Welcome to PatsFans.com

Death of a tyrant, cover-up of crime by another

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by PressCoverage, Jan 2, 2007.

1. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

an excellent essay... let's wait and see certain Bunker-ites blast another Vietman Vet for speaking out against something that just seems wrong all the way around...

Death of One Tyrant a Coverup of Crime by Another

By Wm. Terry Leichner

Once again the barbarians have succeeded in professing human dignity while ignoring human life's sanctity. My thoughts are filled with disgust as the so called civilized world revels in the hanging of Saddam Hussein yesterday.

Don't mistake my total distaste of the execution of Hussein for any alliance or sympathy for the tyrant killer. I just tire of the "morally superior" position of this nation (U.S.) when it comes to the administration's posturing around the capture, trial and execution of the man our government installed in the first place.

We did the same thing with Noriega in Panama and Diem in Vietnam. This names only a couple of many tyrants our nation has been responsible for bringing to power and maintaining in power at the expense of their own citizens.

Let's not forget the now infamous photo of Donald Rumsfeld warmly greeting Saddam back in the 1980's when it was ever so convenient to have a dictator in charge of a country with the second largest oil reserve in the world.

Let's not forget how we encouraged an uprising against Saddam after Gulf War I and then abandoned the rebels to be killed and tortured by his ruthless police.

Let's not forget when sanctions were in place, blocking even humanitarian aid such as medical supplies and water purification, Dick Cheney went around the rules that made it a crime to provide any supplies. By using the European branch of Halliburton (he was CEO at the time) Cheney helped supply Saddam with pipe for the oil fields. No doubt the costs were marked up and Halliburton made a tidy profit.

<snip>

The execution of Saddam is "mission accomplished" for George Bush in covering up ever increasing evidence of his illegal actions to usurp Iraqi rights to their own natural resources.

The execution is his continued message to the American people that we have the inalienable right to do what we want by any means necessary.

So, let us not pat ourselves on the back in congratulations for the hanging of the tyrant, Saddam. We haven't proved our morality or our great respect for life. We've proved just the opposite. We've proved our continued immoral foreign policy is designed to further our greed and power in the world. We've proved the lives of our own young and the innocent citizens of any nation are expendable to support lies, illegality and immorality. And we've proved our disdain and disrespect for human lives.

In today's news, parents of American troops killed are quoted as pleased with the execution because it gives meaning to the deaths of their children. Sadly, the death of Saddam only provides further proof of the tragic loss of their children to an illegal and unnecessary war.

As the song "Where Have All the Flowers Gone" intones, "…when will they ever learn?"

Wm. Terry Leichner, RN

Wm. Terry Leichner is a founding member of Vietnam Veterans Against the War(VVAW)'s Denver chapter (1971). He served in the U.S. Marine Corps as a combat infantryman in Vietnam (1967-1969). For more information, please visit www.combatvetsvisionsofpeace.com

2. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,125 / 3 / -10

That Was Then This Is Now
    Nothing Is Forever
    America God Shed His Grace On Thee

3. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

i do find it extremely odd that the trial vanished from the spotlight after the first week, when Saddam was making such a nuisance of the proceedings...

why no major American press present and dictating Saddam's rants?

why no major European press detailing what the man was trying to say? he was completely muzzled to the Western ears and eyes...

we'll likely never know what Saddam had to say about the past 26 years of American foreign policy in the Middle East... we couldn't dare have that, now could we?... "make him dead, and quickly, please"...

4. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +1,125 / 3 / -10

Hanging Is Better Than Being Thrown Off A Roof
    :bricks:

5. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

you're quite possibly the worst, most irrelevant poster i've ever encountered on any message forum... when you make a point, supported with links or facts, it'll be a first...

6. PatsFanInEaglesLand

PatsFanInEaglesLand In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +153 / 10 / -16

#37 Jersey

So you don't think the same would apply to Blair, Chirac, Putin, Mubarak, King of Jordan, ect...............?

Do you not think that if he was saying something like that Syria, Iran or Chavez would of let the world know?

7. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Whoa!! Are YOU saying Saddam didn't throw people off of roofs? didn't have rape rooms for wives, daughters and mothers of his enemies, where the men had to watch their women getting gang raped before they themselves were shredded in plastic-shredding machines? that Saddam didn't drop nerve gas on WOMEN, CHILDREN, AND OLD INVALID PEOPLE???

Get a life in reality, presscoverage; stop this insane crucifixion of GWB!! He has his faults, so let's deal with them CONSTRUCTIVELY not with the goal of taking off his head. The crucifixion of Nixon was purely evil enough. Because of it, Billy boy had to be impeached. But, if you try it again with Bush, the streets of America will be painted red with the blood of millions, NOT because anyone says so but because such blind hatred of these presidents will not allow any other outcome.

8. Fogbuster

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

I won't disagree that GWB has been moved by more than a little vengeance toward Saddam -- Saddam DID try to kill GB senior, after all -- yet Saddam clearly made more enemies in the world than just Geo W Bush. Even those hooded guys at the gallows probably hate Bush almost as much as they hated Saddam.

So Bush's issues do not make him anywhere near a "criminal of the worst kind", NEM. Hatred of anybody is never a healthy thing. In the case of a president of the nation the world is expecting to show a better way, it is suicide. Don't do it. Turn your feelings into the desire to help your fellow man, no matter how much you disagree with him; you'll be surprised at how much that good will can come back to help you when you least expect it.

//

9. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +899 / 7 / -3

I'm still trying to figure out what the man who wrote the articles point was. Someone explain it to me like I'm a 2 year old please.

10. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +1,125 / 3 / -10

Like him or not, with all his faults, Bush Is The President, he may not be perfect but he will never back down once his mind is made up and he certainly will never back down to that "Bastard Pelosi Gang"

Bush is the president, Gore/Kerry are not, live with it, you'll get another shot at it in 2008.

Bush has done one thing right though, he has driven the "Hater Democrats" insane.
    :bricks:

11. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

oooo... what a zinger at the end... i mean, i think i understand what you were trying to say... but then you defended Richard Nixon, and the whole argument went swirling down the toilet... the streets will run red with the blood of millions of americans if Bush is impeached? LOL.... oh the drama!.... no, i don't think anything like that will happen... accept maybe in Midland, Texas, where the evangelicals may suffer a conniption... your first paragraph completely creates a strawman argument, for which i never said, so i won't even address that babble...

dear loyalists: ... at what point will you people come to grips with the fact that squawking, "you just hate Bush" over and over again continues to lose you the argument ... the man and his enablers are loathed because of their actions... he wasn't loathed before he began acting like an arrogant imperialist crusader... Cheney and Rumsfeld? yes, they were loathed before this administration took office, but that was only based on their actions as well, not merely their character... they seem like likable guys on the surface... but then they get to work, and are provided a military budget, and all hell breaks loose...

further, the man is the most partisaned president i can ever remember, despite pleading with the new Congress to not be so.... how convenient, George....

Bush Consistently Played Politics During 109th Congress

In an op-ed in today’s Wall Street Journal, President Bush urges the new Congress to not “play politics as usual.” He writes, “If the Congress chooses to pass bills that are simply political statements, they will have chosen stalemate. If a different approach is taken, the next two years can be fruitful ones for our nation.”

But three of the most egregious examples of partisan politicking in the 109th Congress — gay marriage, flag burning, and Terry Schiavo — were pushed by the President.

-- Ban on Gay Marriage: In every year of the 109th Congress, Bush urged lawmakers to pass a constitutional ban on gay marriage. From the beginning, the move received little public support and was considered “likely to fail,” but Bush and other conservatives continued to push it as one of the most important issues facing the nation. When the amendment failed in the Senate in June, the New York Times reported that Bush “expressed disappointment,” but urged lawmakers to “take several [more] tries.”

-- Ban on Flag Burning: Conservatives’ attempt to ban flag burning was opposed by the majority of Americans, called a “non-problem” by a Republican senator, and would have violated rulings by the Supreme Court that declared flag burning protected free speech. Yet Bush supported the amendment and when the vote in the Senate failed, called on the senators to keep trying.

