PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Dean Pees on Ellis Hobbs

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do agree that Hobbs is a quality corner. I don't think that makes him GREAT. He is fine for this point in his career, at least as far ahead as Samuel at the same time in his career.

Yes, it would be a fine idea to extend Hobbs with 2 years left on his contract. I would think that the re-signing of Gay and Chad Scott are top priorities for the offseason, after making decisions on any roster bonus payments.

I am uncomfortable with having only three corners. I would like a better group than Hobbs, Gay, Scott and Richardson. I would think that Round 2-4 might even bring us TWO rookies. This is a fine draft for corners. The value will definitely be there.

With all this being said, Samuel will be missed. In your scenario, we will be replacing Samuel with Chad Scott. Or alternatively, we will replace Samuel with Hobbs, Hobbs with Gay, and Gay with Chad Scott. This is not a step toward improving the position. We carry 9-11 defensive backs. We actually need three corners and three safeties. Perhaps, we can afford to develop a couple of rookie corners.

I think Hobbs is great. I dont buy the negativity at all.

Up until last year, Asante was consistently cruicified on this board as a nickleback who we forced into service after losing Ty Law. Now, suddenly, he's the brightest star in the NFL and Hobbs is trash. Fans are fickle. Commentators are idiots. I'm glad to see Pees stepping up with this type of commentary.

As it turns out, Hobbs has asserted himself as a starter much earlier in his career than Asante did, and provides a level of leadership in the secondary that Asante never has. Of the two, I'd spend more effort trying to find ways to keep Hobbs on the team.

I'll also say that Randall Gay is a completely underappreciated corner for this team, and may be one of the best tackling CBs that we've ever had. I'm 100% fine if our CBs next year are Hobbs, Gay and Chad Scott. A rookie would be nice but, even without that, the talent is there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back