PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Dear Pats Fans...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dear Charger Trolls,

Please take you cue from the several CLASSY (in the real sense) Chargers fans posting in this thread so far.

Great win today.

You have Zero chance next week :D

Dear Charger Trolls,

Please take you cue from the several CLASSY (in the real sense) Chargers fans posting in this thread so far.

Great win today.

Dear Charger Trolls,

Great win today.

Thanks for the Congrats and now we face the hardest task of all.:eek:

No doubt and deservedly so we will be given no chance at winning come next Sunday in Foxboro. As stated, your great team has been consistently great and met every challenge posed all season long and while I can say we have certainly improved in all phases since our Week 2 national debacle at your hands, I can not say we have played at your level in any game since with the possible exception of today.

But of course we will take our best shot at doing so come Sunday.:)

Re: Dear Pats Fans..........

You liked him balling and screaming at Colts fans? Like the guys calling the game said, it's issues like that he has to let go and rise above.

Congrats on a nice win too..

You guys and practically everyone else nationally are coloring Rivers wrong.

I say we have a three day moratorium on flame wars and appreciate the RCA Dome being sent to the far reaches of hell in the manner it deserved.

I love the Chargers for what they accomplished today. I love the chargers for the intensity they will bring into this game, hoping to avenge the playoff loss last year (still don't buy that concept, but I deny a man his own source of motivation), and I love the Chargers for sparing us another week of talking heads trying to figure if Tom Brady or Peyton Manning is better.

But you always hurt the ones you love. :bricks:

Wow the forum clock is really jammed up haha.

Congratulations on a great game and victory yesterday. Very few superlatives are left to express the incredibly brilliant season your QB and great team is having.
Congrats on beating both the Colts and the refs today.

good luck with the colts

you have zero chance
oops

As far as I have seen, he has neither cried or blame others. Truthfully, I prefer Rivers expression of exciting passion during the game whether things are going right or wrong over LT's expression of sad detachment when things are going wrong.

You liked him balling and screaming at Colts fans? Like the guys calling the game said, it's issues like that he has to let go and rise above.

Last edited:

Nationally football fans watching on TV have taken great exception to the way Rivers interacts with opposing team's fans in the stands and opposing team players themselves. After reading many many negative takes, I found one take that was spot on and it was ironically posted by a Patriots Fan:

blantyr said:
I will say I'm starting to respect Rivers more on the field after watching him play the last few weeks. Until recently, I've thought of the Chargers as LdT's team. To beat them, you stop the run and dare them to beat you in the air. Put enough men in the box, and a lot of teams can stop the run.

At this point, Rivers is playing well enough that simply stopping the run isn't going to do it. He is growing as a quarterback, and with him the Chargers are growing as a team.

I remember, in Tom Brady's early years, he used to show his emotion on the field too. Some QBs, like Favre, do well having fun on the field and letting everyone know it. Brady... has become so focused on avoiding mistakes that he has developed a 1000 yard stare. He sometimes reminds me of an actor playing Superman using his X Ray vision. Yes, Tom. We get it. You are intense and focused. Some might call this becoming more 'mature,' but Tom is a bit less fun to watch than he used to be. Of course, we loyal Patriots folk will quite forgive him for that, and then some. Winning is good.

Let Rivers be Rivers. I suspect he too will settle down after a few more years in the league. Meanwhile, the whole Chargers team is emotional, rather than disciplined. There are both pluses and minuses in taking that approach. One player, one game, one moment, won't define the trade off. I'll just watch em play.

I was looking for Boston's Bob Kravitz and I found him::)

Taking in the Trash

http://www.boston.com/sports/nesn/wilbur/sports_blog/blog/

"Despite the nationwide cry over the Colts losing, closer-to-home folks couldn’t be more pleased. A Boston.com survey shows that more than 70 percent of fans are happier to be playing the Chargers in lieu of the Colts in the AFC title game. The Colts, of course, presented the biggest challenge of the season. The Chargers present a plowed freeway to Arizona.

There will be less on-field drama come Sunday, for sure. But leading up to the weekend ought to be a hoot."

Thank You Eric Wilbur.

Last edited:
I was looking for Boston's Bob Kravitz and I found him::)

Taking in the Trash

http://www.boston.com/sports/nesn/wilbur/sports_blog/blog/

"Despite the nationwide cry over the Colts losing, closer-to-home folks couldn’t be more pleased. A Boston.com survey shows that more than 70 percent of fans are happier to be playing the Chargers in lieu of the Colts in the AFC title game. The Colts, of course, presented the biggest challenge of the season. The Chargers present a plowed freeway to Arizona.

There will be less on-field drama come Sunday, for sure. But leading up to the weekend ought to be a hoot."

Thank You Eric Wilbur.

Need some divine inspiration from a writer ? lol.

I suppose Igor the nutjob talking trash will go unoticed ? thinking Belicheck is trembling having to play a team we destroyed 38-14 at home this year.

42-13 Pats. Lights out ! Wooooooooooooooooooooooo

Oh geez. Charger fans already coming in here. Um, you guys need to win first. Seriously, do not believe this is a serious congratulations. Typical Charger fan trying to set the stage with their ridiculous smack dribble talk later...

You need a little more faith in humanity. Stop trying to find veiled meanings and hidden motives in everything.

Good luck on Sunday, although it's probably us that need it more.

Seriously, Don, tell the truth now...are you just going on random threads, quoting the last post, and blithering on about a random Chargers player and then posting your score prediction? Your posts don't even make sense in context. If you're going to post at least add something meaningful to the conversation.

Last edited:
Need some divine inspiration from a writer ? lol.

I suppose Igor the nutjob talking trash will go unoticed ? thinking Belicheck is trembling having to play a team we destroyed 38-14 at home this year.

42-13 Pats. Lights out ! Wooooooooooooooooooooooo

No more so than from Bob Kravitz last week which turned out pretty well.;)

And given that Pats Fans seek out inspiration whether divine or not, I thought you guys would appreciate this article.:)

My Money is on David......

My money is on David.........

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/default...ABN4122846.htm

The Chargers' Only Chance

By Andy Benoit, Contributing NFL Editor

(Sports Network) - Even the second king of the United Kingdom of Israel - otherwise known as David - had a better chance heading into his battle than do the battered San Diego Chargers.

The Chargers' four most important players - quarterback Philip Rivers, running back LaDainian Tomlinson, tight end Antonio Gates and nose tackle Jamal Williams - are all dealing with what have been well-documented, and will soon be nauseatingly over-documented, injuries.

What's more, the Goliath that San Diego is facing Sunday afternoon is a 17-0 juggernaut that already humiliated the team 38-14 on national television back in the second game of the season.

"Since Week 2 we wanted to go back up there against New England," said left tackle Marcus McNeill. "We are a much different team now. Even though they are rolling, we're going to try and go into this game like we take every game. We are going to be the underdogs and nobody wants us to win. But that's fine; we'll take the role again."

So far, the Chargers have done quite well in that role. Before they played the underdog, they were cast as the goat. A 1-3 start led to a 5-5 record in November, and first-year head coach Norv Turner was the biggest pariah in town.

Of course, the problems stopped there. Turner's team has since won eight consecutive games, including the most unlikely of all last week, when the shorthanded Bolts downed the defending world champion Colts 28-24 in the final game ever played in the RCA Dome.

"The way that we're playing now, nothing can stop us," defensive end Igor Olshansky boasted after that game. "The way that we overcome adversity and everything else. I guarantee you that Belichick and everybody else over there are scratching their heads saying, 'Man, we better get ready.'"

Olshansky's assessment is refreshing, considering the played-out cliche of "nobody is giving us a chance" is ripe for the Chargers' picking. It's early, but so far, the San Diego players are giving the Patriots their due respect and viewing this game from an uncommon lens of confident realism.
"It'll probably be the toughest game we've ever played," said LaDainian

Even the usually trenchant Philip Rivers said, "We know it will be a challenge. We are going against a team that might be the best there ever was."

Linebacker Shawne Merriman was equally level-headed, stating "We are going to come in there fired up, but they are undefeated this year and they have been tested several times," he said. "We have to go prove it. We have to go in there and show we can beat these guys."

But can the Chargers beat these guys? Sure, few thought they could down the Colts, but the Colts were a team they had defeated in their two previous matchups. The Patriots are the team that embarrassed them earlier this year and truncated their 14-win season the previous year.

In the interests of playing the devil's advocate, here are five factors that could help the 14-point underdog Chargers shock the mighty Patriots on Sunday:

Note: in all likelihood, all five of these factors, as well as the turnover battle, will have to fall in San Diego's favor if a stunning upset is to occur.

Note II: If either LaDainian Tomlinson or Philip Rivers is unable to play on Sunday, then consider the remainder of this piece a moot point.

Note III: Have you ever seen so many conditions placed on another list of conditions when making an argument for why one team can beat another in a conference Championship game?

1. Antonio Cromartie. Bill Belichick has already dismissed the relevance of his team's Week 2 victory, saying this is a different Chargers football team. He's right. One part of that difference is the cornerback Cromartie.

The first-team All-Pro was a mere backup when these clubs met in September. Against the Patriots, Cromartie recorded 0 tackles, 0 passes defensed and 0 interceptions. However, since Week 6, the second-year star out of Florida State has captured a starting job and registered a remarkable 11 interceptions. He is on the cusp of becoming a genuine stopper on the outside - the type of shutdown corner who can make quarterbacks rethink the way they attack downfield.

This alone makes Cromartie's presence significant, though what adds an extra flavor to the formula is the fact that he's 6'2" - which is essentially the equivalent of being a 6'8" point guard - and has a 40-inch-plus vertical leap. There is a certain Patriot receiver who has given opponents fits all season. Jacksonville was able to take him away by double- and triple-teaming him. Of course, they paid dearly for that, as Tom Brady picked them apart underneath. With the high-flying Cromartie, the Chargers have a fighting chance of containing Randy Moss with traditional coverage.

2. Stephen Cooper. Another young defensive standout who has emerged down the stretch for San Diego is inside linebacker Cooper. The fifth-year veteran began the season as a somewhat callow first-year starter but has since blossomed into a highly-active interior run defender (he's solid in pass coverage, as well). Cooper's improvement could help slow down the surging Laurence Maroney, and force the Patriots into a one-dimensional offensive approach. New England has thrived as a pass-happy offense all season, but against San Diego they'd be facing a defensive unit that led the league in interceptions in 2007.

3. Eric Weddle. Rookie safety Weddle has come into his own as of late, replacing the mediocre Clinton Hart in the starting lineup. Weddle's inimitable versatility allows him to line up anywhere on the field. Don't be surprised if Chargers defensive coordinator Ted Cottrell concocts a unique formula that, in some fashion, uses Weddle as a counter to deadly ex-Charger Wes Welker.

4. Chris Chambers. This speedy outside weapon was with the pathetic Dolphins last time these two teams squared off. Chambers has faced Belichick's team twice a year throughout his career and has historically been held in check (he's never had more than 75 yards receiving against New England and has, on several occasions, been held to under 40 yards). However, the Patriots could be playing right into San Diego's hands if they elect to take away Chambers. Against the Colts on Sunday, Rivers often eschewed Chambers and was able to find No. 2 wideout Vincent Jackson (seven receptions for 93 yards). The über- athletic Jackson has flourished in recent weeks; at 6'5", 241 pounds, the Patriots simply don't have a cornerback who can match up with him.

5. Momentum. Sure, the Patriots have won 17 straight, but such an extended streak is almost counterproductive to the intangible X-factor known as momentum. The Chargers, winners of eight straight, have been riding a wave since hitting their low point back in November. The Patriots, at this stage, aren't riding anything; they're just proving to be damn good swimmers. Ultimately, gravitational pull can halt any wave, but fatigue or a cramp can stunt any swimmer.

Are we reaching here, with factor Number 5? Certainly. But remember, David downed Goliath because he had a sling that, thanks to the laws of momentum, was able to launch a stone into the forehead of the presumably unbeatable Goliath.

--- Contact Andy Benoit: [email protected]

Congratulations on a great game and victory yesterday. Very few superlatives are left to express the incredibly brilliant season your QB and great team is having.

Ron Burgundy: Discovered by the Germans in 1904, they named it San Diego, which of course in German means a whale's vagina.

Veronica Corningstone: No, there's no way that's correct.

Ron Burgundy: I'm sorry, I was trying to impress you. I don't know what it means. I'll be honest, I don't think anyone knows what it means anymore. Scholars maintain that the translation was lost hundreds of years ago.

Veronica Corningstone: Doesn't it mean Saint Diego?

Ron Burgundy: No. No.

Veronica Corningstone: No, that's - that's what it means. Really.

Ron Burgundy: Agree to disagree.

Attachments

• burgandybm5.jpg
    burgandybm5.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 54
Philip Rivers/SD defense = Pats killer.

Your perfect season is about to end on Sunday. If you think your stadium is loud then you should have been at the RCA dome when the Bolts crushed national media's dream game. Gillette's noise level would be a whisper compared to last Sunday at the dome.

Did you see how McCree dislocated Reggie Wayne's shoulder in the last 2 minutes of the game? Moss and Welker should be thinking twice by now.

It'll be an exciting game but the outcome will not favor your home crowd.

Sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes