PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Defending Maroney - kind of

Status
Not open for further replies.
16-0 and 18-1 doesn't buttress your argument.

What's unbelievable is you actually claiming it does.

I said the Pats haven't won anything with a pass-first offense.

Both of you bring up 16-0 (an AFC East title) and 18-1 (AFC Title, Superbowl loss).

This year so far they're 8-5. They still haven't won anything.

Have the Pats won anything as a pass-first team? They functioned better and won Super Bowls with a more balanced attack and a dink-and-dunk passing offense.

But you are going under the assumption that it is Maroney's fault that the Pats are a pass first team and with a better RB like MJD would change that significantly.

Both of you bring up 16-0 (an AFC East title) and 18-1 (AFC Title, Superbowl loss).

They won more regular season games than any team in history.

They were more balanced in 2002, 2005, 2006 and even 2008, as well. No Super Bowl titles were won in those years.

Last edited:
As usual, the Maroney detractors once again don't see the point. Why are you turning this into "well, back then we had more balance because we ran the ball more". Okay, and Maroney has shown everyone that with more carries, the more productive he can be. Look no further then the end of 2007 and 2007 playoffs. But that's not the point I'm making.

The point I'm making is that those type of fantasy runners that everyone wants for this team won't work in this team because this offensive line and this offensive gameplan is not run-based. It is pass-based. Jesus, it's like talking to a bunch of Bill Simmons. Those type of runners will not work and if they want them to work, they will have to change the line, schemes, and everything else to cater a running back when they have Brady, Moss, and Welker and they will not maximize the potential of that.

I'm surprised that people don't know this, but in Bill Belichick teams, they have only had 2 1,000 yard rushers. Antowain Smith and Corey Dillon. And both only ran for 1,000 yards because they were the only ones in the backfield at the time.

And like I said, if you want to change this offense, then again I say look no further then to the Chicago Bears who tried to do it and it murdered them.

Why would you use the words "won anything" when in fact you really mean "won the superbowl"? I'm fairly certain a division title and conference title classifies under "anything". Hell even a game in the regular season is "anything".

Secondly, your entire argument is flawed at best and trolling at worst.

You should check out Maroney in the playoffs in 07 too.

We still need to find a #1 RB in the draft imo. Maroney has been running harder as of late but he is still not that good. 1100 yds and 16 TD's is good but nearly all of Maroney's TD's this year have came at the goal line when he ran through wide open holes, something any RB can do. As for 1100 yds, again, you can't really say this because I doubt he could survive the entire season carrying a full load.

I really hope we spend a high pick on next years draft on a RB. Someone with some SPEED, preferably. Just once I'd like to see Maroney break free on a 50+ yd run downfield.

We still need to find a #1 RB in the draft imo. Maroney has been running harder as of late but he is still not that good. 1100 yds and 16 TD's is good but nearly all of Maroney's TD's this year have came at the goal line when he ran through wide open holes, something any RB can do. As for 1100 yds, again, you can't really say this because I doubt he could survive the entire season carrying a full load.

I really hope we spend a high pick on next years draft on a RB. Someone with some SPEED, preferably. Just once I'd like to see Maroney break free on a 50+ yd run downfield.

I think Bill looks for a future Rb in the middle rounds of this years draft. Fred Taylor is our #1 and he'll be back next year. Faulk will probably give it another year. Bill will go with 4 backs next year and the drafted back will replace Morris / BJGE ... no major changes there as we more need another reciever to join Moss, Welker & Edelman (who has no deep speed btw). Neither Stanback, Edelman or Aiken spreads the field.

Last edited:
I think Bill looks for a future Rb in the middle rounds of this years draft. Fred Taylor is our #1 and he'll be back next year. Faulk will probably give it another year. Bill will go with 4 backs next year and the drafted back will replace Morris / BJGE ... no major changes there as we more need another reciever to join Moss, Welker & Edelman (who has no deep speed btw). Neither Stanback, Edelman or Aiken spreads the field.

