PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Dean Pees

Status
Not open for further replies.
Their secondary is full of competent players—not superstars, but very good at what they do. They can't get interceptions when they're tied down ten yards away from their marks.

Completely agree with the OP.

This lame-ass conservative defense BS is ridiculous. Our opponents need 3rd and 13? They'll get it.

They need to get 10 yards to get into field goal range? They'll get it.

They always get it.

Whenever there's an important stop required, our lame defense just stands back and lets them get whatever they need. I knew the second we lost the coin toss that we had lost the game.

Pees is hopeless. Our defense has sucked since the day Crennel left. Pees learns nothing and shouldn't be with our team.

I really hope BB sees this too.

I think we need a APB on Adalius Thoms, and Derrick Burgess.

This thread is way short sighted. We have a top 10 defense in the league. We have dealt with the loss of Seymour, Bruschi, Vrabel, Seau, Harrison and a retooled secondary. The defense is not the problem.

If we have a problem it's a very predictable offense .. that's the problem right now, hopefully it gets better.

The camera got several good angles on Adalius Thomas today, and let me tell you, he has one fat butt.

This thread is way short sighted. We have a top 10 defense in the league. We have dealt with the loss of Seymour, Bruschi, Vrabel, Seau, Harrison and a retooled secondary. The defense is not the problem.
That is what I'm saying. The defense itself is beyond excellent. The coordinator is destroying them.

Last edited:
I think we need a APB on Adalius Thoms, and Derrick Burgess.

Can't blame the players. For some reason Pees + BB believe that pressure on the QB isn't that important.... even though almost every loss the Pats have had has been because of INTENSE pressure.

I don't get it. It is so obvious... RIDICULOUSLY obvious that this league requires aggressive, intense defensive pressure to be special. For some reason the Pats refuse to acknowledge this very basic tenet of modern day football.

I'm really at a loss as to why we deny the obvious and play in a manner that is almost guaranteed to fail.

I'm really at a loss as to why we deny the obvious and play in a manner that is almost guaranteed to fail.

Except that this very conservative defense is still 14-7 since the 2008 season started, despite having a slew of injuries last year and playing with a QB who hadn't started since HS, and this year playing with a QB coming back from major reconstructive surgery on his knee.

Last edited:
Except that this very conservative defense is still 14-7 since the 2008 season started.

what I'm worried about is if we keep going this way, it may be 14-28 soon. :(

Ctpatsfan77, since the 04-05 season the Patriots have gone 5-3 in the playoffs with zero Super Bowl victories. I hate crummy adages as well as the next guy, but defense wins championships. And their defense has failed them in tight games since Crennel left.

Except that this very conservative defense is still 14-7 since the 2008 season started, despite having a slew of injuries last year and playing with a QB who hadn't started since HS, and this year playing with a QB coming back from major reconstructive surgery on his knee.

Come on, we have been absolutely STACKED on offense since 2008 started, even without Brady. That's the main problem.... our fantastic offense has masked major flaws in our defense for a long time now.

Now that our offense is quite ordinary those flaws are becoming exposed.

Can't blame the players. For some reason Pees + BB believe that pressure on the QB isn't that important.... even though almost every loss the Pats have had has been because of INTENSE pressure.

I don't get it. It is so obvious... RIDICULOUSLY obvious that this league requires aggressive, intense defensive pressure to be special. For some reason the Pats refuse to acknowledge this very basic tenet of modern day football.

I guess it means they have no faith in corner backs...

I am glad people are ripping Pees. He deserves it. He needs to be fired and we need to hire someone that has some guts. Our defensive players are very good and athletic, I bet Leigh Bodden is frustrated sitting back in coverage with the skills he possesses.

If Buffalo had 20 seconds more in that game, we DEFINITELY lose that game or they get a FG attempt. Clayton dropped a pass and saved our lives in the Baltimore gm. And we give up a 99yd touchdown drive to Kyle freakin Orton who looked like Joe Montana today.

Rip me if you want, but we need a new direction with these talented players who are wasting what has gotten them to the NFL. Brady even hinted at his hate for his defense before halftime by running the clock down to 5 seconds and hitting Watson for the TD.

Excuse me, I'm a raging fan boy.

But why the flying f*** wasn't Dean Pees fired the day after he was hired?

I swear, he doesn't learn a single f***ing thing. The one time the Patriots blitz, they absolutely choke the offense. That blitz at the end of the fourth carried them into OT.

So Pees reacts by blitzing once (twice?) on that 80-yard OT drive. He CONTINUES to play 10 yards off the receivers.

Bend-but-don't-break defense sucks. It's for bad defenses. This defense is not bad. It also isn't bend-but-don't-break. Playing 10 yards off on 90% of plays isn't even a defensive philosophy. It's just a load of defeatist ****. The Pats have so much talent, and Dean F***ing Pees throws it out the window. Almost lost us the Bills and Ravens games. Did lose us this one. What the hell is wrong with him?

He needs to be fired. Now.

As for O'Brien . . .

*grabs flameproof vest*

WHY ARE YOU BLAMING PEES?

He get's his marching orders from BILL BELICHICK!
It is BILL's defense. It is Bill's strategy! NOT PEES.l

I said it after game 2 and I'll say it again. You cannot rush only 3 or 4 guys the entire game and expect to win in the NFL. You tie the D's hands and at some piont you may cause the players to lose faith in your scheme.

I just don't understand why he's such a ******* *****. Is he that goddamn afraid of CBs getting burnt? I can't for the life of me expalin the stupidity in which is his play calling.

I fully understand the offense, Brady inparticular lost this game.

But Kyle ******* Orton just went Peyton Manning on us. Because of our non existent pass rush. The play calling on defense is terrible and I'm sick of it. If you do so well while you blitz, why not do it? God what a frustrating loss. This D has a lot to prove the next few weeks. The fact that Kyle ******* Orton just destroyed us on BACK TO BACK drives is killing me right now.

To all the supporters of this defense, saying it still only gave up 20 points...you can't score more than 20 points when you start drives from your own 2 and take 7 yards per play. You really need to look at the percentage of drives that created points or put them into a position to create points. What was it, 5 drives that fall under that category (4 scores and missed FG) out of 10? Not to mention the fact that this defense allowed the defenders, specifically the DLs, to get EXHAUSTED because they were on the field for 75 plays. To people saying the critics are short-sighted...the fact that they play this defense and let their players get worn out seems short-sighted to me.

Have to agree with most everybody here. We might as well just give the teams we play the ball at our 20 and see if we can hold them to a FG or not. This bend but don't break crap keeps getting broken. I'd rather go balls out and blitz the crap out of teams than just give up 80% of the field. It's like we're in a permanent Prevent Defense, and it is maddening.

All offseason everyone was worried about who was going to passrush. Turns out the answer was "no need to worry, only the DL is going after the QB".

Did anybody else hear when Phil Simms was talking about our bend but don't break safe defense and said "quarterbacks [like Orton] love to play against defenses like that"?

Kyle Orton loves to play against our defense. I'm pretty sure that wasn't the case when we were winning Super Bowls. When did that happen? We have the personelle this year, but still nobody takes us seriously.

Of course they love to play against bend defenses! On 80% of plays, the WRs are WIDE OPEN. On the other 20%, odds are the secondary is so out of sync that the WRs (surprise!) are WIDE OPEN.

Orton is a competent QB, but he is not a very good one. It wouldn't have taken too much to befuddle him. Doing so was key to losing a defensive battle today. Pees failed.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye