Welcome to PatsFans.com

Death Penalty -- Troy Davis

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by chicowalker, Sep 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chicowalker

chicowalker On the Roster

Ratings:
    +158 / 2 / -2

2. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

somwhere out there far away...in the Reagan libarary .... a group of conservatives read the first two words of this thread and started cheering.

There were some high fives

Possibly a "woo-hoo!"

In a few weeks, these same people will protest an abortion clinic, because NOBODY should take the life of an innocent human...

and all the while, we....as Americans take 4 steps backwards...and inch ever so close to being as stupid as TPTB want us to be.
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2011
  3. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

Troy Davis execution delayed

Troy Davis execution delayed

"While most of the prisoners whose executions we participated in accepted responsibility for the crimes for which they were punished, some of us have also executed prisoners who maintained their innocence until the end," the wardens wrote in a press release. "It is those cases that are most haunting to an executioner."

-the former warden in charge of the Georgia death chamber.

and more to Chico's point....

"What worries me now is that we're looking at a martyr," said Anne Emanuel, a death penalty expert and law professor at Georgia State University. "This is the kind of case that troubles people that otherwise support the death penalty."
  4. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +370 / 8 / -3

#11 Jersey

While I feel a tremendous sorrow for the family of the murdered police officer I must admit I am relieved that the execution was delayed. I only know what I've read of this case but from what I can tell, if anyone deserves another hearing, Troy Davis is that guy. With no concrete evidence and the testimony of that many eye witnesses saying they were coerced into giving false testimony, more witnesses saying they saw someone else commit the crime and even a name and identity of that other person supposedly being available - common sense says the whole thing needs to be looked at again.

Hopefully the Supreme Court agrees.
  5. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +613 / 4 / -12

#87 Jersey

6. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +370 / 8 / -3

#11 Jersey

Well that was just plain cruel.....

The Supreme Court denied the stay of execution.
  7. chicowalker

Ratings:
    +158 / 2 / -2

I doubt there was much the Supreme Court really could do.

Obama and the Georgia governor, otoh, are either cowards or have no sense.
  8. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +130 / 7 / -13

Funny Amnesty Intl and the NAACP didn't protest this execution today:

White supremacist executed for Texas dragging  | ajc.com

Indeed Bush was excoriated by the NAACP and dems even ran a campaign ad about it.

I am glad this guy was executed, but for some reason cops killers are the darlings of the left.
  9. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +169 / 4 / -4

Yes, you got it right. We think the guy was a cop killer and that is why we wanted him spared. I think such inciteful crap from you is beneath you. In any reasonable set of eyes, there's at least some cause to think Troy Davis is a victim of a miscarriage of justice and there's at least some moral justification for opposing the death penalty as a matter of PRINCIPLE. In my opinion, reasonable people who support his execution will see the balance of justice as tilting against him; unreasonable people who support his execution will see it as liberals loving cop killers.
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2011
  10. chicowalker

Ratings:
    +158 / 2 / -2

Were there any doubts about whether he did it?

either another lie from you, complete ignorance or just being disingenuous.

Which is it, 13?

Anyway, the word you left out is "alleged." Look it up if you don't know what it means.

What's sad is how people like you have such utter contempt for government... except when it's the criminal "justice" system killing a person. Then you LOVE government. Regulate corporations? heaven forbid. Put somebody in jail for possession of a drug? Absolutely! (if it's the wrong drug, of course) Kill somebody who might be innocent? Fantastic! Small government all the way!

eh, you're probably cheering, just like the pubbie neanderthals who cheered Perry. Guess that's what cowards need to feel better about their own shortcomings.
  11. chicowalker

Ratings:
    +158 / 2 / -2

It's really not. It's exactly 13's level, as he has demonstrated here time and time again.
  12. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +169 / 4 / -4

Chico, I think your response is uncalled for. Right now in this forum, righties are heavily outnumbered by moderates and liberals and come under very frequent attack. Given that, I think PF has shown a lot of restraint, and my hope is not to score points but to give him room to think about his comments. Your comment sort of makes that more difficult for him to do, in my opinion.
  13. chicowalker

Ratings:
    +158 / 2 / -2

And I think you're wrong, obviously.

