PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Defense

Status
Not open for further replies.

cstjohn17

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Tough loss but still a lot of important work left.

Overall the defense has been better than I expected, very good front seven play and pretty good in the secondary. Against Denver I was hoping for a bigger statement, they had risen to near the top in PPG against and in front of the whole country they could have put the league on notice. Instead they choked away a 14 point lead giving up multiple big plays.

The offense was putrid but with all the weapons missing it was a chance for the defense to rise up and take some of the load.

It would have been nice for the D to close things out.

The anemic Offense a ST's muff and the Refs:mad: wasted a Great effort by our Defense Sunday Night.

Run D played good until Hightower went out. Then they ran the ball all over us. Pass defense played great until Gronks injury. Seemed like it sent the whole team into a tailspin once that happened. I remember for a little bit being so concerned about his injury that I didn't even care about the outcome of the game.

The anemic Offense a ST's muff and the Refs:mad: wasted a Great effort by our Defense Sunday Night.
Broncos were ranked 27th in the league in rushing going in and we allowed 32 rushes for 179 yards (5.6 ypc) with 3 TDs, including a 48 yarder to win it. Some good, plenty not so good. Worst game of the year from our safeties and big plays abound with Hightower out. Not what I would call a great effort.

Lack of Hightower, Collins, and even Coleman was bound to catch up to the defense at some point. Luckily, all should be back by the playoffs, starting with Collins who is likely to return this week or next week.

The defense will be very good again once it gets healthy.

Lack of Hightower, Collins, and even Coleman was bound to catch up to the defense at some point. Luckily, all should be back by the playoffs, starting with Collins who is likely to return this week or next week.

The defense will be very good again once it gets healthy.
It wasn't injuries so much as 4 quarters played at over a mile above sea level. The D gave up 17 points in the 4th quarter.

Broncos were ranked 27th in the league in rushing going in and we allowed 32 rushes for 179 yards (5.6 ypc) with 3 TDs, including a 48 yarder to win it. Some good, plenty not so good. Worst game of the year from our safeties and big plays abound with Hightower out. Not what I would call a great effort.

Their last 2 TD drivers were complete ******** that don't happen if the refs called it both ways.

Clear hold on Easley on that 40 yard pass to Thomas. It should have been 1st and 20 from the 7. Not 1st and 10 from the NE 47.

The 48 yard TD was aided by a blatant hold by Vernon Davis on McCourty.

Another one of their TD runs had another blatant hold.

Their TD pass had a blatant illegal hands to the face. Which was right after Branch came up with a huge sack but it was negated because of a bogus holding call against Chung.

Hell of an effort by that D Sunday with Collins out all game and Hightower missing all of the 2nd half that was for nothing because the refs were only calling it one way in the 2nd half.

Were the safeties out of position or gassed? Or was it bad playcalling? It seemed like they couldn't get to the RB on two TDs.

It wasn't injuries so much as 4 quarters played at over a mile above sea level. The D gave up 17 points in the 4th quarter.

That had nothing to do with it. It was definitely injuries. With Hightower out, they were able to establish the run which opened up the play action passes and bootlegs. With Collins present, maybe Hightower's loss would not have been quite as noticeable. But with both of them out, we didn't have the guys to stop their run game. Just look at the stats with Hightower in and then with him out.

Not to mention that despite the shift in momentum in the 4th, we were still leading and moving the ball on the drive where Gronk went down. We could very well have gotten at least a FG and taken more time off the clock. But after he went down, we had no one left.

Didn't Hightower go out in the first half? The Broncos scored 7 in the first half, 17 in the 4th quarter and another TD in overtime.

Some other forum member mentioned this but who knows what the defense was feeling after the Gronk injury?

All the calls against us and then Gronk appears done for the season. They knew their SB hopes may have been gone. I give them a pass for the TD drive, especially because of the BS Chung play. They were mentally exhausted at that point.

Were the safeties out of position or gassed? Or was it bad playcalling? It seemed like they couldn't get to the RB on two TDs.

On the game winning TD, McCourty was RIGHT THERE to make the play, but Vernon Davis was grabbing McCourty's jersey and pulling him backward.

Right in front of the officials.

Who, of course, didn't throw a flag.

On the game winning TD, McCourty was RIGHT THERE to make the play, but Vernon Davis was grabbing McCourty's jersey and pulling him backward.

How could they throw a flag for that? It might interfere with their fist bump.

The sooner we get Collins and Hightower back, the better.
the problem with the run defense is that Freeny and Mayo aren’t that good. Both just lack any pop to make an impact and all of the significant runs the Broncos put together in the first half were often because Freeny was late to fill, went to the wrong hole or simply wasn’t strong enough to physically close a hole. So you put Collins back in there (with Hightower at some point) and they’ll be okay. But if I was attacking this Patriots defense I’d run right at Freeny. Mayo has been better in recent weeks but still lacks that pop he had before the injury. His missed tackle at the end of the first half on the touchdown run was a prime example.
Pats Propaganda, Patriots vs. Broncos All-22 Review: Defense...

That's the only reason Denver had any success in the run game.

Not to mention they got 70 yards and 2 rushing TDs on blatant holds on McCourty and Ninkovich.

And I would say outside of the 2 Anderson TDs the run defense was still decent with Hightower and Collins out that 50 yard gw run skews it

Tough loss but still a lot of important work left.

Overall the defense has been better than I expected, very good front seven play and pretty good in the secondary. Against Denver I was hoping for a bigger statement, they had risen to near the top in PPG against and in front of the whole country they could have put the league on notice. Instead they choked away a 14 point lead giving up multiple big plays.

The offense was putrid but with all the weapons missing it was a chance for the defense to rise up and take some of the load.

It would have been nice for the D to close things out.

I agree, but it was rough missing their 2 biggest playmakers right in the teeth of their defense in Hightower and Collins

I want to re-watch part of the game even more now and look for this.

That's why home field advantage is so important. Need to win out to control our own destiny on that front.

hard to win when you are playing against the refs as well.

The broncos took advantage of our best run defenders not being in the game(collins/hightower) Chandler jones is a good pass rusher but if you run towards his side you are going to get a decent amount of yards.

Overall this game's defensive failures are a combination of things, but the refs being one sided really made a huge difference.

No time outs left and Brock gets sacked, that right there could have meant the end of the game, lol nope phantom holding call on chung in the end zone, first and goal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back