PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Deadspin:Patriots Brandon Meriweather Allegedly involved in shooting of two men

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Deadspin:patriots Safety Brandon Meriweather Allegedly Guns Down Two Men During B

Like I said earlier, do you think anyone knew about it on the 28th? If any media knew that Brandon Meriweather was being investigated for a shooting that injured two people on Feb. 28th, they would have reported it.

Police don't release all information immediately after it happens, especially open investigations. And they also don't always name a suspect in a case unless an arrest is just around the corner.

My feeling is that the lawyer is opening his mouth, same as Marvin Harrison's lawyer did three years ago, because they don't want the case to be swept under the rug and of course, $$$$$$$$$$!

Thats probably true. I just know in Nashville, if a Titans player is even within a mile of a nightclub fight, its reported on the news. A player involved shooting would never be kept quiet in this town.

Re: Deadspin:patriots Safety Brandon Meriweather Allegedly Guns Down Two Men During B

Really makes you wonder how someone with so much potential at life could actually possibly be half this pathetically stupid.

I couldn't imagine what it would feel like to never have money issues, to provide lifelong security for my family, to have such popularity and fame, to never 'really' have to worry about too much--then idiots like this just take it for granted, and piss it away in a heartbeat. Sorry, but it makes me sick.

Sure hope there's still a chance it's not true.

Thats probably true. I just know in Nashville, if a Titans player is even within a mile of a nightclub fight, its reported on the news. A player involved shooting would never be kept quiet in this town.

You certainly have a valid point. I guess we will find out soon enough:(

You certainly have a valid point. I guess we will find out soon enough:(

nobody has ever accused me of having a valid point. lol. Hopefully this was just self defense or something, but with our luck, probably not. Either way, I wish our players could stay out of the news for just 1 season.

I do find it weird that the internet is blowing up with videos of Tommy dancing with his ponytail, and yet this is the first time i've heard that one of our players shot two people. :confused: I suppose tomorrow it'll be bigger news

But how often does a story like this stay under wraps for over a week without any details? Even in Miami, I would think two people getting shot by an NFL player at a nightclub/party would have drawn some attention in the first 24 hours.

There are several reasons why we haven't heard of anything until now.

First, not all police departments are forthcoming to the media, especially in small towns. This wasn't Miami, this is a small town outside Orlando. There is no big paper there and the closest big paper, the Orlando Sentinel, is not planted in that town. They may have dug deeper if they had any idea that an NFL player was involved in a shooting that injured two people.

Also, if this happened at the night club, I could agree. We may have seen reports about a night club shooting. But this wasn't in a club. There was a fight at a club involving someone else and the shooting happened later, outside a house party.

And for all we know, only the victims saw the shooter, and are just now telling police who it was after conferring with their lawyer. Victims don't always come forward right away.

Anyway, my feeling is that Brandon was there and was on the side of the guys who did the shooting. I doubt the victims and the lawyer would just say Brandon Meriweather if he was not in the area. Whether or not he actually fired, who knows. However, with our luck, I wouldn't doubt if this goes full blast tomorrow. Seems like this kind of stuff only blows over for other teams.

Here's the closest I can come to corroborating this story:

2 Shot, Show Up At Apopka Hospital - Orlando News Story - WESH Orlando

And, note:

17th Street in Apopka, FL, according to Google Maps, is more than a mile from the location cited by Deadspin. Also, the victims were brought to the hospital "by private cars."

One other thing, BTW: remember that there is currently an embargo on roster moves, so the Pats can't cut him ATM even if they want to.

I was about to say, I wouldn't doubt it if these guys were driven to the hospital, didn't name Brandon as a shooter and were uncooperative. If I were Brandon and if he really did shoot at these guys, I'd start writing some checks because that is ultimately what the victims are looking for.

These guys could have just as easily gone for street justice, but chose the other route.

On a positive note, I hear Brandon McGowan is feeling better. :(

Seriously, if worse comes to worse, safety is a position where we seem to have some flexibility.

he went to the U of Miami right?

not surprised

he went to the U of Miami right?

not surprised

Sure did.

Strange things down there, they produce lots of talent, and lots of thugs. Weird.

On a positive note, I hear Brandon McGowan is feeling better. :(

Seriously, if worse comes to worse, safety is a position where we seem to have some flexibility.

Yeah, except is doesn't appear as though he will be back, at least not with the signing of Barrett, and okay play of Sergio Brown. McGowan (who I really like) is an UFA.

I hope he's back, but a lot of the preliminary reports I have read from AFC East chats/Reiss' chats etc, don't think it's looking too good.

We still have Page tendered at a 2nd rd level, the emergence of Chung, James Sanders, Sergio Brown, and Josh Barrett--before going any further down the list.

EDIT: I suppose that I should not speculate one way or another as to whether he'll be back, but if I personally had to guess I'd say no. This Merriweather news, however could change that though.

Last edited:

I thought he would be traded come draft time. If these reports are true, his trade value sunk completely.

:eek:

I'm not sure I believe this.....yet. If it's true it's very disappointing that we will be losing a talented player (no matter how much you think he sucks, he's a talented player) and that someone is completely throwing their life away over some house party bs.

One more time.....:eek:

Ya know -- on reading that news report, it's not clear anybody is alleging Meriweather did something criminal. The allegations are:

1. A friend of Meriweather's did something criminal.
2. In retaliation, somebody else committed assault and battery on the friend.
3. Meriweather acted in defense of his friend.

Oh, I imagine best case for him is a one-game suspension for obviously not having spent enough time practicing at Matt Light's shooting range. But he may not really be guilty of anything more than being an immature punk with bad taste in friends.

Ya know -- on reading that news report, it's not clear anybody is alleging Meriweather did something criminal. The allegations are:

1. A friend of Meriweather's did something criminal.
2. In retaliation, somebody else committed assault and battery on the friend.
3. Meriweather acted in defense of his friend.

Oh, I imagine best case for him is a one-game suspension for obviously not having spent enough time practicing at Matt Light's shooting range. But he may not really be guilty of anything more than being an immature punk with bad taste in friends.

That's very true, I think when he was in college he was let off for self defense....possibly the same thing this time? We can only hope.

Okay, the story gets a little weirder.... Apparently IT'S SOMETHING THAT OCCURRED ON FEB. 27 and is only now being reported.

And........... the story is coming from the victims’ attorney. It may have happened, but something seems a little odd about this one.

reminds me of marvin harrison, but brandon's known to be a ****tier person already

What the?? Is this real? :eek:

What the?? Is this real? :eek:

Unfortunately, it seems that it indeed is.

Terrible shame for all angles involved. Cue the negative media attn again:(

Last edited:

Okay, the story gets a little weirder.... Apparently IT'S SOMETHING THAT OCCURRED ON FEB. 27 and is only now being reported.

And........... the story is coming from the victims’ attorney. It may have happened, but something seems a little odd about this one.

To be honest, we've known that the whole time (the Feb.27th date), or at least since the story broke several hrs ago.

Apparently, the victims are not cooperating w/ the authorities, and refuse to 'press charges.' (not that they need to in this serious of a case, the state will be more than happy to pursue it) This is why we haven't heard anything until now.

With that explained, it seems a little strange that their lawyer would come out and comment on it, if they have already refused to give the authorities/DA's office any information. In other words, I expect an arrest sooner than later, whether they 'cooperate' or not.

If you go back through the thread, ctpatsfan77 was kind and resourceful enough to post a link from the local Florida newspaper--before anyone realized that it was an NFL player. The article explains what happened a little better, and goes into detail how the guys shot refuse to name anyone--although apparently they don't need to b/c their lawyer already did!!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back