-- Terry Schiavo Legislation: Bush and conservative leaders in Congress used the tragic case of Schiavo as an opportunity for political grandstanding. A memo, which the AP reported was distributed by Senate leadership to right-wing members, called Schiavo “a great political issue.” Bush played his part in the spectacle by flying to Washington from his ranch in Crawford to sign the bill, even though waiting a few hours for the bill to be flown to him would likely “have made no difference in whether Ms. Schiavo lives.”

Under Bush’s watch, the 109th Congress used valuable time to “play politics as usual.” It failed to raise the minimum wage, left nine out of 11 spending bills undone, and left unresolved a long list of national security priorities.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2007
  12. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

and there we have it... complete and utter capitulation...

he admits his hero has done only one thing right...

13. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

The debate I have on a constant basis is

Is Bush PURE evil, or utterly stupid? you can't be both and he is certainly one of them.

I like to think the man is smarter than he seems. so I tend to lean towards "Evil". BUt isn't doing evil things itself.....stupid?

I'm gunna run full speed into a wall right now........wish me luck!

14. Fogbuster

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Nixon was crucified by a self-serving elitist mob of Left-wing haters that began when Nixon was the only one in Congress with the cajones to say that communism was an evil that had to be opposed -- way back in 1948 in his "Checkers" speech. The hard Left never forgave him for that and marked him for political assassination from then. To try and hide from that is utterly pointless. Everyone knows this, here and there.

The homosex movement, promoting same-sex marriage and legitimatization, has been vanguarded by an extremely well-organized, well-planned, and well-financed group of individuals, like David Geffen -- much the same as the anti-Vietnam war effort was, hard Left communist anti-God. 100% anti-American. And now they have re-emerged from the sewers to go after Geo Bush and anyone else who stands up for faith in God and clean family life.

But this attack on virtue isn't going to succeed. They got Nixon, and so Clinton had to go down. It won't happen to Bush, for if it did, the entire country would disappear. You'd be speaking Spanish in a year, and Chinese in five years. But it isn't going to happen. Pelosi is a wild-eyed maniac and most of the leaders of that party are extreme fanatics, too. They will only expose themselves in short time. People are NOT as stupid as you would like to believe.

//

15. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

Senator McCarthy, ...good night, and good luck...

16. Fogbuster

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Ad hominems aside, you know what I said is true. And if you don't, just wait and see.

'buster

//

17. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

You mean sorta like all the Ad hominem in your previous post, rife with insecure righty babble? Especially the "white power" tinged paranoia about "speaking spanish in a year"... ? ... mmmm, yeah...

Ummm.... no, almost none of what you said is true... Else I wouldn't have posted about how ridiculous it was... Please don't suggest what I know... I'll relay what I know, and you can debate it, mmm-kay?

18. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +1,125 / 3 / -10

Speaking Spanish:
    Have you been to Miami lately, a little further north in the Boynton Beach area it's all Ebonics, go into a convienence store and ask them for a box of cookies and they have no idea what the f-ck your talking about, if they answer you, you have no idea what the hell they are talking about.

If you should move to Japan would you expect the whole country to learn how to speak English because you were to lazy to learn how to speak Japanese.
    :rocker:

19. Fogbuster

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

"Insecure righty babble"... ?? "White power"!!! :woohoo: That's rich!! My wife is Asian, speaks English with a *heavy* accent. Our son's English is better, and his Russian ain't bad, either. So, what's that make me: a "right-wing" Asian-loving/ Russian-loving/ American .... (??) what names do you have in your hat, besides "right wing"??

You people on the Far Left need to cut down on your hate pills. They're gonna get you in the end. Slow painful way to go. Not the quick exit Saddam got.

20. All_Around_Brown

All_Around_Brown In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Its interesting how many self-proclaimed conservatives show up, throw around a bunch of angry rhetoric, do everything they can to justify continued support for a failed presidency, call others hateful when they are always busy *****ing about gays and gay lifestyles, put in their token anti-Mexican blah blahs (what has the GOP done on this issue? nothing), then when tasked with actually coming up with a reasoned debate...claim "you hate Bush" and go away.

:bricks: Its all Al Boob Gore and Billy Blue Dresses fault!!:bricks: