PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Defense fails again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its amazing how posters are using injuries, calls and excuses to justify a loss. I thought we hated rival fans who did that?

We sound just like Colts fans.

Makes sense since Colts fans are the ones always obsessing over offensive stats, and blaming penalties or execution or individual players for losses.

The team lost Thomas and Warren on Sunday, and had only 3 days to try to fix that. The defense forced 4 punts and a fumble in the second half, surrendering only 7 points, despite this. The team overcame fumbles, lousy officiating, sloppy first half play and a special teams score to come back from 18 down and take the game to overtime. All that, and you clowns are griping about the defense....

Ian needs to start pruning the idiot bush, because the site is just growing far too many of them right now.

Last edited:
Dude, get a grip. It's just my opinion. The Pats had the Jets right where they wanted them with a 3rd and 15, inside the 15 yard line and the momentum in their favor only to allow a damn TE to streak down the middle of the field giving up the first down. After how hard they fought to get back in the game, how could you not be dissapointed?

Of course I'm disappointed, I just think expecting a defense as injury riddled as this one to automatically make a stop in OT against Brett Favre and some pretty damn good offensive talent is asking way too much. It also pisses me off because every week people on here ***** about the last play, as if ONE PLAY defines an entire unit, and they completely ignore everything that happened the entire game.

Just because it happened in OT, doesn't make not stopping a good offensive team on 3rd and 15 anywhere near as big a gaffe as Watson's fumble or Koppen's poor snap or the turnover on downs, or the absolutely terrible special teams play, or even the refs jobbing Vrabel. The Pats shouldn't have been in that position, and the offense and special team is to blame.

Last edited:
Its amazing how posters are using injuries, calls and excuses to justify a loss. I thought we hated rival fans who did that?

Considering that you are a Jets fan, please don't speak for Patriots fans.

I don't blame rivals if they lose because of a bad call. Hell 99% of the time,I agree with them that it was a bad call.

the team lost thomas and warren on sunday, and had only 3 days to try to fix that. The defense forced 4 punts and a fumble in the second half, surrendering only 7 points, despite this. The team overcame fumbles, lousy officiating, sloppy first half play and a special teams score to come back from 18 down and take the game to overtime. All that, and you clowns are griping about the defense....

Ian needs to start pruning the idiot bush, because the site is just growing far too many of them right now.

exactly.

The team lost Thomas and Warren on Sunday, and had only 3 days to try to fix that. The defense forced 4 punts and a fumble in the second half, surrendering only 7 points, despite this. The team overcame fumbles, lousy officiating, sloppy first half play and a special teams score to come back from 18 down and take the game to overtime. All that, and you clowns are griping about the defense....

Dude, it was a brand new ball game in overtime. Everything the defense did between those 4 quarters didn't matter now. This was their chance to redeem themselves and they failed.

Nobody is "justifying this loss." We are just pointing out that if you put it on the defense you are an idiot.

Considering that you are a Jets fan, please don't speak for Patriots fans.

I don't blame rivals if they lose because of a bad call. Hell 99% of the time,I agree with them that it was a bad call.

I'm not a jets fan....why would I ***** about the putrid failure of the d if I was a jets fan. You are a massive homer, so most people dont listen to you anyway :)

Of course I'm disappointed, I just think expecting a defense as injury riddled as this one to automatically make a stop in OT against Brett Favre and some pretty damn good offensive talent is asking way too much. It also pisses me off because every week people on here ***** about the last play, as if ONE PLAY defines an entire unit, and they completely ignore everything that happened the entire game.

Just because it happened in OT, doesn't make not stopping a good offensive team on 3rd and 15 anywhere near as big a gaffe as Watson's fumble or Koppen's poor snap or the turnover on downs, or the absolutely terrible special teams play, or even the refs jobbing Vrabel. The Pats shouldn't have been in that position, and the offense and special team is to blame.

Sure the Pats offense made mistakes but they were down 31-24 with a minute to play and the offense bailed them out with that spectacular catch from Moss. And in return, the defense allows the Jets to walk right down field and win the game. As I said in other posts, it was a brand new game in over time. The defense had a chance to redeem themselves but didn't.

Hmm.. Sorry, but the loss in San Diego was a lot worse than this one. Also, the Corners were playing the WRs very tightly. You must have missed that. The issue was blown coverages by Vrabel and Woods.

Homer's%20picture%20in%20the%20dictionary.gif

This is worse than SD. How can you even say that this isn't as bad? The division was on the line tonight. We weren't even close ever in the SD game.

I watched the possession twice, and they played too loosely in addition to blowing coverage. They were giving them 5-8 yards of cushion. The good plays we made were on runs and when our line punched through before Favre could set. Rewatch it and you will see that I am right.

Also, how can you talk such filth on World Kindness Day. There are things more important than football, and you don't even take 30 seconds to be kind to someone.

:banned:

Last edited:
You people blasting the defense are pathetic.

Who was out there covering the TE?

Pierre Woods, Gary Guyton, Brandon Merriweather, Jerod Mayo.

All of these kids are very talented. But if you don't realize that rookies and young guys are going to make crucial mistakes, maybe you should do yourself a favor and quit watching right now. Adalius Thomas wasn't out there.

3rd and 15! Failed in '06 title game, failed in superbowl and failed again. It makes me sick to see the defense fold when it matters most.

However, I will say Cassel is the man. I will eat crow on that.
Its time to rebuilt on defense cause no matter who is your qb you wont win in the NFL with a bad defense.

Dude, it was a brand new ball game in overtime. Everything the defense did between those 4 quarters didn't matter now. This was their chance to redeem themselves and they failed.

You're one of the ones that needs to get pruned. Have you ever tried using logic or reasoning in your entire life?

Its time to rebuilt on defense cause no matter who is your qb you wont win in the NFL with a bad defense.

If you think we have a "bad" defense you are utterly clueless.

You're one of the ones that needs to get pruned. Have you ever tried using logic or reasoning in your entire life?

The offense never had the ball in OT. I'd say the defense F'd up. Would you disagree?

I disagree with everyone saying our defense is bad. They played great in the third quarter. I put more of the blame on Rees than on our defensive roster.

Last edited:

Yes, rebuild it. Let's get rid of Warren, Wilfork, Seymour, Mayo, Guyton, Adalius, Woods, Wheatley, Hobbs, Merriweather, Sanders, Wilhite.

These guys are way too old.

The offense never had the ball in OT. I'd say the defense F'd up. Would you disagree?

I disagree with everyone saying our defense is bad. They played great in the third quarter. I put more of the blame on Rees than on our defensive roster.

Yes, but then I'm rational enough to realize the rules of overtime include something known as "sudden death" and something else known as a "coin flip".

You should look them up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing