PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Defenses flopping, faking an injury to slow down offense (merged 8x)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: OT:Flopping in Football, is there a fix?

It's a shame to start seeing this in the sport as it is a constant occurrence in English football over here. The slightest knock and a player will go down screaming and start to roll around on the floor. Makes me sick to watch.

Re: No huddle offense...defensive flopping

Yeah what a ***** move..why i can't stand soccer..all those guys are floppers and ****ys

Faking Injuries to slow an offense - League taking notes?

We all know this has happened to the Pats in last years playoff game, and even possibly on Sunday (Garay on the first drive).

I'm surprised the NFL didnt do anything about this in the off season. Looks like it becoming a bigger problem and people are starting to notice it more often.

Mike Mayock is on NFLNetwork right now and is furious about it. Plus theres a lot of articles being written on it right now.

Allegations of Giants faking injuries demeans NFL - NFL - Sporting News

Ref was powerless on Giants’ fake injuries, but NFL is not | ProFootballTalk

NFL.com Blogs » Blog Archive Did the Giants fake injuries in win over Rams? «

Funny how this got ZERO mention last year when the Jets did it in the playoffs.

Last edited:
Re: Faking Injuries to slow an offense - League taking notes?

Given that Manning is MIA there is zero chance that the Polian dominated NFL Competition Committee will do anything about it. They have on occasion changed things a bit mid season in previous years.

They changed things last year regarding violent hits.

Heres another article

NFL Facing Budding Epidemic of Players Faking Injuries, Needs Roger Goodell to Lay Down the Law - NFL - NESN.com

The issues arose when no-huddle offenses befuddled defenses, and those defensive players who were getting worked had no option other than lying in a heap on the artificial turf. The grass wasn't the only thing that was fake, as the players writhed in pain for a minute or two, found their way to the sidelines and then re-entered the game a play or two later.

It was pathetic, and it's a growing problem.

You saw it Sunday afternoon in New England, and it was so blatant that Tom Brady actually stood over the "injured" Chargers players who were rather obviously doing all they could to slow down the offensive assault that was being handed to them.

Cheaters, of course, never win, so the fake injuries didn't prevent Brady from throwing for 423 yards and three touchdowns.

The rule in a no-huddle situation, in case you aren't aware, is that defenses cannot substitute players if the offense doesn't substitute players. So if the offense has some blatant mismatches, it won't need to make any substitutions, and the defense is left helpless. Its only options are to burn a valuable timeout or, well, start to "cramp up."

While it was bad in the Chargers-Patriots game, it was disgusting in the Giants-Rams game on national television Monday night. Just. Watch.

There are things that can be done.

Make it so that injured players can't return until the next drive... or next quarter.

It's a shame it has to come to this. It could hurt the game too. Remember Mathew Staffords heroic comeback with a legitimately separated shoulder last year? We would be deprived of such moments if rules were in places to prevent injured players from returning to games.

Teams could also send out their LEAST valuable player to fake an injury. That alone would make such a rule useless.

We all know this has happened to the Pats in last years playoff game, and even possibly on Sunday (Garay on the first drive).

I'm surprised the NFL didnt do anything about this in the off season. Looks like it becoming a bigger problem and people are starting to notice it more often.

Mike Mayock is on NFLNetwork right now and is furious about it. Plus theres a lot of articles being written on it right now.

Allegations of Giants faking injuries demeans NFL - NFL - Sporting News

Ref was powerless on Giants’ fake injuries, but NFL is not | ProFootballTalk

NFL.com Blogs » Blog Archive Did the Giants fake injuries in win over Rams? «

Funny how this got ZERO mention last year when the Jets did it in the playoffs.

I am shocked, SHOCKED! I tell you, to learn that the Rats cheated like this in the playoff game with the Pats last year.

To think that a team that makes a big deal about cheating, and is so adamant about winning a Superbowl without cheating, would do this just destroys my faith in Ratkind.

I.....I.....I need a moment please.....

........excuse me while I compose myself.

:(

Last edited:

Waiting for Joker to rip the Jets. They did it a bunch of times. Heck, even Phil Simms noticed it and said they were faking.
I remember one of the faking incident. I think it was near the Jets 10 and a Jets CB or a Safety went down and He acted like it was a seriously injury. Felt bad for him. He then showed up 2 snaps later.... Hallelujah!!! It's a miracle.

The problem with the "make them sit out a whole quarter" solution is that teams will simply plug in a crappy player, just so he can flop.

You don't want to make the refs judge whether or not a player is faking. Sometimes, the player is actually injured.

One potential solution would be to create "injury" timeouts, where each team gets a certain number per game. Maybe 3, or some reasonable number. Regardless of cause, you lose an injury timeout after every injury delay. Then, after you run out of those, and if you get another injury, you start losing regular timeouts.

The problem with the "make them sit out a whole quarter" solution is that teams will simply plug in a crappy player, just so he can flop.

You don't want to make the refs judge whether or not a player is faking. Sometimes, the player is actually injured.

One potential solution would be to create "injury" timeouts, where each team gets a certain number per game. Maybe 3, or some reasonable number. Regardless of cause, you lose an injury timeout after every injury delay. Then, after you run out of those, and if you get another injury, you start losing regular timeouts.
I had the exact same thought about some kind of injury timeout.

Put in a crappy player and you run the risk of being burned BIG TIME. I still have horrible memories of the 08 season when Deltha O'Neal was just abused by good QBs and WRs.

The rest of the possession is the answer. They need to fix this, the game has enough stupid distractions without turning it into soccer.

Against Miami, Marshall was limping off the field and you can see Sunglasses at Night Fist Pump and another coach motioning him to get down and he went down like he was shot. That wasn't as bad as what the Giants did with two flopping at the same time.

You do realize he has to wear sunglasses at night bc of his light sensitivity, right?

You do realize he has to wear sunglasses at night bc of his light sensitivity, right?

Yep. He has a disorder. He has to wear them in his office too. Sucks.

Yep, and I still choose to make fun of him. Or are people with light sensitivity among the ever growing list of protected victim groups.

According to Schefter (spelling?), St. Louis sent an official complaint to the NFL saying that the NYG faked inujuries. Not sure how they will go about presenting their case but it should be interesting to see the league's response.

Last edited:

Lots of over reactions, to a relatively minor issue.

Right now the rule is you are helped off the field you must sit out the next play.

Assuming flopping is really a big enough problem to warrant a rule change (Colt fans have been complaining about it for years) than the logical incremental next step is to change that from one play to two plays. Not one play to 20 plays or 10 mins or such nonsense. If after a year or two the problem persists raise it to three plays.

According to Schefter (spelling?), St. Louis sent an official complaint to the NFL saying that the NYG faked inujuries. Not sure how they will go about presenting their case but it should be interesting to see the league's response.

Ouch. That's like Josh McD filing chargers against us. My bet is that isn't not the doing of Spag. It has to be their 'overbearing' owner who demanded an explanation of the loss by Spag.

According to NFLN (LaCanfora, I think), unless a player or coach admits to the player faking an injury, there is nothing the league can do about it.

Lots of over reactions, to a relatively minor issue.

Right now the rule is you are helped off the field you must sit out the next play.

Assuming flopping is really a big enough problem to warrant a rule change (Colt fans have been complaining about it for years) than the logical incremental next step is to change that from one play to two plays. Not one play to 20 plays or 10 mins or such nonsense. If after a year or two the problem persists raise it to three plays.

It's not a minor issue, that is unless you enjoy injury timeouts every other play and players acting as foolish as soccer players.

According to NFLN (LaCanfora, I think), unless a player or coach admits to the player faking an injury, there is nothing the league can do about it.
Which in a way makes sense I guess and I don't see any player/coach letting that slip. Maybe a possible answer is indeed to change the rule to sitting out 3-4 plays or so. Not sure how I would approach it but that is one way that might help to deter it.

And yeah I think the way Schefter seemed to play it off was that they (STL) probably didn't expect anything to come from it, and did it more to make a point and bring the issue into the spotlight to get more scrutiny. But I only saw his little tidbit on it in passing.

Last edited:

It's not a minor issue, that is unless you enjoy injury timeouts every other play and players acting as foolish as soccer players.

Every other? There were a grand total of 137 plays in that game. I could not find stats on the total number of injury timeouts. I am pretty sure it was under 68.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes