PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Dean Pees Q&A, 11/16

Status
Not open for further replies.

Christopher_Price

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
Thanks to the Patriots’ PR staff, here’s the complete transcript of defensive coordinator Dean Pees’ Q&A with the media this morning at Gillette Stadium:Q: Let’s start out with third down defense. The Patriots rank first in the league. What do you attribute that performance on third down to?DP: I think we spend a lot of [...]

More...

Dean Pees said:
I think if I’m not mistaken going into the last game at Indianapolis we had only given up one pass over 30 yards, and that was late in the Washington game. We kind of got a little sloppy. And then we gave up that big one there at Indianapolis. Prior to that we had not given up, like I said, only that one in the Washington game over 30 yards, whereas a year ago I think we had given up somewhere between 12 and 14 of them. That’s a reflection on all of those guys back there doing a better job of not giving up big plays, and that really is the key to pass-defense.

Bend but don't break is back! Now if we could just work on that red zone D.

I'm glad you posted this. I spaced and missed it.

I was kind of hoping to read something more encouraging about Meriweather. I'm really anxious to see him play, but it sounds like he's still not ready. I hope he doesn't turn out to be a "never ready" kind of player. I don't think so. It's way too early to tell, obviously. I was just hoping to see an instant impact because I'm that kind of fan, I guess.

I was kind of hoping to read something more encouraging about Meriweather. I'm really anxious to see him play, but it sounds like he's still not ready. I hope he doesn't turn out to be a "never ready" kind of player. I don't think so. It's way too early to tell, obviously. I was just hoping to see an instant impact because I'm that kind of fan, I guess.
Nothing disappointing about it to me. Not being ready now has no bearing to me on his long term ability or upside.

Nothing disappointing about it to me. Not being ready now has no bearing to me on his long term ability or upside.

I agree. Most 1st round picks have to play significant time because they were drafted into a need spot. They are thrown in and asked to sink or swim. Meriweather actually had some flashes early (Rodney on suspension) and now he has had some time to improve based on those experiences. The wildcard is that it looks like R.Baker has stepped up in practice and has earned some time on the field. Again, I don't see having players force their way onto the field is a bad thing or a reflection on others.

Meriweather is supremely talented and if he can apply those talents into the Pats system, he should be a beast. The positive thing I've noticed is that he is busting it on the return teams...blocking and tackling. That suggests to me a positive attitude and not a malcontent.

If anything it seemed like Peas thinks Meriweather is improving, and they seem perfectly happy with letting him learn the system before throwing him in the fire. I really can't see how what Peas said about Meriweather could be seen as "dissapointing".

Last edited:
Nice to see the talk about 3rd down efficiency and how the Pats D is excelling on such downs.

One of the best indicators of a teams quality is to look at their 3rd down efficiency rating on either side of the ball.

So if we tease a meaning out of Pees' evasive answer about AD, is it that
he's not as good at pass defense as Rodney?
and thus his major role here is going to be stopping the run?

What about all the "played every position" fanfare,
including man coverage (albeit terminal chucking) on Ocho Cinco?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes