Welcome to PatsFans.com

Deatils on NEA's Support of Leftist Orgs

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by PatsWickedPissah, Jan 3, 2006.

1. PatsWickedPissah

PatsWickedPissah PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +2,086 / 21 / -13

Disable Jersey

http://www.opinionjournal.com/editorial/feature.html?id=110007761

If we told you that an organization gave away more than $65 million last year to Jesse Jackson's Rainbow PUSH Coalition, the Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation, Amnesty International, AIDS Walk Washington and dozens of other such advocacy groups, you'd probably assume we were describing a liberal philanthropy. In fact, those expenditures have all turned up on the financial disclosure report of the National Education Association, the country's largest teachers union.

Under new federal rules pushed through by Secretary of Labor Elaine Chao, large unions must now disclose in much more detail how they spend members' dues money. Big Labor fought hard (if unsuccessfully) against the new accountability standards, and even a cursory glance at the NEA's recent filings--the first under the new rules--helps explain why. They expose the union as a honey pot for left-wing political causes that have nothing to do with teachers, much less students.

We already knew that the NEA's top brass lives large. Reg Weaver, the union's president, makes $439,000 a year. The NEA has a $58 million payroll for just over 600 employees, more than half of whom draw six-figure salaries. Last year the average teacher made only $48,000, so it seems you're better off working as a union rep than in the classroom.
    Many of the organization's disbursements--$30,000 to the Central Intercollegiate Athletic Association, $122,000 to the Center for Teaching Quality--at least target groups that ostensibly have a direct educational mission. But many others are a stretch, to say the least. The NEA gave $15,000 to the Human Rights Campaign, which lobbies for "lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender equal rights." The National Women's Law Center, whose Web site currently features a "pocket guide" to opposing Supreme Court nominee Sam Alito, received $5,000. And something called the Fund to Protect Social Security got $400,000, presumably to defeat personal investment accounts.

The extent to which the NEA sends money to states for political agitation is also revealing. For example, Protect Our Public Schools, an anti-charter-school group backed by the NEA's Washington state affiliate, received $500,000 toward its efforts to block school choice for underprivileged children. (Never mind that charter schools are public schools.) And the Floridians for All Committee, which focuses on "the construction of a permanent progressive infrastructure that will help redirect Florida politics in a more progressive, Democratic direction," received a $249,000 donation from NEA headquarters.

When George Soros does this sort of thing, at least he's spending his own money. The NEA is spending the mandatory dues paid by members who are told their money will be used to gain better wages, benefits and working conditions. According to the latest filing, member dues accounted for $295 million of the NEA's $341 million in total receipts last year. But the union spent $25 million of that on "political activities and lobbying" and another $65.5 million on "contributions, gifts and grants" that seemed designed to further those hyper-liberal political goals.
    The good news is that for the first time members can find out how their union chieftains did their political thinking for them, by going to www.union-reports.dol.gov, where the Labor Department has posted the details.

2. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +353 / 15 / -12

Good for them. Someone needs to balance out big business and conservative special interest groups that often support candidates who oppose many of the values that most teachers share or causes that are detrimental to students and teachers. Gay rights issues are a major issue not only for young students, but for teachers as well. Liberal and Democratic groups tend to support education much more than conservatives do, but the NEA has clearly learned that politics has a price. You scratch my back, I'll scratch yours. The only question I have is why were they supporting Amnesty International? While it's a wonderful group that I too support, I don't know of what relation it would have to teachers, students, and educational issues. Possibly, Amnesty International offers some sort of program to help schools make students aware of various human rights issues, but that's only a guess.

3. PatsWickedPissah

Ratings:
    +2,086 / 21 / -13

Disable Jersey

Those left wing issues have tangential relevance at best to the fundamental goals of educating students and improving the employment quality of life for teachers. The NEA owns the DNC. Talk about total lack of balance.

As to balance from others did you miss George Soros' record breaking contributions to the leftist orgs enabled by the Campaign Financing loopholes?

4. Pujo

Pujo Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

This is almost a complete thought. Only thing missing is a discussion about police unions that heavily support Republicans, or corporations that spend their shareholders' money on political activity.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2006
  5. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +818 / 2 / -9

How in the hell will giving money to that "Crooked Racist Con Man" Jessie Jackoff be of any help to students.

Isn't it discriminatory to shell out money to homosexuals but give none to straight-sexuals. (But of course the nicey nicey Neo Libs wouldn't even think of that), "bad old sraight people".

Jessie, his women and his home boys must laugh their rectums off when the money comes rolling in. "Great to be black in America eh Jess"

I'm a sissy, I sleep with girls.