Certain righties "attack" all the time, and they're generally the ones who get it back.

and my comment makes it difficult for him to think about his comments? If so, that's much more of a negative comment than I could ever make. If somebody wilts under "pressure" on a message board, that demonstrates almost a comical lack of character.
  14. chicowalker

Ratings:
    +158 / 2 / -2

15. IcyPatriot

Ratings:
    +613 / 4 / -12

#87 Jersey

Who here has totally studied this case? The man was given every benefit of doubt from our legal system - this is the system we have chosen and live by. Sorry for him and his family but if there was any real doubt I think he would have been spared.

Supposedly his lawyers had numerous chance to prove his innocence and yet they could not. So some conservatives here are attacked - does that make you feel better now? Was it the fault of conservatives that he was executed?

Troy Davis case - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Judge must decide whether Troy Davis proved innocence in cop killing  | ajc.com
  16. chicowalker

Ratings:
    +158 / 2 / -2

This should have nothing to do with conservative v. liberal, aside from the hypocrisy of any conservatives who pretend they want small government when really all they want is lower taxes and corporate deregulation.

This is about fundamental human rights.

He may very well be guilty. But there clearly is doubt, as there are many issues with the case. If we're going to have a death penalty, it shouldn't be in cases where there is any possibility that the convicted didn't do it (imo). What exactly has been accomplished here by executing him rather than imprisoning him for life?
  17. IcyPatriot

Ratings:
    +613 / 4 / -12

#87 Jersey

Chico you were the one in the thread attacking the right ... start from the top ... you opened that door yourself. His lawyers had more chances than the usual to open the door of doubt and they could not. If he was given life perhaps that would have been better - but he killed a cop and we have laws for a reason. Killing a cop has to be penalized severely or contempt for the law would increase.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2011
  18. chicowalker

Ratings:
    +158 / 2 / -2

Actually, you didn't start high enough.

You skipped over the completely disingenuous post I was responding to (#8). My criticism up until that was leveled at both Obama (Dem) and the GA governor (a Republican if it's still Deal).

As for what I did write, yes, anybody who stands and applauds somebody for executing over 200 people is a neanderthal. I don't care what party they are. If you want to defend that behavior, let's hear it -- the floor is yours.

And, yes, anybody cheering tonight is an animal, and perhaps a racist. I guess the question is, why are you presuming those people only to be on the right?

Once convicted, "opening the door of doubt" isn't enough.

He may have killed a cop.

But nobody's questioning whether we should have laws against killing cops -- that's a strawman.

That's another strawman. Unless you view life in prison as something short of a severe penalty, nobody I know of is advocating that we shouldn't have severe penalties for killing cops.
  19. Ilikehappyppl

Ilikehappyppl Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

IMO,

We should never kill someone without 100% certainty and DNA to back it up, if there is no DNA and no witnesses no murder weapon he should not be killed, I don't know much about the case so I don't know what all they have on him.

Found this:

No physical evidence directly links him to the murder.
    No murder weapon was ever found.
    The case against him primarily rested on witness testimony, which contained inconsistencies even at the time of the trial.
    Since his trial, seven of nine key witnesses have recanted or changed their testimony, some alleging police coercion.
    Throughout the trial and subsequent appeals, Troy Davis has maintained his innocence.

Bianca Jagger: Letter to Chairman of Georgia Board of Pardons and Paroles: Grant Clemency to Troy Davis

Sounds like they shouldn't of killed him, well the blood is on there hands if he really didn't do it......
  20. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +370 / 8 / -3

#11 Jersey

And perhaps they would have - if he had not admitted that he'd been there, if there were not an abundance of DNA and evidence found at the scene at the time and if 7 of the 9 "eye-witnesses" had recanted their identification.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.