Welcome to PatsFans.com

Dean Pees faring better this year than Mangini last year with the D?

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by PATRIOT64, Oct 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PATRIOT64

PATRIOT64 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

I think Pees is doing a good job,Not great but then again most of our secondary won't have to worry about heading to Hawaii come February but still I think he is making good progress with what players he has,although the defensive front would be good with any DC-there are at least 3 potential Pro Bowlers there - Comparing him to Mangini at this same time last year I would say he has done just as well or maybe a bit better - We still have not given more than 17 points away in any game-That is a sign of an overall disciplined defensive unit,not to mention BB has some say in D matters as well.

2. mtbykr

mtbykr PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

#37 Jersey

I agree. For some reason (which i can't figure out) I just feel more comfortable and confident this year with out D. Last year I was on edge a lot and I always thought about Mangini and what he might screw up. This year has felt more like the days of RAC when i didn't think about our DC, but knew he was doing the right thing!

3. SoonerPatriot

SoonerPatriot In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Intersting point. At the half today I was a little concerned. Then I thought, our D will play well in the second half. There was a quiet confidence there. Sure enough, we shut their asses out.

4. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +814 / 26 / -33

I think our D is playing real well, the strength being the D line and its rotation, lots of hurries, some tipped balls and a few sacks.. gotta remember how we started last year and who we played, we had that horrendous run of Raiders, Panthers, Steelers, Chargers, Falcons, Broncos, Bye, Bills and Colts.. we were 4 an 4 after this run. Some said that was one of the toughest stretches of all time.. point being it is tough to compare.. After this our D picked it up and we went 6 and 2.

It is a tough comparison, but I do agree Pees is playing to these guys strengths more than Mangini did.

5. BradyManny

BradyManny Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +320 / 4 / -1

So far the D is certainly improved this season. It's vintage Pats D we've come to expect over the past 5 years, we might give up yardage, but we stop them from scoring and we make big plays - the latter of which the D didn't do last season.

6. MrBigglesWorth

MrBigglesWorth Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0

I totally disagree. Pees is doing a good job, but keep in mind the schedule the Pats to begin the season last year. They had duanes starkes starting. Rodney was gone and they plugged in a new strong sfatey every week. Bruschi was out. Seymour was out a portion. How can you develop consistency with so many injuries? How soon we forget the injuries of last year. If anything the Pats have been fortunate on their health.

7. JoeSixPat

JoeSixPat Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +178 / 2 / -3

All things being equal - and they're not - I do think Pees is doing a better job than Mangini did last year.

Manigini had a tougher schedule and faced tougher injuries... but his ability to adapt on the fly was in serious question. His schemes were too conservative - which looked smart initially given the injuries - but ultimately was ineffective.

Only when the defensive players asserted themselves with Mangini (or maybe BB) and asked him to take off their reigns did the defense turn the corner.

So tough to tell -apples and oranges given injuries and schedule, but I think I like Pees as a DC better than Mangini

...and that being said I think Mangini's doing a pretty good job as HC... I'm shocked they have as many wins as they do

8. mtbykr

mtbykr PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

#37 Jersey

Good point, i forgot about the D going to mangini or BB and asserting themselves. Mabey that's the feeling that i got last year, where the players didn't have faith in Mangini.....where they seem to this year in DP. This could also be why Mangini went a little crazy in training camp this year; to show he's the boss,ect... and not repeat what happened last year!

9. jefmblrd

jefmblrd Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +40 / 1 / -0

#50 Jersey

It's tough to make a comparison given the variables, but I was never comfortable with Mangini running the defense. I can't say why, on either side, but I do feel more comfortable with Pees running things. I get the sense that BB is as well.

10. DarMan

DarMan On the Game Day Roster

Ratings:
    +6 / 1 / -0

#95 Jersey

I think Pees is doing a good job and the defense seems to be playing more aggressively that last year under Mangini. That being said, Mangini was handicapped with the likes of Beisel, Chad Brown and Starks starting at the beginning of the year.

11. MrTibbs

MrTibbs Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

The Patriots havent given up more then 17 points in a game as of yet. If you ask me thats quite a feat...........The defense is looking pretty good. I still wish we had a better cover corner though.

12. lobster

lobster On the Game Day Roster

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Pee's could be better than both Mangini and Romeo.

13. PromisedLand

PromisedLand Virtual Internet Person

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Pees is doing a good job, but he also has Jr. instead of Monty and Chad.

14. jczxohn1

jczxohn1 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Also, BB was coaching the front 7 after the break last year. Really not fair to judge the first half of the season last yr, due to all the injuries. IMO, Mangini got an "Incomplete" last yr. He owes BB and the healthy return of the starters (including Hobbs) a lot.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.