PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Defense/Belichick struggling with new/young QB's

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: What is up with the Pats defense and backup QB's

Thats because fans expect young or backup QBs to go 4-32 with 3 Ints.
YOung and backup QBs can be effective. They can especially be effective TO AN EXTENT against a defense that is conservative like ours
However, if you look at the record, we lose to young or inexperienced QBs a lot less than anyone else does.
This is one of the differences between our D and an aggressive D, the kind people routinely clamor for.
An aggressive D will kill terrible teams. We beat them whether we kill them or not.
An aggressive D will not do as well against good teams.
If you want to win by more points against bad teams, but win less ofen against good teams, then you should continue to complain about the statistics that teams we beat accumulate during their loss.

The bolded is a false statement. There have been plenty of aggressive defenses that have won SBs. In fact, there are probably more aggressive defenses that have won SBs than conservative defenses. I can't even think of a conservative defense that have won a SB other than the Patriots and BB's Giants when he was the DC.

The bolded is a false statement. There have been plenty of aggressive defenses that have won SBs. In fact, there are probably more aggressive defenses that have won SBs than conservative defenses. I can't even think of a conservative defense that have won a SB other than the Patriots and BB's Giants when he was the DC.

Since 2000, St. Louis, Tampa Bay, Indianapolis.

Simply not true.
In fact you have it backwards, it is very rare for an aggressive D to win the SB.

Simply not true.
In fact you have it backwards, it is very rare for an aggressive D to win the SB.

Ok, name me another conservative defense that have won the SB.

I agree. I was thinking the same thing about them exploiting the short middle area of our defense.

There have been a few games this year where teams have had a lot of success in that part of the field against us.

Flynn was practically earning a living in that area, though. The only other game where I saw the same thing was against the Chargers when Rivers was hitting the zone all throughout the second half and nearly came back to win. This was after trying to get big time yardage at the sticks earlier in the game and getting denied. I guess he found out what Belichick was going to allow. Finally we switched to some man coverage and Rivers got confused which forced their final drive to stall.

Tampa and Indy both play Tampa 2 which calls for their front 7 to play one gap penetrating style defense.

Wouldn't you put the Giants in there too? They won their Super Bowl by primarily rushing only their front four and playing man to man in the secondary. That would give us, since 2000, St. Louis, New England, Tampa Bay, New England, New England, Indy, and New York.

Wouldn't you put the Giants in there too? They won their Super Bowl by primarily rushing only their front four and playing man to man in the secondary. That would give us, since 2000, St. Louis, New England, Tampa Bay, New England, New England, Indy, and New York.

Steve Spagnuolo has a reputation as a blitzer that, say, Tony Dungy doesn't. In the SB they may not have blitzed much, but they did Week 17, so I wouldn't call him conservative. In fact I believe his philosophy was developed under Jim Johnson.

Not necessarily. Most of the problems right now are injury related (they have two DLs on IR, plus they were down three more tonight).

i think we have a good DL as well. a pure pass rusher would be nice DE. Other than that we have a good rotation at NT/DT and we will have Ty Warren back as well next year. One more pass rush type DE should do it, then OLB

In the last 9 years, Colts, Bucs, Patriots, Patriots, Patriots were conservative
Steelers, Steelers, Saints were aggressive
Giants were neither overly aggressive or overly conservative.
All of the dynasty teams (Pats, 9ers, Steelers, Cowboys) were genrally conservative.

Tampa and Indy both play Tampa 2 which calls for their front 7 to play one gap penetrating style defense.
That doesnt make them aggressive. Cover 2 by its very nature is conservative.

But its also not just about who won SBs.
A highly aggressive defense turns a win over a bad team into an ugly massacre. But it also create big plays allowed against good teams, and a conservative approach does not. If you look you will generally find that to be the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back