PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Defending the Wildcat

Status
Not open for further replies.
The one thing I find interesting is we don't play them until week 9 - do they they'll try and save a wrinkle or two for us knowing that we're likely they're biggest rivals for the division, or do they get them all out there trying to win as many games as possible?

I'm looking forwards to seeing them running it though. Perversely.

The one thing I find interesting is we don't play them until week 9 - do they they'll try and save a wrinkle or two for us knowing that we're likely they're biggest rivals for the division, or do they get them all out there trying to win as many games as possible?

Yeah, it's a shame the Patriots don't have anyone who could run a Wildcat-like play on the roster, like this guy:
JulianEdelman.jpg

Me too, the more formations the better in my opinion, it makes the game really fun to watch when you get to see two contrasting styles of offense. I loved it when the Chiefs ran the Pistol last year.

I can't see how that could work with any other team though (ravens have excellent LBs). You'd normally don't want your 250lb LBs taking on 300lb OL when they are running straight at you.

I'm guessing the 4-3 would be the best bet. Take away the run, and force them to pass with whatever RB snaps the ball.

I would say the less Defensive Linemen the better because there are 3 bubbles or lanes to defend in a 4-3. In a 3-4 you have 5 guys at the LOS and only 2 bubbles or lanes to defend. The 3-4 is a better defense vs the run.

I think Miami was stupid to showcase the new wrinkles in the Wildcat in a preseason game. It gives opposing teams two weeks before the season even starts to design ways to stop it. The real reason the Wildcat worked so well last year especially against the Pats was the element of surprise. The Pats weren't prepared for it and they couldn't come up with a plan in game to stop it, but totally stiffled it in the second meeting.

There were no new wrinkles. Miami ran the same four plays vs. Carolina that are on film from last year.

From my experience of playing against single wing 3 years ago we found a 3-5 d worked better as there was a reduced pass threat we pulled a safety. Our D ends cut end man at LOS so there was a less chance for them to get lateral makes it harder for them to run outside and have blockers to help. this worked to great effect limiting the team to under 100 yards of offense. It will be interesting to see if there are any new ways we try to defend it or just sticking to roles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back