PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Deandre Carter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let's assume Edelman PUP to give Carter a better chance.

#1 Hogan
#2 Mitchell
#3 Amendola (all should be locks. Particularly the first 2 but Amendola should make it too pretty easily)

#4 Martin (I put him in his own separate category of likelihood ad he is hard to cut due to what is invested and he decent level of play last year)

#5 Dobson/Lucien/Carter/Washington/Harper. All have a shot but i put them in that order for now. Other things can change it. Washington's standing in particular can improve depending on Mitchell.

Carter has some monster workout numbers. Don't know if there's room for him on the roster, but I'd love to see him on the practice squad. Too many receivers this year that I like. Kinda wish we didn't pay Hogan all that money, honestly.

Height: 5084
Weight: 185
40 Yrd Dash: 4.44
20 Yrd Dash: 2.53
10 Yrd Dash: 1.45
225 Lb. Bench Reps: 17
Vertical Jump: 38 1/2
Broad Jump: 10'06"
20 Yrd Shuttle: 3.80
3-Cone Drill: 6.64

Quick and explosive. Great 10 yard split, insane agility numbers, and excellent jumping marks. Could be a stud . . . or may never make it in the NFL. We'll see.

Harper isn't quite a board favorite anymore ever since he lost us the 1 seed/Super Bowl repeat.
Think he's just another preseason superstar like Tyms and Childress before him. Nothing special.

Carter has some monster workout numbers. Don't know if there's room for him on the roster, but I'd love to see him on the practice squad. Too many receivers this year that I like. Kinda wish we didn't pay Hogan all that money, honestly.

Height: 5084
Weight: 185
40 Yrd Dash: 4.44
20 Yrd Dash: 2.53
10 Yrd Dash: 1.45
225 Lb. Bench Reps: 17
Vertical Jump: 38 1/2
Broad Jump: 10'06"
20 Yrd Shuttle: 3.80
3-Cone Drill: 6.64

Quick and explosive. Great 10 yard split, insane agility numbers, and excellent jumping marks. Could be a stud . . . or may never make it in the NFL. We'll see.
Steve Smith loves this kid would hate to cut the next Steve Smith prematurely.
Would love to have that Steve Smith Desean Jackson kind of threat on the field.
He had one game where he had 16 catches I think it was like eastern Illinois or something like that but who cares 16 catches and over 260 yards.
In a game where he was the only viable threat he dominated now imagine him being the 5th receiver sometimes only drawing a linebacker or the teams worst DB he only needs to make a few impact plays to be a difference maker on this offense.

Think he's just another preseason superstar like Tyms and Childress before him. Nothing special.

Childress was before my hardcore analytical fan days, so I can't say anything about him. But Harper didn't even show huge flashes in meaningless games like Tyms. He reminds me more of Buddy Farnham/TJ Moe in that people here just decided he would be good, he's shown absolutely nothing, but for some reason people still think he's good.

Don't understand the love for Harper either. He gets no seperation and when you have to catch with people near you its good to have great hands or the ball is going to get tipped and intercepted. I don't think he catches the ball all that well.

Harper isn't quite a board favorite anymore ever since he lost us the 1 seed/Super Bowl repeat.

Seriously, all you people who blame something on one freaking play need to watch every single game carefully. It's the same ******** nonsense with the Brady/Welker non catch. There were other plays we could have made that we didn't! That's not the sole reason we lost.

That being said, hopefully competition is so good Harper spends another year on the PS as a reserve before maybe emerging as something.

Seriously, all you people who blame something on one freaking play need to watch every single game carefully. It's the same ******** nonsense with the Brady/Welker non catch. There were other plays we could have made that we didn't! That's not the sole reason we lost.

That being said, hopefully competition is so good Harper spends another year on the PS as a reserve before maybe emerging as something.

I mean, of course he wasn't the sole reason. We blew a 14 point fourth quarter lead and then lost some easy games at the end of the regular season, then Ghost missed an extra point that would have sent the AFCCG to overtime. But I don't think you wanted to understand what I meant.

I mean, of course he wasn't the sole reason. We blew a 14 point fourth quarter lead and then lost some easy games at the end of the regular season, then Ghost missed an extra point that would have sent the AFCCG to overtime. But I don't think you wanted to understand what I meant.

You're right. You were just saying that's what happened on this board. Correct?

I guess I just needed to vent about the people who talk about those single plays like it was the only reason.

Heres the thing your Deandre Carters your Chris Harpers come in to a professional program on equal footing as highly touted draft picks.
Sometimes something clicks together maybe its as simple as better coaching and a light comes on.
Maybe its just being given a oppurtunity to show they can do a job that they never had a chance to show in college.
Maybe they just need to get stronger in the weight room.
Other times its taking the oppurtunity more seriously.
Once you pay these athletes all of a sudden the extra film study, practicing, cutting down or out partying all can make a division 2 level player the next Marqus Colston or Malcolm Butler.
Other times in Bradys case its a chip on their shoulder that drives them slipping out of the draft.
My point is its not always black and white with these players they are Humans not chess pieces and sometimes results vary due to many variables.
For instance one player Rex Ryan can motivate to run thru a wall for him another thinks hes a joke and doesnt like his coaching style.
Their are many ingredients into a NFL player recipe.
Gamebreaking speed and velcro hands certainly help but they are not a given on the flip side the player who can barely create seperation and dropped many balls in school could turn it around and succeed find his niche and unlock his true potential.
That is why building the team is my absolute favorite part of pro sports.

You're right. You were just saying that's what happened on this board. Correct?

I guess I just needed to vent about the people who talk about those single plays like it was the only reason.

Yeah, I think that topic needs to be vented about. I probably shouldn't go around spouting the exact **** I disagree with to make a rhetorical point...

Mitchell is a lock to make the team and Lucien could be a keeper also. Either way the competition is going to be very intense and fun to watch.

Wide receiver battle at TC is going to be very intense this year. I am honestly starting to think Amendola might not make this team.

Outside of a serious injury or something, there is no way Amendola doesn't make the team with his restructured contract.. Now his hit against the cap vs his production makes him a high value, veteran player

Last edited:
Just think this kid has a HUGE uphill battle. Best case scenario IMO, is the practice squad. I think Edelman, Hogan, Amendola, Mitchell, Martin & Washington would be the front runners. I think it would be tough for him to beat out Dobson (if Dobson is healthy and productive). So Dobson is really fighting Martin & Washington for the 6th slot. I even think Harper is ahead of Carter (whom the Pats cut once before)

So I'd think Carter is fighting Lucien for the 8th slot. So many things would have to fall in place for Carter to even get a sniff at the 53 man roster. A GREAT camp, Edelman and Amendola starting the season on the PUP list, bad camps and/or injuries to his competition. All that would have to happen.

His chances really declined after the signings of Hogan and Washington and the drafting of Mitchell & Lucien. I like the kid's measurables, pretty damned explosive, but I think he has no shot to make this team. All 7 guys ahead of him are just better players/prospects.

I think a lot of people are sleeping on Martin, I really like what he brings to the table. Reminds me of a bigger Deion Branch. Let's see what he does with a year in the Pat's offense.

You all love your shiny toys who have never and probably never will do anything in this league, but don't forget that Nate Washington has caught 50+ balls a year for the last decade and averages many more yards per catch than anyone else on the team.

You all love your shiny toys who have never and probably never will do anything in this league, but don't forget that Nate Washington has caught 50+ balls a year for the last decade and averages many more yards per catch than anyone else on the team.

Yup, he's averaged 3 catches a game for a 15 year average per catch since he came to TENN. And , yet, no one else was interested in him.

In any case, he is competing with Martin for the 5th spot. They might both make it if someone is not available for the first few games.

It is truly impressive that this is the competition for the #5 WR, with all these likely on the outside looking in: Dobson, Lucien, Harper and Carter. In order be in the top 5, someone would need to beat out the rest, AND beat out Martin and Washington.

@dougkyed
Patriots player who didn't get enough pub for having a nice set of offseason practices: WR DeAndre Carter. WR is very, very crowded, though.

I'll be curious to see what this kid can do next month in camp.

Last edited:
It won't be Carter's measureables that allow him to make the team. It would be his ability to pick up the playbook and run the proper routes. Hopefully, he's able to spend a year on the PS and show some progress.

looks like I have to become a "super analytic" to hang around here talking Pats football from now on...jeezus krist, some of the narcissistic bullshyt that passes for information these days....

By that logic maybe you'd want your QB to be a guy who has thrown 30+ TDs a season for nine out of the past ten years, and won a Super Bowl in the other year? But despite that, Peyton Manning might not be the best choice... :)

In other words, Nate Washington has taken a lot of wear and tear. Does he still have enough left to even be competitive? And if he is, would you rather have a veteran on the downside of his career or a youngster whose arc is still going up?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes