Defending the dynasty: Some Broncos know how Patriots feel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Box_O_Rocks

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
http://www.philly.com/mld/philly/news/breaking_news/13619886.htm

Denver's quest for a third straight Super Bowl title was over almost as soon as it began.
-----
"We weren't even close, for a number of reasons," coach Mike Shanahan said.
-----
"It's impossible," defensive lineman Trevor Pryce said. "I have one statement: I went to the Pro Bowl the year the Ravens won it. Ray Lewis was at the table, talking crazy about repeats and three-peats. I said, `OK, remember this. You've got an `X' on your back. We had it twice. It's hard to win it. You will not win it again.' And they didn't."
-----
This season, injuries almost did in the Patriots. Bruschi, Richard Seymour, Rodney Harrison. Corey Dillon, Matt Light, Kevin Faulk. All are key cogs who missed significant time. When the Pats came to Denver for a regular-season game on Oct. 16, they barely resembled playoff material, let alone a wannabe dynasty.

A weakened defense and a struggling offensive line that caused Tom Brady to take a beating were a big reason they fell behind 28-3. Their championship mentality is a big reason they rallied and nearly tied it, before falling 28-20.
-----
Over the final six games of the regular season, they allowed only 2.9 yards per run. Brady has thrown for a career-high 4,110 yards. They won six of seven before falling in the regular-season finale, a game in which coach Bill Belichick rested many of his starters.

Still, all those stats only speak to the bigger point - that the Patriots are champions, they know how to win, and they know how to do it with everyone else targeting them.

"It's why they are what they are," Shanahan said. "They've got a chance to do something pretty special."
-----
"Teams come at you harder when you get an `X' on your back. It's the nature of the game," Shanahan said. "Not too many teams have been able to do what New England has done. Now, they've got a chance to do something nobody's done. It's why they're very special."
Keep your focus on the Patriots' record Shanny, Bill will be thinking about your run game...

Box_O_Rocks said:
http://www.philly.com/mld/philly/news/breaking_news/13619886.htm

Keep your focus on the Patriots' record Shanny, Bill will be thinking about your run game...

You're right, and BB will think PRODUCTIVELY about that run game, and come up with some good strategies. Really, in the October game our run D wasn't THAT bad. Take back that 68-yarder (I know, you can't take anything back, but suppose we've fixed the problem that allowed that run to happen) and the Bronc's averaged like 3.9 per run.

I'm convinced the game will come down to whether our Front 7 can get through their vaunted O-line CONSISTENTLY to pressure Plummer. I don't care how many sacks we get --- hardly matters --- I care about making Plummer feel pressure so OFTEN that their coaches stop calling long pass plays!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes