PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Dean Pees

Status
Not open for further replies.
Josh just used the un-stoppable Brady, ball control offense.
Orton out- Bradied Brady yesterday.
The Giants proved the only way to stop it was with constant blitzing.

For some reason, Pees just doesn't like to blitz,which I think is his major failing.

Missed tackles are just the result of going for the big hit / interception / ball strip, instead of the sure arm tackle.

At least the " prevent defense ", isn't giving up 50 yard plays, like it was the past couple of years. But it sure does prevent the defense from getting off the field.

Of course the offense didn't help in the second half, they couldn't stay on the field.

I'm not sure what to make of Pees at this point. I think this is still mostly BB's defense, but it sure doesn't look like the 2003-2004 version.

Did you notice the timeout BB called early in the 1st quarter when we were getting gashed by the McDaniels version of the wildcat? BB called the whole defense over, talked to them about some adjustment, and they completely shut down that formation for the rest of the game. BB is obviously completely keyed in on what we're doing defensively.

The other interesting thing about the timeout and sideline huddle was Pees was nowhere in sight. He seems invisible, especially compared to someone like Romeo who was always in some players face between series talking about something that needed to be fixed.

I think this defense has more speed and aggressiveness than last year's version, certainly, but too many times it seems our DBs are on an island vs the top receivers of the opponents, and leave easy completions for them. Why do other teams seem to be able to shutdown Randy Moss, yet we can't seem to stop a guy like Brandon Marshall?

We get occasional pressure on the QB, but yesterday we let a very average QB have all day to throw, and he was highly successful dinking and dunking his team down the field, all game. I think that was a flawed gameplan, personally. But who is ultimately responsible for it, BB or Pees? At this point it's hard to know for sure.

Sorry, but I dont believe yesterdays D was a terrible game plan. I tihnk Denver did a nice job taking what we gave them, but you have to give them something.
For all the talk of Orton 'lighting us up' we allowed 17 points in regulation, and they needed a couple of shaky penalties and some very strange bounces to do so.
We gave them the short pass. It took them a ton of plays to drive the length of the field in small chunks. Had we made the FG, or brady connected on one other pass, we allow 17, and it is the epitome of bend but dont break D.
What I woud have done differently was to change the calls after they became comfortable with what we were giving them, but it seemed like we did and the corners were just a beat too slow breaking up the plays.
I know that a gameplan that allows over 400 yards wasnt good in retrospect but I can understand the approach, and don't see tremendous fault in it.
I think that when you hold a team to 17 or under, you are supposed to win. Problem is the Denver D did just as well keeping us off the board.

This game plan was soooooooooo frustrating it was unreal. Orton has never shown the ability to stretch the field with deep throws & tends to struggle under pressure so what do we do?? Play 10 yards off the recievers in a soft zone ALL DAY with almost no blitzing.

Yes the offense lost us the game but this D got shredded by a denver offense that has been horrible all year! I finally thought our D had turned a corner in the Baltimore game by deciding to bring pressure & make the QB beat us to win. Sitting in a soft zone all friggin game is not going to cut it against the good O's in this league. If we play D against Indy like we did against Denver we are going to get blown the F out.

Deen Pees has to be the most unimaginative coach in the league.

this goes back to the same debate we had whether BB has any say on what is happening on the field or he just lets the coords do what they want for the game. My 2 cents-BB hears every call and he can really walk up to pees and say we need to do this just like he is coaching with the whiteboard on the sidelines. So pees may suck but BB is also involved in what is happening on the field.

this goes back to the same debate we had whether BB has any say on what is happening on the field or he just lets the coords do what they want for the game. My 2 cents-BB hears every call and he can really walk up to pees and say we need to do this just like he is coaching with the whiteboard on the sidelines. So pees may suck but BB is also involved in what is happening on the field.

That is the baffling part ! If BB wants to replace he will have some decent options like Romeo, Wade Phillips (very soon I guess, based on SI.com ). So as usual other than speculating and pulling whatever hair is left out, we have no clue :)

Last edited:
Sorry, but I dont believe yesterdays D was a terrible game plan.

Come on! Orton hasnt ever shown the ability to go deep with accuracy but has always been the type of QB that is good at managing the ball & moving the offense with short accurate throws. The Pats gameplan played right into the strength of the Denver offense. Our corners are actually good this year why waste them by playing soft zone when their QB struggles with anything deeper than a 10 yard out!

I thought the Baltimore gameplan would of been perfect against Denver, bring pressure & play tight coverage if the QB beats you with a great throw so be it. Instead we make Orton look like the second coming of Joe Montana by sitting in passive soft zone & letting him shred us for 300 yards!

Re: The Offical we want Dean Pees to resign thread

My choice to blame is the offense and the offensive coordinator.

Why is it always one or the other? The Broncos D was giving up an average of 6 points a game. Its a good defense. The Broncos have a lot of great skill players on offense, it is a good offense. The Patriots offense played well for only one half, the Patriots defense played well for only one half. All that considered, its no surprise they lost the game.

Come on! Orton hasnt ever shown the ability to go deep with accuracy but has always been the type of QB that is good at managing the ball & moving the offense with short accurate throws. The Pats gameplan played right into the strength of the Denver offense. Our corners are actually good this year why waste them by playing soft zone when their QB struggles with anything deeper than a 10 yard out!

I thought the Baltimore gameplan would of been perfect against Denver, bring pressure & play tight coverage if the QB beats you with a great throw so be it. Instead we make Orton look like the second coming of Joe Montana by sitting in passive soft zone & letting him shred us for 300 yards!

What good is it to blitz against a dink and dunk offense? We didnt get pressure on Orton, because he got rid of the ball quickly, not because we didnt rush.
We played a defense that kept the play in front of them and made them go the length of the field in small chunks. More than halfway through the 4th quarter that had added up to 10 points and in regulation it was 17, and those were aided by a couple of poor penalty calls and a few bizarre bounces.
If you give me a game plan that says the other team will be driving in the last 4 minutes of the game to get to 17 points, I will take it. I don't really care what the stats look like.
Part of playing defense is choosing what you allow them to take, because you can't take away everything. Without the Meriwhether penalty, or one other bizarre play, if Orton throws for 350 yards and we win 17-10, or if the game went just as it did and Brady hits Welker and we win 24-17, Pees would have had a great game plan.

How are we supposed to get ANY interceptions when we play 20 yards off receivers?

The Seymour trade continues to be brought up as an excuse. I don't recall many people thinking we were going to have a great pass rush during the preseason. So what does it matter that Sey is gone. I honestly don't think they would have a pile of sacks, or pressures right now, just because of him. Besides, anyone who thinks Wright isnt doing a decent job, is nuts.

Part of my problem with the Seymour trade is that we were already bad enough. Why weaken the only facet of our defense that is pretty good? Wilfork is being sextuple teamed out there; Seymour would either attract some of that attention or collapse the pocket.

Wright is doing a decent job, but Wright isn't the guy replacing Seymour. Jarvis Green is (or isn't).

My problem isn't as much about the Seymour trade specifically as much as Belichick's sending good, usable talent packing and replacing them with nobodies. Samuel, Branch, and now Seymour left, and it killed us the season afterward (Seymour still pending). We aren't always going to be able to replace these guys just because our coach is smarter.

Sorry, but I dont believe yesterdays D was a terrible game plan.

Yesterday's defensive gameplan was the worst I have seen out of the Pats in a long time.

We're playing McDaniels, who we KNOW is going to run a Brady-like offense.

Any Pat fan -- EVEN MY WIFE -- knows that the only way to beat Brady is to blitz him and get pressure on him. The giants did it. The Jets did it. Buffalo did it.

That is how you beat a McDaniels/Brady offense.

Instead, we play and plan the complete opposite.... it was ridiculously... no, STUPIDLY flawed plan. Frankly, I'm embarrassed for BB this week.

What good is it to blitz against a dink and dunk offense? .

You play your CBs tight and make the Orton hold the ball and wait for the receivers to get open. You then blitz to put pressure on Orton to make the throw before his receivers get open.

Sitting back and giving their receivers a 10 yard cushion was just asking for it especially since we couldn't put pressure on our DLs.

First off, im not a Pees fan, and would prefer Romeo. However, you cant blame all of this on Pees,.... :D

I agree.....last time I checked, it wasn't Pees out there missing tackles?

Is it just me or did no one else notice how many missed tackles there were yesterday? Guys at this level shouldn't need "coached" on how to tackle on someone. They looked like a bunch pop warner kids out there missing the most basic of tackles.

You play your CBs tight and make the Orton hold the ball and wait for the receivers to get open. You then blitz to put pressure on Orton to make the throw before his receivers get open.

Sitting back and giving their receivers a 10 yard cushion was just asking for it especially since we couldn't put pressure on our DLs.

So the right way to defeat a team that scores 17 points in 4 quarters dinking and dunking is to expose yourself to giving up big plays?
That would be another type of gameplan, but not one I see as any better.

Yesterday's defensive gameplan was the worst I have seen out of the Pats in a long time.

We're playing McDaniels, who we KNOW is going to run a Brady-like offense.

Any Pat fan -- EVEN MY WIFE -- knows that the only way to beat Brady is to blitz him and get pressure on him. The giants did it. The Jets did it. Buffalo did it.

That is how you beat a McDaniels/Brady offense.

Instead, we play and plan the complete opposite.... it was ridiculously... no, STUPIDLY flawed plan. Frankly, I'm embarrassed for BB this week.
And everyone has been so successful beating Brady that its embarassing to not be able to do so? I guess we won't win any more then, because you have the answer.
If you think the offense McDaniel called yesterday is the same one he called with Brady in 2007, you should cancel the Suday Ticket and go leaf watching.

How are we supposed to get ANY interceptions when we play 20 yards off receivers?
We had 2 excellent chances yesterday with the ball in the air, and didnt catch it.

You can't blame Pees for that pass in the corner of the end zone late in the game that Shawn Springs certainly could have had the INT on,He was draped over his receiver and the ball was lazily thown by Orton in a place where Springs could have had it.

Last edited:
Normally I have defended Peas but this has to be his last year, a good coordinator can make a world of difference. Look at Mike Nolan in Denver, etc.

Hey what about Romeo Crennel? Remember him? The D-Coordinator who helped us win 3 SB's? He's out of a job and we need a better defensive guy. So why not him?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back