Welcome to PatsFans.com

Dead $$$

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by TheSolderKing, Jul 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheSolderKing

TheSolderKing In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

could somebody plz break it down for myself and others. How much do the JETS and other teams benefit?

1. PATS get #1 taken from Roger
    2. Roger saves dead Cap space by saving 5.9 million from gholston deal I think the total $$$ saved is 8.6

I use tp think Roger was fair, but clearly he wants to see his team win in playoffs and make it to the SB, which is clear favoritism. Jets cut players in 2010 who would count against the cap in 2011-2012. Sounds fishy.

We had a far better draft and our QB is actually a Franchise QB. One could argue that our 3rd stringer Ryan Mallet is more of a Franchise QB than Mark S. Ironic :) Mallett gets to learn from the best

2. charlie2

charlie2 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Where did you read this? I haven't seen anything about it.

3. patriot lifer

patriot lifer 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +74 / 0 / -1

#87 Jersey

There some stuff about it on the Jets' boards. They're quoting something that was agreed upon between the players and owners. One of them posts a link, but you have to be a member to see the link (and have so many posts). Plus they're referencing some Jets blogs. I don't know how credible any of it is. But if it's true, then it was agreed upon between the NFLPA and NFL--not just the crafty work of a nefarious commissioner.

The Cap...realistic numbers - Page 2 - TheGangGreen.com Message Board

4. MoLewisrocks

MoLewisrocks PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0

It seems to benefit a limited number of teams (maybe 10 or so) possibly including the Raiders (Nnamdi and a few others whose deals voided), as well as the JETS who cut players after the season but before the CBA expired who had dead cap hits that normally could have crippled a cap. But then, we can't have a crippled cap with the league committed to spend 99% in cash, I guess...

The slimy feel of the deal is there were likely lots of other teams who will be cutting guys this week they would likely have parted with months ago had they known there would be this exception to the rule...only all along the league had told teams the cap would be back and the rules would remain and the uncapped year was not an opportunity to dump bad deals. Guess the rationale changed to the old deal expired and the new deal is a new deal... Not sure if this means all remaining dead cap ended with it or just players cut in the previous year. We didn't have much dead cap to begin with.

5. malenurse2010

malenurse2010 On the Roster

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

TBC, Kaczur, and Sanders would all be gone and the Pats would be sitting with 17 mil plus of real cap room along with the 6.5 of possible cap reduction shenanigans. This is complete horse****. All this praise to Kraft for making the deal happen, he completely screwed his own team in the end, what an utter fool.
    Why couldn't they just have had a 48 hr window after the lockout for all teams. MoLR is right though, even though this hasn't been reported its financially impossible for NFL teams to spend 99% real money across the league without helping these teams cheat. I don't know why the players union didn't encourage a window for players getting released and not having the "real money" of bonus' carry over to the cap, it would only further benefit players by getting them more straight cash from getting another deal with a signing bonus.

6. PatsWickedPissah

PatsWickedPissah PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +2,869 / 26 / -17

Disable Jersey

Because this wasn't a deal just to help the players. It was a redistribution of cap savings wealth to the favored political class...e.g. the commissioner's Jets.

So, just how did the Jets KNOW to cut those players early when they did?
    Another "leak" from Goodell's office, like with Spygate?

7. MoLewisrocks

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0

Kraft had no way of knowing last March whether this BS would make the final draft. And perhaps BB has no intention of cutting those guys. Like I said, we aren't in cap trouble and we only have a million or so in dead cap. Kraft likely went along with whatever the vocal minority needed to get for the good of getting a deal done. He's a consiliator. And he's nobody's fool. Kneejerk fans who rail against him are the utter fools at the end of the day.

8. BlueThunder

BlueThunder PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +110 / 0 / -3

#24 Jersey

Who you callin a kneejerk fool?

The truth is the teams that sucked at drafting and signing players get to do more sucking.......

Lets hope they restructure Sanchez for another 7 years....;)

9. TheSolderKing

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

and when will we extend GRONK and Hernandez??? This new 4yr n done FA crap is complete BS

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 26, 2011
  10. TheSolderKing

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Mo gets angry when he she gets sand in her private place :eek:

she lashes out frequently. Is it that time of the month Mo?:confused:

sHe thinks she is Bruce Springsteen, but she ain't no BOSS :p

Last edited: Jul 26, 2011
  11. MoLewisrocks

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0

When will you come to grips with the fact that for these two that was already the deal. The only length of deal changes in the new CBA effect the players in the first round. I imagine we will attempt to extend them in 2013 if we are happy with their performance at that juncture.

12. Shelterdog

Shelterdog Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

All true.

Also, as nice as it would be to screw our rivals a little, Kraft is concerned with putting together a 10 year deal that works for 32 different owners and 1900 players governing an industry that will do more than a hundred billion dollars of business in that period. Giving the Jets $9 million in extra cap space for one year just isn't a big deal.`

13. Rob0729

Rob0729 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +4,000 / 42 / -15

I doubt Goodell snuck this provision in to benefit the Jets. There are other teams that benefit from this rule. Woody Johnson could have championed this, but I doubt the rest of the owners would have allowed this in if it was a Jets-specific rule.

Although I think it is a BS rule, I can see the argument for it. 2010 was an uncapped year and you could argue that a team could have the option to obsorb all the dead money that year for terminated players. Don't agree with it, but I can see the argument.

14. MoLewisrocks

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0

You could, except for the fact that at the time they were pretty clear that would not be the case. There were all sorts of rules to keep teams from doing restructures on existing contracts to take advantage of the uncapped year.

15. Rob0729

Rob0729 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +4,000 / 42 / -15

Other than the 30% rule, I can't think of a rule remotely close to this issue and that issue doesn't even apply. I don't know/can't remember all the rules in place in the uncapped year though.

16. PATSNUTme

PATSNUTme Paranoid Homer Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +394 / 3 / -1

#75 Jersey

Personal attacks is what gets food fights going on the board, of the unprovoked type. Then peoples feelings get hurt and complaints are filed and then actions have to be taken.

So, I hope that you enjoy viewing the rest of the thread.

17. Doggin94it

Doggin94it Practice Squad Player

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

FYI, Jason and others (the guy behind NYJetscap) were discussing this option before the 2010 season, particularly with respect to Gholston (because his deal was structured with guaranteed dollars, not a signing bonus). The old CBA provided that signing bonus proration would not accelerate into the uncapped year (meaning that signing bonus proration amounts for cut players should still be on the cap this season, if not for a separate deal), but did not make any such provision for money guaranteed in future years of the contract. The rule in the old CBA for future guaranteed money is that the player is paid the net present value of those future guarantees at the time he was cut. Since that also applied to the uncapped year, when the Jets cut Gholston during the uncapped league year they paid him his guaranteed money and were left (under the terms of the old CBA) with no cap hit for him in 2011.

Not sure if it was the same for Jenkins (can't remember his contract structure) but I'm pretty sure Gholston's contract was set up the way it was specifically to allow that maneuver

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.