PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Dear Ol' Willie, it's time to follow what Corey did...

Status
Not open for further replies.

PATRIOT64

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Its sad to see it happen but now Willie McGinest is getting those recurring back problems he had when here in New England.

Last year in Cleveland it was ankle and calf problems and now its the back again.

If I had a chance tonight to speak face to face with Willie it would be something like this...

Please do us a favor Willie, listen to what the wise words were of Corey Dillon just a week ago. He saw the time was now here to retire and decided before he got too beat up to enjoy time with his family and before inner problems with his body were to accumulate as he got older, he decided it was time to hang it up, very wise indeed, he did not want to follow the likes of players like Joe Montana and now Brett Farve who had nothing more to prove of how great a player they are, it is in stone.

If you continue to play with recurring back problems you may endure painful years ahead with arthritis and other ailments so its best to leave the game now while you can still stand strong.

You have proven to fans in New England and all over the world of what a great player you have been in the NFL and were a MAJOR reason why our defense was good enough to hoist 3 Super Bowl Championships and now you can show your kids what a great full time father you can be now, you have nothing further to prove to us Patriots fans,the fans in Cleveland or anywhere on earth.

Please tell Romeo you have had enough and want to get cut or released and come back to New England and sign a contract for a 1-day 'graduation' and retire a Patriot - You can wear that brown jersey right now but you will always be a New England Patriot in our eyes and in the eyes of many a fan.

I speak for just about every Patriot fan who would absolutely love to see you once more wear the red, blue and silver...If for just 1 more day.

http://www.timesreporter.com/index.php?ID=71131

I couldn't agree more.
I wish Willy the best.
A true staple of the dynasty.

Willie is the man!

A true Patriot forever.

Not to forget the dominating force he was in the red and gold in Southern Cali

Not to forget the dominating force he was in the red and gold in Southern Cali

Yes. I remember reading stories about how he and Tony Boselli would go at it in practice, and the other players on the team would just stop what they were doing and watch them.

Awesome guy!!!!!!

I agree..it was stated clearly concisely and..well I think it said it all.

I know there have been some guys in the past that went to different teams for a bit more money and we said - f-them who cares about them anymore.

I truly don't feel there is any Patriots fan or former player of his that can say anything but the fact that they love him..for the man he is and the player he was..truly unforgettable.

I saw him on NFL network a few days ago as a commentator and thought he did real well and looked good,maybe an NFL network job is in line for him when he does retire,Would be a MUCH improved guy to have compared to that idiot Marshall Faulk.

Nice post, I'd hate to see the man put himself through physical torment for what is likely to be an emotionally excruciating season in Cleveland. And I agree with others, no way did I begrudge Willie that last big payday.

Probably cannot happen, but would love to seem him come back somehow and retire as a Patriot.. not sure if he will ever make it to the NFL Hall in Canton, or even the one in Foxboro.. there will be too many coming eligible in Foxboro at the same time.

for those of you who know me, you know i idolize the guy
i hope he can put together a couple of productive yrs
i always hoped for him to get to 100 sacks, but it doesnt look like that will happen

honestly i dont see him retiring yet
and part of me would almost die to see that day
his rookie yr was the first yr i became a die-hard pats fan, and the nfl without him would just be weird for me

Last edited:
did we ever find out what the deal between him and Izzo was in the bronco playoff game?

Agreed.

Maybe football needs more of what's happening in the NBA now -- guys who take off a year or two to heal up and then take a long look at coming back. I'd think that would make even more sense in football than in basketball.

And by the way -- I wouldn't be totally shocked if Dillon came back to the league after a year off.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/trainingcamp07/news/story?id=2967876

Starter Willie McGinest on Thursday afternoon underwent surgery in Los Angeles to repair a bulging disk in his back, and Crennel said the 13-year veteran will be sidelined for at least six weeks. McGinest's backup, six-year pro Matt Stewart, will miss the entire 2007 season with a torn shoulder labrum.

The loss of McGinest, whose recovery will be re-evaluated after six weeks, is an especially critical one for the Cleveland defense. Although he notched just four sacks in 2006, his first season with the Browns after signing as a free agent, McGinest, 35, is still one of the team's best outside pass rush threats. Given his age and the problems often inherent with such back surgeries, McGinest, who has 82 career sacks and who won three Super Bowl titles in New England, could be sidelined longer than six weeks.

I wish Willie McGinest all the best also one of my favorite players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes