Welcome to PatsFans.com

Defense Spending

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by scout, Apr 21, 2011.

1. scout

scout Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +51 / 0 / -2

#15 Jersey

2. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +778 / 17 / -23

#24 Jersey

Re: D

Defense cuts have to be made. And so do Medicare cuts. And Social Security. They combine for almost 2/3 of our spending and the latter two will skyrocket with baby boomers retiring. None of them can be spared.

3. Patsfanin Philly

Patsfanin Philly Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +221 / 0 / -0

#95 Jersey

True, but until we all are ready to have an 'adult' mature discussion with EVERYTHING on the table, we will never solve the problem. Suppose you increase taxes, on the rich and even the middle class. Unless you address the spending part of the equation, you haven't solved the problem. Social Security/Medicare used to be the 'third rail' of politics and when we accept that the present course is unsustainable, we are headed for a very rocky future.

4. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +816 / 27 / -33

A good start would be primarily be more vigilant with cost overruns and fraud, find it incomprehensible that fraud could be associated with something that is so precious to the american psyche. Perhaps if you are caught defrauding, you can no longer contract with the US government..

Then start closing some of the 700 bases around the world..

287 Installations in Germany, if they want us to stay they shoul pay for the service
    21 in Portugal... make them pay for our service
    106 In South Korea
    11 In Iceland
    57 In Britain
    130 In Japan

In the US there are over 4100 military Installations on the continental US, 166in Alaska, 84 in Hawaii... close a lot of these.

We need to stop being so f..ing nice, and get these folks to pay up.

Imagine the logistics in keeping all of these bases supplied, as well as the costs incurred for the military and their families???..

5. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +778 / 17 / -23

#24 Jersey

I'm not sure it will be solved in my lifetime. And I'm 44. The more videos I see of old people saying "Don't Touch My Medicare" the more I start to realize how politically infeasible it is. You could end the DoD in it's entirety and still not balance the budget. Not to defend the DoD, it need cuts, but our problems go way beyond that. There's not much to say, our parents are bankrupting us and are seemingly happy about it. My Dad gets his SS check and decides at the end of the year where to put the IRA money that he has to take out. Medicare and social security have to be means tested, they have to be cut back to "have to have" not "nice to have" things and we have to find a way to reduce the cost per unit of healthcare. Short of that, we're done. Cut defense in half if you like, it won't fix the problem - although it would make a dent.

6. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +778 / 17 / -23

#24 Jersey

Get rid of all that. And get out of Iraq, Afghanistan, Libya - it was a nice idea, it didn't work. Get out, keep buying their oil, let them fight it out.

Then move on to the "entitlements".

7. reflexblue

reflexblue PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +458 / 10 / -7

#91 Jersey

Defense spending should be cut by a Third. We spend more on defense (700+)Billion than the rest of the world combined. We could build fortress America for Much less than projecting power, and going after bad guys half way around the world. I have read in the past that increasing security here in airports, harbors, tunnels, cities etc. could be done for a fraction of what it costs to fight these wars, and would be more effective. Just think of what we could do with 2-3 hundred Billion a year here at home.

8. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +778 / 17 / -23

#24 Jersey

Sorry but that shows you don't get it.

We need to save, say, $200B and NOT spend it. That's how cutting spending and balancing the budget works.

9. reflexblue

Ratings:
    +458 / 10 / -7

#91 Jersey

What i was thinking was paying down the deficite with the money. Also i can see how it might affect you, you might not have a job.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2011
  10. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +778 / 17 / -23

#24 Jersey

I'm in favor of cutting everything, where I work is irrelevant.

11. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +899 / 7 / -3

If we're serious, and we need to be cuz we truly do face an inevitible insolvency, then we need to do the following over the next 5 years and beyond.

* Slash military spending by 25%

* Slash entitlements by 25%

* Drill & use our own energy resources ASAP. Keep our cash here at home.

* Develop a long term energy policy with investment in the eventual replacement for oil. We will need one soon enough.

* Evict all illegal alien free loaders. Sorry, but you have to go.

* Rescind, rework, revamp all free trade agreements. We can trade, but we can't give you our jobs for free.

* Restructure the tax code so as to eliminate alot of the loopholes, as well as some of the deductions currently granted. I'd reduce the corporate rate to 20%, increase Cap Gains to 20% for all sales under $100k and 25% to everything thereafter, have a minimum tax on all earnings (everyone must pay something into the system). Tax shelters and the various deductions would be re-examined and kept to an absolute minimum. Also, no individual would get more money back in their return than they paid in actual taxes. Everyone must be involved in the cost of government in some capacity. I used to think differently on this but not anymore. We can't have a system where 45% of income earners pay no taxes, or where the vast amount of deductions, loopholes, and shelters allow people to halve their rates.

12. Stokes

Stokes In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

1. Maybe we should change it to "radical religious groups" rather than "muslim culture" as terrorism isn't a part of mainstream islam, but is a part of radical islam as well as radical christianity.

2. After making that distinction, let's not equate military spending in defense of the state, a necessity outlined in our constitution, with terrorism. It is not a relevant comparison.

3. Technically speaking, the Iraq war was not a preemptive strike without provocation, it was in response to non-compliance with the terms that ended the first gulf war, and was backed up by a UN resolution and a congressional vote authorizing the action. We can look back and argue over whether or not it should have been done, but it certainly wasn't some preemptive strike without cause.

4. The Iraq example aside, isn't the whole point of our military to be able to strike where we feel our national security is at risk? That seems like the best use of military might, and is more easily defensible than some other actions that are more popular publicly such as intervention in Libya, Somalia, or other places that don't necessarily involve our national security directly.

13. reflexblue

Ratings:
    +458 / 10 / -7

#91 Jersey

I commend you Sir, your a true patriot.

14. scout

Ratings:
    +51 / 0 / -2

#15 Jersey

I don't have a problem with any of the response except the preemptive strike. Technically speaking, we could have dropped bombs and devastated many countries infrastructures over the U.S.'s history for non-compliance issues. I stay informed of our news and to this day am not clear as to why we entered into war with Iraq. I've also posed that question on this board a number of times and have not received a definitive answer. Thus, if you would like to state in finite terms as to why we entered war with Iraq, go for it.

15. Gainzo

Gainzo In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +103 / 2 / -3

#11 Jersey

How many troops do we have in Japan, Korea and Germany?

16. PatsFanInEaglesLand

PatsFanInEaglesLand In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +153 / 10 / -16

#37 Jersey

17. Gainzo

Gainzo In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +103 / 2 / -3

#11 Jersey

Wow, over 100,000 troops in Countries that don't need us. The reason I asked is because a friend of mine from High School went into the Army and has been stationed in all those places.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2011
  18. scout

Ratings:
    +51 / 0 / -2

#15 Jersey

19. Stokes

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Haha we're not opening THAT can of worms again!

No seriously though I wasn't making an argument that we should have entered war with Iraq, just saying that it was different from a preemptive strike in that there was a long history of building tension over their non-compliance with weapons inspections/reporting. That alone as a rationale for entering into war is questionable at best I would agree, I'm just saying there was a more concrete reason on record than just a nebulous threat to national security.

Back to the original topic I would agree that defense spending needs to be looked at as an area to cut. Most of the proposed cuts I have read about from the Obama admin seem sensible enough to me for instance. Its not going to be unchecked growth of defense spending that bankrupts us though, it will be our unfunded entitlements.

As to the more recent posts about number of troops in Germany S Korea and Japan, isn't the idea to have forces ready for quicker movement to where they might be needed, for example to stop North Korean aggression, or to move from bases in Europe to the ME or other hotspots? These places serve as protection from foes in the region or staging areas for potential operations, right? Now, seems like the sheer number of bases we man is high, although maybe that's what has been determined to be necessary to support allies and protect our security.

20. Stokes

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

I agree with the principle of everything you posted except maybe raising the cap gains rate. Even Obama has admitted raising the rate will NOT increase revenue, he wants to do it because he thinks its more "fair."

I definitely like the trade-off of saying let's keep current rates or drop them slightly but balance that by cutting out the loopholes to ensure everyone is paying their due.