PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Debunking the Brady only has X amount of years left so load up theory

Status
Not open for further replies.

signbabybrady

Pro Bowl Player
2021 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
I see people spew this all the time and the truth is this logic could just as easily apply in the inverse direction.

We have one of the greatest QBs ever if not the GOAT and these players dont come around that often.

I mean think about it this guy got us 30 minutes from the SB with Reche Caldwell he has got us there 5 times with various levels of talent surrounding him.

Bottom line is that with Brady at the helm we will be competing for the next 3-5 SBs whether we actually get there or not who knows.

Many would advocate going all in in the next five years in order to try and ensure we get one more. As if spending money is some magic pill for the SB anyway.

But realistically the closer and closer we get to the end of Brady's career the more and more we should be planning for post-Brady and IMO making sure we are in good cap shape to move on post-Brady is just as important as trying to get Brady the elusive fourth ring.

I dont know about you guys but I plan on watching football for long after Brady. Unless of course the rumors of two hand touch are true.

Last edited:
People are looking at things in the dichotomy of: win now versus win later. The Patriots don't think that way. It's never a good idea to make a stupid move, and there are few moves that are good short-term but bad long-term. Usually it's either a good move or bad move, regardless of whether you want to win now or in the future. Because of the length of contracts and the salary cap, teams can't really "build for the future" or "go all in" any more. We've seen teams try both, and they rarely work.

If the Pats employed the "Brady only has so much time left and they have to get him talent now" philosophy at any time over the last 5 years or so since people have been complaining about that, people would have been biatching two years later how Brady only has so much time and the Pats wasted X number of year of Brady to win it one year when he had X number of years left. People will never be happy unless the Pats win Super Bowls every year.

The fact is that he will be 35 years old next year.

It is also fact that he is in supreme physical condition and barring a major injury, should have 2 to hopefully 3 highly-productive years left.

I would like to see the Pats get a little stronger on the defensive side of the football and implement more of a running game and reduce the # of Brady dropbacks.

On the other hand, the 3 step drop does limit his number of "bad" hits.

In my opinion, they don't need to "load up" while Brady is here but simply change the dynamic of the team a little and try to everything they can so that he can stay on the field and be productive as long as possible.

Once Brady does retire/leave, they WILL need a strong defense and a running game so whomever the QB is that takes his place will have talent around him so that he doesn't have to try and win every game on his own. Only HoFers can do that on a regular basis :)

My .02$.

Last edited:
Patriots Mission Statement:

“We are building a big, strong, fast, smart, tough and disciplined football team that consistently competes for championships."

Not an org that operates based on "windows," etc. They won't lose their identity to go crazy to "win now," as opposed to other years, and so they won't suffer the type of seasons, say the Colts had this year. The franchise has been remarkably consistent in the BB era, never having the genuine downs that teams like the Colts, Chargers, Steelers (and just about every other team) have endured in that time.

Obviously as fans you ask the question: Would you endure, say, three losing seasons, if that was the cost of going all out (trading draft picks, signing big FAs) to take that (unguaranteed but stronger) chance at the title? I don't know; I kind of like the NE approach, feeling like you can get there every year, and if you have a shot, anything can happen.

Hope this makes sense.

Last edited:
I'm beginning to think BB plays it safe and by the numbers. Give yourself a chance to win but don't go overboard in trying to do so. The more times you go deep into the playoffs, the higher your chances are of winning a title. 'Superteams' do not win titles especially in the NFL, last year's Eagles are a perfect example. The safer, cheaper approach prolongs your window and allows you to still have a reasonable shot at a super bowl. If there's a Matt Cassel caliber replacement to Brady, which I'm confident we'll have at worst, this team will still be competing when Brady retires because of the emphasis on future and less blockbuster deals in the short term.

I believe this thinking plays into his 'trading down' strategy as well to some degree. Sure it has alot to do with who you want and where you want to select that guy, but it makes sense when you consider how much of a crapshoot the draft can be. Giving yourself more picks = higher chance of having a guy that pans out. So while the last few drafts we've had many that didn't work out, but if you can field 3-4 quality contributors from each draft like we have that is still above average.

I mean think about it this guy got us 30 minutes from the SB with Reche Caldwell he has got us there 5 times with various levels of talent surrounding him.

i am sure this helps Brady sleep @ nite, GOAT q/b, few years left to play and you are sending him on the field with this rhetoric? iam not saying plunge us into cap hell but we have failed to draft a good receiver for over 5 years, our rookie pro bowl corner played safety by the end of last season, but you actually bring up brady throwing to Reche Caldwell , a game where we went for it on 4th and 2 from our 20 as a sign of success?
sometimes Bill outsmarts himself. btw, there is no other qb/coach combo i'd rather have for some of the reasons you mentioned, but as BB says himself, there is always room to improve

trade for more second rounders! don't go all in

I don't care about loading up in a year or maximizing the brady window thats left. I just want balence. When I look at the SB teams the pats had, thats what I see.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes