Welcome to PatsFans.com

Death of India rape victim stirs anger, promises of action

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Patters, Dec 29, 2012.

1. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +567 / 22 / -19

In our own country, prior to the feminist movement of the 1970s, it was not uncommon for a judge to acquit someone of rape because the woman dressed provocatively, for husbands to legally rape their wives, and for sex crimes to cause so much shame for the victim that the victim and her (his) family kept it secret. Of course, back in the 1970s, you had the American right wing actively disparaging the women's movement. They often still do. Susan Faludi wrote a terrific book, Backlash, that provides ample documentation of that. At any rate, it's hopeful to see what is going on India in response to the abuse of women. All around the world, we see men slowing losing their special privileges and conservative social beliefs dying a well deserved death. The world has a long way to go, but the progress is encouraging.

Death of India rape victim stirs anger, promises of action | Reuters

(Reuters) - A woman whose gang rape provoked protests and rare national debate about violence against women in India died from her injuries on Saturday, prompting promises of action from a government that has struggled to respond to public outrage.

The unidentified 23-year-old medical student suffered a brain injury and massive internal damage in the attack on December 16 and died in hospital in Singapore where she had been taken for treatment.

Protesters rallied peacefully in the capital New Delhi and other cities across India to keep the pressure on Prime Minister Manmohan Singh's government to get tougher on crimes against women. That was in contrast to the pitched battles protesters fought with police last weekend.

2. Nikolai

Nikolai Football Atheist PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,473 / 1 / -1

#54 Jersey

Never miss a chance to score political points, eh? Anyway, this line smells like bull****. Have sources on this? I'll gladly apologize if I'm wrong.

In any event, I'm hoping this is a watershed moment in India, but there is a lot of cultural inertia there, and the country is not all that tightly connected culturally, socially, etc.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2012
  3. Patters

Ratings:
    +567 / 22 / -19

This is actually the story I was thinking about, but when it came out there was a lot in the media about how rape is prosecuted. This was a particularly egregious example, but there were certainly other examples of young women, prostitutes, and others not getting justice for violent crimes committed against them.

Simonson First Elected Official to be Recalled – Madison, WI – Surrounded by Reality

Here's another example:

The Evening Independent - Google News Archive Search

4. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +896 / 7 / -3

What a bunch of savage primitives in these 3rd world countries. All the more reason our borders need to be sealed, and our immigration process organized, controlled, and regulated.

What the F is wrong with people on this planet? I read some of these stories from these god forsaken places, and can't fathom how people can think and act this way in the 21st century. That poor girl. Those animals who did this should be eliminated asap.

5. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +773 / 14 / -6

#24 Jersey

Nkolai, not only did it happen then - it still happens now.

Arizona Judge Jacqueline Hatch Apologizes For Chiding Sex Abuse Victim - Careers Articles

6. DocHoliday

DocHoliday In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +134 / 2 / -1

If you really want to really get mad, look at the details of her injuries.

Vomit inducing.

7. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +814 / 26 / -33

America is not far behind....

James Knight Melissa Nelson: Dentist fires employee for being irresistible, sexy

That RC Country Italy is a tad weird also..

Read more: 'Tight clothes to blame for domestic violence': Outrage after Italian priest Piero Corsi claims women responsible for provoking 'worst instincts' of men | Mail Online
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

8. scout

scout Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +51 / 0 / -2

#15 Jersey

Wow. That excerpt started me thinking of this last election. A few politicians destroyed their chances of winning with remarks regarding rape or female reproduction. Those comments were so outrageous, it would not be a stretch to think they might think along these lines. At the very least, it gives credibility that we still have a lot of ignorance here in the United States.

9. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +773 / 14 / -6

#24 Jersey

As a woman I am always surprised when people (men, mostly) are surprised to find this kind of thinking still exists. It's been a fact of life for me since I was old enough to understand there was a difference between men and women. It was bad, it got better, it's getting bad again.

I spent several years in the 80s working a rape hotline and then being a rape victim advocate - we stayed with a victim from hospital to court verdict - the stories I could tell would shock some people, I suppose, but many women would just take them for granted as "how it is."

One only has to listen to Rush to realize how prevalent a certain "blaming" attitude still is.

Catholic priests are joining the fray:

Italian priest’s Christmas flyer: Women incite domestic violence with cold dinners | The Raw Story

Canada's no better.

Forbez DVD Blog | Judge Rules That Because Woman Was Dressed Provocatively, The Man Who Raped Her Shouldn’t Go to Prison

Nor is England:

Lawyer Nick Freeman says women who dress provocatively 'victimise men' | Mail Online

edited to add: Didn't see Darryll's post - sorry for the repeat from the Catholic Church.

10. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +814 / 26 / -33

This stuff is not exclusive to "third world countries"..

A lot of progress has been made, but still a long way to go..

11. Nikolai

Nikolai Football Atheist PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,473 / 1 / -1

#54 Jersey

So apparently it does happen. I said I'd apologize if sources were presented to back up the claim I quoted, and while I got a source on an example here and there, it falls short of the standard set by the phrase "not uncommon". For all the cases of rape in this country, pulling three cases makes it somewhat rare actually.

I honestly don't know enough about this to speak authoritatively, but to me, "not uncommon" would mean that we're talking in the 40-50% range. I don't think that's what we're talking about here. Now, if it happens once, it's terrible and awful and I fully support doing everything we can to stamp these attitudes, and the officials who own them, out.

I'm not surprised there are vestiges of that thinking remaining. However, it's not an epidemic thankfully, and while there is much to do, it's ok to acknowledge that progress has been made.

Someone mentioned Canada. It's a little known fact that Canada has a fairly serious problem with rape, and it's one of the violent crimes for which Canada has a significantly higher rate than the US over the last several years.

And you can't compare what happens in the US to what happens in India, Pakistan and the like. To do that smacks of ethnocentric ignorance.

12. Patters

Ratings:
    +567 / 22 / -19

Nikolai, this sort of stuff is not well documented. Let's face it, documenting rape in history is nearly impossible because women often did not report it, police often did not investigate, prosecutors often did not prosecute it, and judges often gave people lighter sentences. There's probably some Ph.D dissertation on the subject, but I can't find anything more solid than what I posted. But, consider that in the 1970s, the country defeated an amendment to the constitution that said, "equality of rights under the law shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or any state on account of sex," and it should show how backward we really are. (One of the main arguments, by the way, used by the right to defeat the amendment was that if passed it would result in men and women having to share the same public restrooms!)

13. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Hall of Fame Poster

Ratings:
    +552 / 6 / -24

#18 Jersey

If a man or woman owns a business and employs someone they get the wrong feelings for, they SHOULD be able to let them go. After all, it is their business and their marriage and if that's what they need to do for the best of their business and their marriage, it's okay to fire that person.

Supreme court made the right decision.

14. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +814 / 26 / -33

I do not agree, if the employer cannot get beyond that this woman is not a sexual object to be conquered, than it is not her fault..

We, as a society, demonize unattractive women and beautful women, her looks have nothing to do with her competence and should not be a factor.

15. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +773 / 14 / -6

#24 Jersey

So if your boss's wife decides she doesn't like recovering alcoholics it's ok for her husband to fire you in spite of the fact that you're a top rate employee?

16. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +896 / 7 / -3

How is that the same thing? Patters post said judges were acquiting rapers. The Hatch guy was ruled guilty.

Sheesh... Ok so a girl is gang raped to death in India, and you think that the owner of a private business letting an employee go, is more or less akin to that. :rolleyes:

******* Italians....LOL. What's funny is that some people think Europe is more open, liberal, and free compared to us neondrathols (sp?) here in the US, but in many ways, it's quite the opposite.

Yeah sure, some people still think that way. I think they're very much the minority, and to some extent, that thinking will always exist. It is a reality of life unfortunately.

Yes they did.

So I guess the OWNER of the business, the man who's responsible for making sure paychecks can actually be cashed, should either a) close down, b) get divorced, or c) instantly become gay. The problem with option c is, he might have a handsome male employee working there. :D

Seriously people, it always tends to the be the people who collect checks, who want to tell the people who provide them, what they can and cannot do with their business. This is a private company. It is not publically trade corporation, or government entity. An owner should be free to hire and fire whomever it is they please, for whatever reason they so choose. I get why it sucks for the employee, but it's a private business.

17. DocHoliday

DocHoliday In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +134 / 2 / -1

I'm with PR, if it's a small business and the owner knows an employee is gonna be trouble for him - fire away. It's his place and frankly you can't even prove its about looks 99.99% of the time.

If its a bigger place where they can shuffle people around, it's a different story

18. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +773 / 14 / -6

#24 Jersey

19. Brock Samson

Brock Samson On the Game Day Roster

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Ha ha ha ha the seething screed of the fellowship of the miserable! LOL!

20. Patsfanin Philly

Patsfanin Philly Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +219 / 0 / -0

#95 Jersey