Welcome to PatsFans.com

Dead

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Harry Boy, Dec 19, 2007.

1. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +346 / 1 / -9

Boston:
    An old time politician, many of you probably never heard of him and LIBERALS HATED HIM, he died yesterday.

Albert "DAPPER" O'Neil.

Google Him----------Dapper O'Neil

:bricks:
  2. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +169 / 4 / -4

When I first moved to Boston in 1982, I was incredibly in love with the city and felt so happy to be in this liberal, beautiful city that is the pride of American history. The first time I went to vote I didn't know anything about Dapper, but with a name like Dapper, being from Boston, and having the same last name as the great Tip O'Neill, he had to be a good man. He got my vote! That's the first and last time I voted for him.
  3. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +346 / 1 / -9

Good story Patters, he affected liberals like that, but he did go overboard at times.

One of his favorite lines was,
    "lousy do-gooder socilast liberal bastards"

Tip O'Neil lived not far from you up in North Cambridge, he came down to our old corner in Cambridgeport (Brookline & Putnam Ave) many times to eat lunch when he worked in City Hall, I have been to a few partys that he attened, he used get up and sing "Apple Blossom Time" that was his wifes favorite song.
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2007
  4. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

Dapper was a fun guy to have a beer with. He was also a piece of sh-t lying racist fu-k who will rot in hell for what he did and said in public, never mind the garbage he said in private. My grandfather, an arch conservative and patriot, told me he once beat the crap out of him in a bar in Somerville because he insulted his friend, who was black. Seems Dappah spent a lot of time getting his arse kicked in his youth because he was such a loud-mouth jerk...might explain his angry disposition.
  5. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +169 / 4 / -4

That's a great story. Tip was far more genuine than most Democrats today. All politicians are air-brushed nowadays.
  6. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +346 / 1 / -9

Your Grandfater was right, Dapper had to stop drinking in Central Sq Cambridge because of his mouth when he got drunk, he's one of the last of those old time pols.
  7. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

Of course he was right!
    North Cambridge Irishmen never lie!:eat3: :rofl:
    He was also a good friend of Tip's at the VFW.
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2007
  8. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +346 / 1 / -9

I loved Cambridge I knew every back yard and every back alley in the whole city, still have some old friends there, my wife grew up on Montgomery St in N Camb before she moved into my area (where I swept her off her feet) I delivered Ice and Oil with a Horse & Wagon all over No Camb and Central Sq area, learned how to swim naked off the trestle that runs under the BU Bridge, it was the "Cottage Farm Bridge" then.

A guy by the name of Leo Diehl came from my neighborhood he was in a wheelchair most of his life (polio) he went to work for Tip O'Neil in City Hall and then went on to Washington with him as his personal secretary and stayed with him right up until the end, Leo just passed away recently.

It's a whole new ballgame now.

:bricks:
  9. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

Leo's mentioned a lot in Tip's autobiography, "Mr. Speaker". Not very well written, but a lot of connections to the old 'hood and St John's Parish.
  10. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +346 / 1 / -9

Leo did a lot of favors for my crowd through Tip, I was much younger than Leo but I still have a picture of a lot of us playing baseball in the old Morse School Yard and leo is in his wheelchair behind the batter catching.
  11. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

That's very cool, Harry. I love stories from Cambridge and that era. How different it was right up until the early 80's.