6. Patters

Ratings:
    +353 / 15 / -12

Campaign financing is a mess. Whether the a mess beause of regulation or lack of regulation is another matter. I think we need a constitutional amendment if we're to have effective campaign financing, but since the people who benefit from the mess would have to approve such an amendment, I doubt if we'll ever see one.

As far as the NEA goes, the article is obviously biased and makes it sound like the NEA gave $65 million to left wing groups. Of course, we don't know that. It's possible they gave $2,000 to PUSH and $1,000 to Amnesty International. The government website provides no easy help -- I couldn't find a breakdown of the NEA's contributions. As far as the NEA owning the DNC, I don't think that's true, but it is true that teachers tend to be liberal or moderate as a result of their firsthand experience teaching kids from various backgrounds, and as result of the fact that the quality of education is somewhat controlled by taxpayers.

7. PatsWickedPissah

Ratings:
    +2,086 / 21 / -13

Disable Jersey

The vast majority of corps give equally to both parties.
    And if you're a dissatisfied shareholder you can sell your shares, unlike unions like the NEA, police union et. al. where you MUST pay the dues regardless of your personal opinion.
    I don't see police unions donating big bucks to far right orgs. Maybe you do.

8. Patters

Ratings:
    +353 / 15 / -12

You can't sell individual shares in a mutual fund.

9. Pujo

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

I call complete and total BS! I'm not going to spend the time to do the research just to argue with you, but I've seen over and over that corporations spend much more on Republican candidates than Democrats. This is especially true now that the Republicans control the executive and congress.

If you're a dissatisfied contributor you can find another job. That's called free-market. I'll say the same thing about Police unions that I said about corps.

10. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +523 / 14 / -28

As a former union member and official, the issue is you don't like everything they do all the time, but when you get into a beef or if your rights are violated, love for them to be by your side. Most of the times they win, because management are an arrogant bunch of dumb f..cks who don't dot their i's or cross their t's.

11. PatsWickedPissah

Ratings:
    +2,086 / 21 / -13

Disable Jersey

Most folks don't have to change CAREERS to avoid a bad situation. You ignore that detail in your facile dismissal of reality.

12. Pujo

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Again, I see absolutely no reason to do research when I know I'm right. I don't feel I have to convince you or anyone else that I'm right, since in the grand scheme of things it just does't matter.

True about most folks not having to change careers, but free-market is free-market and that's what it dictates for THESE PEOPLE. Unless you're in favor of some kind of special protection for a specific group of individuals... hrm, sounds like you're a radical liberal to me.

13. Patters

Ratings:
    +353 / 15 / -12

Pissah, just as you pointed out that a union member who disagrees with his union only has the option of leaving his job, the same hold true for an employee who disagrees with his employer. That's just the way it works. It might not be fair that unions and corporations can spend money on causes that may not reflect the values of their employees, members, shareholders, etc., it's just the way it works until there's better campaign financing in place. Of course, you would prefer to tie the hands of the left and let the right continue to bankroll efforts to boost pollution, build unnecessary weapons, deny civil rights to various groups, etc., but unfortunately for you our nation has evolved to have some level of political equality.

14. ELOrocks17

ELOrocks17 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Too bad the NEA was too busy funding radical, anti family organizations to be bothered with the welfare of thier own members. How sad.

15. PatsWickedPissah

Ratings:
    +2,086 / 21 / -13

Disable Jersey

Let me try to be clear. I can quit my job with an employer and easily take another. Teachers and cops must quit their CAREER entirely to escape union policies. That's a world of difference. A new career requires training and experience. A new private sector non-union job typically brings more or equal pay BECAUSE of the career experience.

16. Pujo

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Not all teachers are unionized. Go teach at a private, non-union school. And so what if someone has to change their career? Cops that get tired of being shot at might also want a change of career.

Auto workers in America have been changing careers for 50 years. Would you pass a law that barred auto companies from moving production overseas? Of course not.

17. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +818 / 2 / -9

"Hey Jessie, let us know when you need some money" :rocker:

18. Pujo

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Hey, I would give Jessie Jackson money if I knew it pissed you off, and I don't even like Jessie Jackson.

19. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +818 / 2 / -9

Go to it, as long as it ain't my money, while your at it rent a helicopter and drop some condoms down on Provincetown. It must be wonerful to be a liberal and do all that good, it must make you guys feel all gooey and goose bumpy.

Have you ever thrown water on a beached whale? :singing:

Al Gore once tried to copulate with a Spotted Owl.

20. Pujo

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Hey, if that's the worst kind of stuff you can snicker at liberals for, they're doing pretty good.