Welcome to PatsFans.com

Deep Sea, Arctic May Hold World's Largest Fuel Supply, Experts Say

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by patsfan13, Mar 7, 2007.

1. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +162 / 7 / -13

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2007/03/070307-energy-methane.html

Since there are the equalivent of 4 trillions barrels of oil in the tar sands in Utah and Colorado alone that is a heck of a lot of energy sound like it may be 'renewable in the snese that is is produced in an ongoing process.
  2. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

How do you figure it's "renewable"? The quote says it's being created from local material that is a finite quantity. While it's being made now, there is only so much of it. The term "renewable" refers to geothermal, hydro, solar and wind source energy. While this may look promising, I agree, it is not renewable.
  3. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +162 / 7 / -13

The matrial that creates it is the result of organic processes, from what I can see from the article.
  4. Pujo

Pujo Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Coal, oil, and natural gas are all created by organic processes, too, but they're not renewable because the process takes so long. I don't see anything about this actually being renewable, though there being a lot of it might be the next best thing.
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2007
  5. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +162 / 7 / -13

I haven't looked to see how long the process takes.

The Russians think oil is created in an anaerobic process and not from dinosaurs. A guy did the math on the numer of dinosaurs required to create the amount of oil that exists (not to mention coal and other petrochemicals the numbers are astronomical). Still if numbers suggested here are staggering.
  6. Pujo

Pujo Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

The source of oil (nor whether the process was aerobic or anaerobic) isn't relevant to it being an organic compound (and hence coming from an organic process). An organic compound is a compound with carbon-hydrogen bonds (or sometimes carbon-fluorine or other similar bonds). Oil's a hydrocarbon, so is considered organic. It doesn't mean that its precursor had to have been organic (Friedrich Wohler was the first to create organic compounds from non-organic materials in the 1800's), but the result is most certainly organic.

By the way, I've never heard anyone say that oil came from dinosaurs. The biogenic theory says that oil came from plankton and algae (while plants produced coal). The abiogenic theory says oil comes from carbon deposits, but those were never thought to be renewable.
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2007
  7. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +162 / 7 / -13

Pujo, I misspoke I meant to refer to theories of non organic oil production, he is a link describing the theory and some references. Tjis is an area I find interesting but dion't really understand.

http://www.ias.ac.in/currsci/aug25/articles7.htm