I'd reaaaaaaaaally like some youth at RB. We still have Tate for next year who supposedly has some speed for WR.

Last edited:

Maroney is the team's #1 running back.

Anyone who wouldn't be satisfied with 1100 rushing yards and 16 TDs, especially in a pass-first offense, would be crazy. The only more productive season in the BB era would be Corey Dillon's 2004 effort of 1635 yards (his career best) and 12 TDs. The only 1st round picks in the past decade who would have had markedly better stats than that are:

1. Adrian Peterson (#7 in 2007). 1760 yards and 10 TDs in 2008. 1200 yards and 14 TDs so far in 2009.
2. Chris Johnson (#23 in 2008) - 1626 yards and 12 TDs so far this year.
3. Stephen Jackson (#24 in 2004) - 1528 yards and 13 TDs in 2006, over 1000 yards rushing so far this year.
4. D'Angelo Williams (#28 in 2006) - 1515 yards rushing and 18 TDs in 2008, over 1000 yards rushing so far this year

Cadillac Williams (#5 in 2005) had 1 season over 1000 yards, 1178 with 6 TDs his rookie year. Cedric Benson (#4 in 2005) is on pace for 1310 yards and 7-8 TDs this season, but has never had a 1000 yard season before. Ronnie Brown (#2 in 2005) has never had more than 1008 yards rushing and 10 TDs. Joseph Addai (#30 in 2006) made the pro bowl with 1078 yards rushing and 12 TDs. Reggie Bush (#2 in 2006) has never had 1000 yard seasons.

I'd be thrilled with 1100 yards and 16 TDs from Maroney over a full 16 game season.

You left off a few RBs:
LaDainian Tomlinson (5th in 2001) too many great seasons to list
Larry Johnson (27th in 2003) 1,750 yards and 20 TDs in 2005, 1,789 and 17 in 2006
Jamal Lewis (5th in 2000) 2,066 yards and 14 TDs 2003
Shaun Alexander (19th in 2000) 1,880 yards and 27 TDs in 2005
Thomas Jones (7th in 2000) 1,312 yards and 13 TDs in 2008

How great was the 2000 draft for RBS

If you add in the non 1st rounds you have to add Michael Turner, Frank Gore, Clinton Portis, Brian Westbrook, Willie Parker and Mojo

just what we need. another maroney thread. haven't we had enough and aren't the lines drawn clearly enough?

some think he's a "bust" because he hasn't lived up to his hype and his first round status.

others, myself included, think he's a solid back and very valuable as part of a running twosome or threesome and that he has really shown a lot this season.

the two sides are pretty much dug in and the one isn't likely to convince the other.

live and let live, i say!

Last edited:
The only thing that this thread says to me is that there are a lot of people who cannot and will never admit that they were wrong about Maroney.

He's a good RB. When healthy, he has always been a good RB. How the Pats view him is pretty clear: he's their starting RB. Still a little murky as far as how he ranks relative to Fred Taylor, but the Pats have always run at least a two-back "main" rotation, with Faulk playing 3DRB, so either way he's getting his carries.

Remember, as recently as early in this very season, there was a contingent that was confident that BJGE had passed Maroney on the depth chart. The amount of negativity surrounding him has always been ridiculous and blown so far out of proportion that it's barely worth even talking about.

In short: the jury is definitely not still out on Maroney. He has shown what he is capable of. He is a known quantity, and I mean that in a good way because he's shown a lot more than a lot of you will ever give him credit for, since you seem to think that total yards is the best measure of a RB. He's been a starter-caliber Patriot since his second year with the team, but because MJD ended up being better some people will never be happy.

Last edited:
Maroney is the team's #1 running back.

Well now he is ... if Taylor hadn't been injured who knows?
Not sure it matters who is 1 or 2 or even 3 in this offense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes