PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Defense too slow?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TomBradyWoot

On the Game Day Roster
Reaction score
Its looked too me so far this season that the Patriots defense has been awfully slow. Giving up big plays to the Jets and Broncos in back to back weeks and watching Tatum Bell run and run and run all over us. If this continues I think we're looking at an overhaul like after the 2002 season.

The defense isn't the problem- it's the offense.

PaulNEPats said:
The defense isn't the problem- it's the offense.

I agree. The defence was making stops all night, even if a couple firsts were allowed. The offence simply couldn't drive.

CheerforTom said:
I agree. The defence was making stops all night, even if a couple firsts were allowed. The offence simply couldn't drive.

What game did you watch? 30+ yd on 3rd and short? 83yd TD on 3rd and long? Plus two long TD catches last week. The offense sucked and was mostly to blmae for this loss but the defense has got real issues.

The long plays are just killers. It seems when we try to blitz we get burnt b/c our secondary isn't good enough yet. Of course, if Wilsons on the field instead of Sanders, I doubt that Walker play turns into an 80+ yd TD.

Brady'sButtBoy said:
What game did you watch? 30+ yd on 3rd and short? 83yd TD on 3rd and long? Plus two long TD catches last week. The offense sucked and was mostly to blmae for this loss but the defense has got real issues.

Well when you go 3 and out like the Pats did most of the night, a tired defense is eventually going to give up the big play. The Defense isn't the big issue with this team.

PaulNEPats said:
Well when you go 3 and out like the Pats did most of the night, a tired defense is eventually going to give up the big play. The Defense isn't the big issue with this team.

Nobody is saying it's the big issue. Just saying it's a tad slow and have been giving up too many big plays. Just because the offense sucked doesn't mean the defense can't too.

PaulNEPats said:

Exactly. Couldn't say it better myself.

Big plays result from bad tackling, which result from an exhausted D, which results from a D that's always on the damn field.

On a side note, the 30 yd+ on 3rd and short was a fantastic play call and pass by Plummie. I don't see Bailey or Law or anybody stopping that one.

I agree with both sides on this topic, the offense is not getting the job done and is causing the defense to spend to much time on the field. But with that being said, it is apparent that the Patriots Defense lacks speed and I am talk'in about Dwight Freeney speed, and fast linebackers. We where a step behind especially on the rollouts and the sideline running plays it killed us all game.

I know that we will have a good season, but hopefully we will address the Linebackers and CB positions and add some playmakers. We need another Ty law, Champ Bailey or big fast DE/OLB to harass the QB’s. Seymore is great but maybe adding just two skilled players on "D" will free up the front pass rushers.

But in all it is one lost and I still think that this will be a 11-5 or 12-4 team. Denver has our number, but I remember when the St.Louis came into our home stadium and we lost the game (battle) but won the war (SB).

We have allot to sure up but so do most other teams, we will get better on Offense and Defense, but if we want more Super Bowls we need skilled positions (WR, CB, DE/OLB) in this upcoming Draft and FA next year. I just think that Colts, Denver, and Cincy could give us allot of problems. Maybe this is a re-building year, we can't win every SB and the FO has decide that we can win our division and see how far the current talent can take us.

One Question though will or CB’s ever turn around when the ball is being thrown in their direction, that is probably the most frustrating thing in watching the Pats play?

all said and done, our defense's of the past always won the turnover battle...this season, one we have is then last play int by pennington...

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes