PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Death of a Dynasty

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know if the dynasty is dead or not only time will tell. I do know that Brady is showing that he isn't the savior that evryone thought he was. Take the blinders off. If Brady doesn't improve the team will slide. He wil be the reason for the death of the dynasty if it does indeed die.

your post is full of silly rants, but Brady isn't getting better takes the cake, he had a QB rating of 87 this season with the WRs he had to work with, he is 29, and his QB skills are getting better and better, and when a team with supposedly "less" talent reached the AFCCG, then coaching was great IMO.
and what would you have done genius, when when your 2st, 2nd, and 3rd stringers were on the sidelines on defense?
some people think it's easy to get to the SB , and some think it's easy to win it...NEWSFLASH..it's NOT!!..just ask Dan Marino

Your opinion that my post is full of "silly rants" would be worthwhile if you had anywhere stated something to disprove my points. How are Brady's QB skills getting better? His numbers declined across the board this year and while you can use the WR excuse, it was apparent to anyone watching the games that Brady passes were poor for most of the season (he seemed to improve towards the end of the season). More worrisome however is that Brady's decision making skills declined this year. It's like he's trying to be (the old) Peyton Manning, forcing balls to his "favourite receiver", or trying to go deep when there are open guys underneath or short. The Pats win on Sunday had Brady simply played like Brady of the past. I don't know which games you're watching, but there's nothing about this season to indicate that Brady's "QB skills are getting better and better". Coaching was DREADFUL. Manning showed that he had discovered the soft spot in the Pats defense right before halftime. The Pats had halftime to make adjustments AND a 15 pt lead to play with. Not only did they NOT make adjustments, they went conservative both on defense and on offense. This made NO sense whatsoever considering they were playing with a two score LEAD (i.e. they could afford to take chances). It didn't appear that the Pats ran any deep routes so the Colts D was able to cluster close to the line of scrimmage and easily disrupt the Pats O. I'm always willing to defer to the coaches since they are the professionals, but they made the Indy D look better than it is with their conservative playcalling. The inability to fix fundamental ongoing problems such as tackling and special teams play (our guys are always NEVER down the field, never make the first tackle and never give our return guys much room to manuever) also doesn't reflect well on the coaching staff. No defense, no matter how POOR, should give up 32 points in a half. For comparison, the WORSE DEFENSE (pts wise) in the league this year was San Fran...and they gave up 26 points per GAME (i.e. TWO HALFS of football).

"Getting close" doesn't make a team a dynasty. Consistently competing and winning SBs makes a team a "dynasty". If the Pats win SBs in '08 & '09, then I will be wrong about the dynasty being dead. However, I don't see that happening. Everyone thought the Yankees were on a historical roll until it all came undone on a routine bunt. How many championships have they won since then? I see the same thing happening to the Pats - they blew their chance to be a dynasty with their atrocious play the last two years.

Everyone thought the Yankees were on a historical roll until it all came undone on a routine bunt. How many championships have they won since then? I see the same thing happening to the Pats - they blew their chance to be a dynasty with their atrocious play the last two years.

This particular observation deserves some greater reflection.

(Please excuse long post)

The record will show that the New England Patriots went 17–2, 17–2, 11–7, 14–5 the past four seasons, with playoff games included in those totals. Almost everyone agrees that the 2005 Miami season-ender could have been won had the team wished to win it, which would raise their record over the past two years from 25–12 to 26–11.

The Pats won the AFC East each year. Such is a good and basic standard of excellence. So let's take a look at the records of the other division winners and wild card teams over those seasons (*= 2006 season not yet completed). I have listed the won-lost records from each of the past two years (incl. playoffs), and the winning %. In parentheses is the Indy and Chicago winning % if they should win / lose the Super Bowl, and NE winning % if they had won the Miami game.

2005 W-L, 2006 W-L: total W-L, winning %

Indy 14–3, 14–4*: 28–7* .800 (.806 / .778)
Chicago 11–6, 15–3*: 26–9* .743 (.750 / .722)
San Diego 9–7, 14–3: 23–10 .697
Denver 13–3, 9–7: 22–10 .688
NE 11–7, 14–5: 25–12 .676 (.703)
Seattle 15–4, 10–8: 25–12 .676
Pittsburgh 15–5, 8–8: 23–13 .639
Jacksonville 12–5, 8–8: 20–13 .606
Carolina 13–6, 8–8: 21–14 .600
Cincinnati 11–6, 8–8: 19–14 .576
Baltimore 6–10, 13–4: 19–14 .576
Kansas City 10–6, 9–8: 19–14 .576
NY Giants 11–6, 8–9: 19–15 .559
Dallas 9–7, 9–8: 18–15 .546
Philadelphia 6–10, 11–7: 17–17 .500
Washington 11–7, 5–11: 16–18 .471
Tampa Bay 11–6, 4–12: 15–18 .455
NY Jets 4–12, 10–7: 14–19 .424
New Orleans 3–13, 11–7: 14–20 .418

A couple of things emerge. Whatever happens in the Super Bowl, Indy will have posted the best winning % over the past two seasons, and Chicago will be second. If NE had won the Miami game, they would be third; as it stands, the Patriots are fifth. However, they made the playoffs each of the past two years, which San Diego and Denver cannot claim to have done. Some might say, and fairly, that these two teams have hurt each other by being in the same division, whereas NE has been the only strong team in the AFC East. Nevertheless, making the playoffs is the most important thing, and it affects one's winning %.

Is this 'atrocious play'? The numbers indicate otherwise. Moreover, NE is only one of three teams which did not come within a game of finishing .500, or worse. One could argue, then, that NE has been the third best team in the league the past two years, and that after winning the Super Bowl back-to-back. Compare that to Chicago's performance in 2003–2004, when their record was a dismal 12–20, .378 !!!

Only Indy, who finished 27–10 in 2003–2004, can lay claim to competing with the Patriots for supremacy in the league over the past four seasons. Overall, 2003–06 looks like this:

NE 59–16, .787
Indy 55–17*, .764 (56–17, .767 should they win the Super Bowl this year)

In other words, we just lost to the only team in the league which can come close to competing with us for winning since 2003. Despite the fact that we have had more coaching turnover than the Colts, and more (and more significant) injuries.

Is this the beginning of a precipitous decline, or simply a valley in-between championships? Only time can tell; but the Patriots' performance over the past two seasons, rather than atrocious, has been of an excellence approached by only a handful of teams. Perhaps this is not enough for us, who have become accustomed to winning it all...but it is still amazing.

Hey everyone,

I never expected the article to spark such a hot debate. I'm glad to see that most of you liked it, even though you may not agree 100%.

I would like to clarify a few things about the point I was trying to make:

For me, the past six years have represented a period of time where no team was ever able to get the best of the Patriots when it mattered most (unless the refs totally bailed them out like Denver last year). From 2001 up until last Sunday that had never, ever happened. To me, that's the real definition of a dynasty - unparallelled excellence.

So when the Colts finally took us to the woodshed and became the first team to legitimately take us down, it ended that period. (Yes, there were a few bad calls or two, but to blame the game on them would lower us to the level of the St. Louis Rams, the Raiders, the Colts themselves) Face it, we were outplayed.

The 2001-2004 era, where we won our Super Bowls were markedly different than these past two seasons. These past two years have been characterized by injuries, losing players, and trying to keep our head above water, instead of coming up with incredible games. Besides the San Diego game, how many classic "How did we pull that off?" games have their been the past two years. It's been a slow downward spiral that featured one last moment of greatness before the Colts ended our run.

I realize that the Niners and Steelers both had droughts of 2 years between titles. That's why I ended with "2007 is the second coming". This article is not about losing faith in Brady or Belichick and our ability to put together multiple championships in the coming years. It was basically to say that last Sunday marked the end of an era.

If the Patriots do happen to string together some more titles, it will be with a cast of players that will be nearly unrecognizable from the group that won the past three. The NFL has changed drastically since 2001, so to lump another run of titles in with the first set, doesn't make as much sense to me as grouping them as their own set of accomplishments. In a sense, we could be looking at two "mini" dynasties which would represent one larger one.

Look, since we dont' know the future, it's really hard to say how things will turn out. If the Patriots only win one more, say next year, than obviously you'd lump that in as 4 out of 7. But overall, my main point was to say that this was clearly the end of an era, and if the Patriots do succeed in the future, as I think they will, it will be as a very different team than the ones that won the first three titles.

Hey everyone,

If the Patriots do happen to string together some more titles, it will be with a cast of players that will be nearly unrecognizable from the group that won the past three. [...]

if the Patriots do succeed in the future, as I think they will, it will be as a very different team than the ones that won the first three titles.

Different? Well, to some degree. But here is a list of the players who were with the team in 2003, and who are still a part of the team (corrections welcome):

2003 and 2006
Banta-Cain, Brady, Bruschi, Brown, Davis, Faulk, Graham, Green, Harrison, Hochstein, Izzo, Koppen, Light, Pass, Samuel, Seymour, Vrabel, Walter (merely a cameo in 2006), Warren, Wilson
2003 IR: Colvin, Mruczkowski, Neal, Paxton

If we include the following year's Super Bowl winners, we get an additional group of players who are still on the team:

2004 and 2006
Dillon, Gay, Hill, Miller, Wilfork, Yates,
2004 IR: Alexander, Watson

Now, how many will still be with the Patriots next year? Barring retirement, most will be. At least 15 of these guys are pretty central to the team, and, arguably, 23 of these guys played a significant part on the team this year, and many (most?) of those will be back next year in some capacity.

It's true that there is not much continuity between this year's team and the one that beat the Rams in 2002. But should the Patriots climb the mountain again next year, I feel it will not be 'unrecognizable' from the 2003–04 Superteams.

Sigh....people who proclaim the "dyansty is dead" don't seem to understand the concept of the word.

In football terms a dyanasty is defined as sustained excellence over an extended period of time. The 49ers took nine seasons to win 4 SBs. We've won 3 in 6. Last time I checked, the 49ers were a dynasty.
The end of a dyansty is something you simply cannot call as it happens. Only through retrospective can you determine when a dynasty ended.

The dynasty appeared stillborn in 2002. And it looked like it was crumbling in the first half of 2005.

How can anyone point at a team which fough its way to the AFC championship only to run out of gas and say their dynasty is done? Hasn't everyone learned it's not simply a matter of compiling talent; we lose Branch, Givens, Vinatieri and Willie and yet the team still knocked at the door this season? Does anyone think they won't have as legitimate shot as anyone to win Super Bowl XLII?

OK, if we don't win the division in 2007, or else go 1-and-done in the play-offs, and then continue that trend in 2008, then we'll talk.

But to speak of a "Death of a Dynasty" is a dumb as Proehl proclaiming the birth of a dynasty before it actually happened (presuming he was talking about his Rams).

Sigh....people who proclaim the "dyansty is dead" don't seem to understand the concept of the word.

In football terms a dyanasty is defined as sustained excellence over an extended period of time. The 49ers took nine seasons to win 4 SBs. We've won 3 in 6. Last time I checked, the 49ers were a dynasty.

exactly, your dynasty is still alive and kicking, the Pats were just a play away from yet another Superbowl, if Sanders doesn't knock that 3rd and 4 pass to the ground the Pats have a first down and run out the clock...if im not mistaken didn't you have tons if injuries this year and still was more competitive then most NFL teams? BB is a great coach and Brady is a great QB, im looking forward to more battles in the future with the Pats..

exactly, your dynasty is still alive and kicking, the Pats were just a play away from yet another Superbowl, if Sanders doesn't knock that 3rd and 4 pass to the ground the Pats have a first down and run out the clock...if im not mistaken didn't you have tons if injuries this year and still was more competitive then most NFL teams? BB is a great coach and Brady is a great QB, im looking forward to more battles in the future with the Pats..

Spot on.

Please pass this on to your fellow Colts fans. Maybe then I could read Colts message boards. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back