posted much on LBs post Mayo. Without being an X and O guy, I think BB will try to get our fairly talented safeties, including Meriweather, backups and DBs in general into the running game and short passing game.

1. The problem with this is that the strength of the Jets is their running game. Why would we design a defense to meet their weakness. If we're in nickel, they'll hardly ever pass, because they won't need to. They've got a first-rate offensive line, a screaming fast back, and two solid backs. Therefore, we'll be in 3-4 to combat the run. It's a very different defense from Ryan's. The pass defense will challenge Sanchez much more with 3-man rushes and disguised coverages, mixed with infrequent opportune blitzes, than with constant pressure like in Ryan's 3-4..

See here, this is why I said a 4-2-5 with a cover 3, because we give them a pass defense look, but in reality its a run defense, because with a cover 3 you still have 2 DB who can motion down at the snap to key on the run. Jets see a pass D and go "good for them but we plan to run the ball to get Sanchez settled." Then they see the motion down once too many and then start to go pass, but then we fake motion down and drop back, and that way we get into their heads.

Last edited:
Andy, without getting mad, I agree the 4-3 puts more talented big men on the field. However, even though it thankfully calls for less linebackers, does using Woods and Thomas as OLBs together accomplish anything? Ironically, the one guy that seems a decent choice for OLB in 4-3 is anchored to the middle linebacker slot.

I'll admit I'm disappointed that once again one LB injury leaves us scrambling, which is why I haven't posted much on LBs post Mayo. Without being an X and O guy, I think BB will try to get our fairly talented safeties, including Meriweather, backups and DBs in general into the running game and short passing game.

I dont know why you think Thomas and Woods dont belong. They have essentially the same duties in the 43 run D and in the 43. The only difference is they wont rush much.
Our 43 is still a 2gap D, so the OLBs are playing the same run defense.

I dont know why you think Thomas and Woods dont belong. They have essentially the same duties in the 43 run D and in the 43. The only difference is they wont rush much.
Our 43 is still a 2gap D, so the OLBs are playing the same run defense.

If you say we have enough speed between Woods and Thomas to play a 4-3, I'm not going to argue with you.

I really don't think the depth at ILB affect whether we play 3-4 or 4-3. Why? Because in either defense, you need 2 LBs playing off the LOS and we only have 2 guys right now (AD and Guyton) who have any experience with that. The bigger question is what you want to do schematically, as well as whether you want two OLBs out there (Woods and TBC), or whether you want an extra DL (Burgess or Wright).

My personal feeling is that playing a 3-4 will be better against the Jets because it'll be more effective in setting the edge in the run D, and it'll also give BB more flexibility in mixing coverages against a rookie QB - he can rush 3 if necessary, or he can rush 4 with either of the LBs dropping, etc.

I really don't think the depth at ILB affect whether we play 3-4 or 4-3. Why? Because in either defense, you need 2 LBs playing off the LOS and we only have 2 guys right now (AD and Guyton) who have any experience with that. The bigger question is what you want to do schematically, as well as whether you want two OLBs out there (Woods and TBC), or whether you want an extra DL (Burgess or Wright).

My personal feeling is that playing a 3-4 will be better against the Jets because it'll be more effective in setting the edge in the run D, and it'll also give BB more flexibility in mixing coverages against a rookie QB - he can rush 3 if necessary, or he can rush 4 with either of the LBs dropping, etc.

I agree with your original point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey