PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Defense emotional; QB Montana-cool...is Brady really a linebacker?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The cliches were flying last night as usual with the "Brady really fired up his team" comments. Does anyone really think it is beneficial to have your QB hollering at the O line and backs in the middle of the game? Anyone remember seeing Montana, Favre, Manning or Brees doing this as often as Brady does in recent games. (Manning usually waits and throws his teammates under the bus post-game).

Not saying a QB shouldn't yell on occasion but to me the prototype QB will always be a cool-headed dude. And Tommy, when he has a horrible game like in Cleveland, is noticeably more subdued. How can you yell when you are just sucking out the game? I prefer an even keel from my million dollar leader. There was an AFC scout who did some anonymous commentary for one of the papers in the playoffs, and I recall his interesting remark that Brady's temper is a surprising weakness in the otherwise best set of QB skills in the league.

I think you totally misunderstood what was going on.
As I saw it he wasnt criticizing he was motivating, leading and rallying the team.

Brady was telling the Offense that if they didn't get their acts together out there, and stop with all these dropped passes, run the correct routes, and stay focus, that he was going to slap all of them up side there heads once they got into the locker room at half time.

Looks like that helped, because they were pretty focused after that.
I 100% disagree. I think it was encouragement, leadership and motivation.

The cliches were flying last night as usual with the "Brady really fired up his team" comments. Does anyone really think it is beneficial to have your QB hollering at the O line and backs in the middle of the game? Anyone remember seeing Montana, Favre, Manning or Brees doing this as often as Brady does in recent games. (Manning usually waits and throws his teammates under the bus post-game).

Not saying a QB shouldn't yell on occasion but to me the prototype QB will always be a cool-headed dude. And Tommy, when he has a horrible game like in Cleveland, is noticeably more subdued. How can you yell when you are just sucking out the game? I prefer an even keel from my million dollar leader. There was an AFC scout who did some anonymous commentary for one of the papers in the playoffs, and I recall his interesting remark that Brady's temper is a surprising weakness in the otherwise best set of QB skills in the league.

What you need to realize is that in the locker room Brady is the leader who everyone looks to. When Brady starts yelling and is fired up everyone follows his lead. Teams feed off of leaders and Tom Brady is one of the best leaders in the history of the nfl. Thinking that Brady yelling is a bad thing is a horrible misinterpretation. In actuality, it is one of the many intangibles that make him great. Do you think it’s a coincidence he spiked the ball when he ran in the sneak. The Steelers were pushing the Patriots and talking trash after the play; Brady acted as a leader and backed up his teammates by spiking the ball.

I'm all for leaders leading anyway they can. If they need to yell at players, so be it.

The greatest leader in this era, IMO, is Ray Lewis. That guy yells and inspires and makes plays. To me, that's what Brady did yesterday and it was inspiring.

I 100% disagree. I think it was encouragement, leadership and motivation.

Andy, my comment was meant to be a joke. Good grief you guys take things said around here too serious sometimes....:rolleyes:

I'm all for leaders leading anyway they can. If they need to yell at players, so be it.

The greatest leader in this era, IMO, is Ray Lewis. That guy yells and inspires and makes plays. To me, that's what Brady did yesterday and it was inspiring.

good comparison. Everytime they show Lewis he's over on the sidelines preaching to his comrads.

I agree completely with what many people have posted earlier.

The last few games I saw Brady shout a couple times, usually after a WR/TE messed up his route/dropped the ball/missed a block. I kinda felt like they were making the same mistakes and it wasn't having much of an effect on them.

Last night however I felt like he just had enough; told the team to cut the crap; got really stuck into them and I really feel like that's what was needed. As a fan, seeing Brady that fired up gave me shivers in a good way and gave me confidence that we were going win, imagine what it must have done to everyone around him.

Obviously he can't do that all the time but hopefully this is a turning point as the offense played as well as I've seen for a while.

Last edited:
I was hoping there are some accomplished lip readers amongst our Patsfans members.

I thought he was trying to keep the energy up. Big possibility of a letdown after a great, emotional start. He wasn't allowing that one bit.

I don't think a temper itself is a sign of weakness. In fact, a temper displayed at selected moments is part of the toolkit of many successful leaders.

A display of temper when results are sub-par reminds people that the person in charge has high standards and expects those around him/her to live up to those standards.

A good leader knows how to lose his temper without losing his cool; knows how to call someone out without abusing him. Most importantly, a good leader knows that s/he can only do so occasionally and only with just cause.

I think that Brady's displays of temper last night and the few other times I've seen him get truly animated during a game fall well within the definition of how a "good leader" behaves.

If you don't think Montana ever yelled at his team, you are sadly mistaken and if you think that there was anything wrong with what Brady did than I can't imagine you've played sports on any level. There is something seriously wrong with a portion of this fan base that can't just appreciate that we have one of the best QB's of all time on this team. One week he doesn't care enough the next he cares too much, which is it?

Re: relax boys...

Some intelligent comments from some of the guys here. Kind of funny that some of you get a bit hysterical about me raising a simple question about a trait cited by a professional NFL scout as a possible weakness. Do you kiss the photos of Tommy on your wall too before you go to bed ? I love the guy, best 9 years of football, but I hope he doesn't devolve into Brett Favre meglomania as he enters the prime of his career.

Last edited:
Every now and then a thread pops up where you completely disagree with someone and wish you could disown them from your fan base. This is one of those threads.

Some intelligent comments from some of the guys here. Kind of funny that some of you get a bit hysterical about me raising a simple question about a trait cited by a professional NFL scout as a possible weakness. Do you kiss the photos of Tommy on your wall too before you go to bed ? I love the guy, best 9 years of football, but I hope he doesn't devolve into Brett Favre meglomania as he enters the prime of his career.

Brett Favre megalomania? Are you on crack? So Brady being pissed off on the sidelines equals making a public drama out of injurie woes and retirement thoughts through the press? ************, man...

And get out of here with this "professional scout" bull****. It's one dude who said it, and you can't even name the guy. I guess we shouldn't be too worried about Manning this coming week either, since Jaworski said father time is catching up to him and his skills are quickly eroding. You are entitled to your opinions, but please don't get all defensive and make up crap you don't even believe in only because people disagree with you.

Last edited:

Don't forget, most pro NFL scouts cited almost everything about Brady to be a weakness once upon a time.

He's the fastest QB to win 100 games. He owns a 14-4 play-off record with 3 Super Bowl wins. You don't do any of that by letting emotions get the best of you. There's a huge difference between being emotional and being controlled by your emotions.

The OP was silly, but the link to Brett Favre is absolutely ridiculous and makes no sense.

No different than when Charlie Weis was the offensive coordinator of the New England Patriots.

Andy, my comment was meant to be a joke. Good grief you guys take things said around here too serious sometimes....:rolleyes:
You cant really criticize people for not reading your mind

I wouldnt consider people pointing out the incorrectness of your opinion to be hysterical

I think I could have understood your first post. Everyone starts a thread they wish they didn't. But then you post this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes