PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Deandre Hopkins = Anquan Boldin 2.0?

VJCPatriot

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Hopkins only ran a 4.57 40 at the combine. This time will likely keep him in the 2nd round. Doesn't his time remind you of Boldin who was doubted alot because he ran a 4.7. And yet he turned into one of the most productive receivers in the NFL. Especially notable for his physical ability and consistent production.

Boldin Combine (4.71 40!)
Anquan Boldin - WR - Florida State - 2003 NFL Combine Results

Hopkins Combine (4.57 40)
Former Clemson stars DeAndre Hopkins and Andre Ellington post poor 40-yard dash times at NFL Combine – The Post and Courier

Hopkins Comparisons (Compared to Sidney Rice)
DeAndre Hopkins NFL Draft 2013: Pro Potential Projections | Bleacher Report

Hopkins vs Patterson
DeAndre Hopkins vs Cordarrelle Patterson « Seahawks Draft Blog

It's going to be interesting. I think Patterson goes top 15, well out of the Pats reach. But Hopkins will be around late 1st to mid 2nd. He offers physicality and great route running. Those are attributes that Brady generally likes. And as we see with Boldin, the 40 time isn't everything if you are real physical, have good route running, and can go up and get the ball.

While I do see some similarities between Hopkins and Boldin, if we must make comparisons I would say Hopkins is more like Roddy White and Da'Rick Rogers will be more like Boldin.

I think these are my two favorites in the draft along with Wheaton.

Patterson is raw but a physical specimen with Tavon Austin like cuts. He already can be that gadget guy who you scheme to get the ball because he just may take it to the house and eventually, he CAN be a dominant force outside. His potential is through the roof. He has prototypical size and is more dynamic with the ball in his hands than CJ, Fitzy, AJ,Green,etc. Hes a nightmare in the second level with his blend of size, speed, strength and moves. Top 10 pick on upside alone. There are some concerns with only 1 year of production at D1 level but it was one monstrous year.

Hunter will be gone before us because of his prototypical size, speed, vertical, hands. Can provide a team with that go up and get it element. Lots of potential.

Hopkins may or may not be gone. I think Miami, St. Louis, Houston and Seattle will all take WRs and he would, for sure, be in my top 4.

Would take looks at a lot of these receivers in all rounds looking at BPA. Definitely some value in late rounders as well.

While I do see some similarities between Hopkins and Boldin, if we must make comparisons I would say Hopkins is more like Roddy White and Da'Rick Rogers will be more like Boldin.

I think these are my two favorites in the draft along with Wheaton.

Patterson is raw but a physical specimen with Tavon Austin like cuts. He already can be that gadget guy who you scheme to get the ball because he just may take it to the house and eventually, he CAN be a dominant force outside. His potential is through the roof. He has prototypical size and is more dynamic with the ball in his hands than CJ, Fitzy, AJ,Green,etc. Hes a nightmare in the second level with his blend of size, speed, strength and moves. Top 10 pick on upside alone. There are some concerns with only 1 year of production at D1 level but it was one monstrous year.

Hunter will be gone before us because of his prototypical size, speed, vertical, hands. Can provide a team with that go up and get it element. Lots of potential.

Hopkins may or may not be gone. I think Miami, St. Louis, Houston and Seattle will all take WRs and he would, for sure, be in my top 4.

Would take looks at a lot of these receivers in all rounds looking at BPA. Definitely some value in late rounders as well.

Bingo, Da'Rick Rogers definitely reminds me of Anquan Boldin, though not AS thick, but taller. But definitely a tough physical possession receiver with some deep ball skills, ala Boldin.

really hoping Patriots get this guy. Hopkins is the most complete WR in this draft and will be a rock-solid starting WR in this league.

Just taken by the Texans

really hoping Patriots get this guy. Hopkins is the most complete WR in this draft and will be a rock-solid starting WR in this league.

jinxed it. all for a trade down now, otherwise Alec Ogletree or Sylvester Williams.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back