PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Dead Horse Brutality Continues-Troy Brown Fumble

Status
Not open for further replies.

CTPatsFan

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
We've all heard it. It's over, the Pats lost, move on. I have. But I wanted to throw this out to see what you all thought because I didn't think it at the time.

I was listening to Sirius NFL Radio on the way to work this morning while talking on the phone and heard a guy call in who said he was an off-duty cop who was working security and was watching the game with some Steelers (fans, management, players?-I didn't hear what he said). I don't know if he was a Steelers fan or not. He said when Troy fumbled the ball, their reaction was immediately "Fair Catch Interference" because it was exactly the same situation that happened in one of Pitt games this season when it was called.

Bottom line, the damage was already done and Troy should catch that ball no matter what. But given the across the board complaints regarding this past weekend's officiating by everyone (from fans, to players, to analysts, the NFL officiating crew) except Denver and Indy fans, I thought why not keep piling on?!

Was the TBro fumble a case of Fair Catch Interference and yet another missed/blown call by the officials? That wasn't my reaction when I watched it so I wanted to see what anyone else thought.

well

CTPatsFan said:
We've all heard it. It's over, the Pats lost, move on. I have. But I wanted to throw this out to see what you all thought because I didn't think it at the time.

I was listening to Sirius NFL Radio on the way to work this morning while talking on the phone and heard a guy call in who said he was an off-duty cop who was working security and was watching the game with some Steelers (fans, management, players?-I didn't hear what he said). I don't know if he was a Steelers fan or not. He said when Troy fumbled the ball, their reaction was immediately "Fair Catch Interference" because it was exactly the same situation that happened in one of Pitt games this season when it was called.

Bottom line, the damage was already done and Troy should catch that ball no matter what. But given the across the board complaints regarding this past weekend's officiating by everyone (from fans, to players, to analysts, the NFL officiating crew) except Denver and Indy fans, I thought why not keep piling on?!

Was the TBro fumble a case of Fair Catch Interference and yet another missed/blown call by the officials? That wasn't my reaction when I watched it so I wanted to see what anyone else thought.

When it first happened, that's what i was yelling at the TV!!! The ball hit him and bouced up in the air and when he went to re-catch it is when he got hit and lost it. You could have called that penalty, but it would have been close.

catch the d*** ball

CTPatsFan said:

I saw the Steeler game. It was the Steelers vs the Chargers. I don't remember Troys fumble enough to know for sure, but I don't think it was.

If Troy bobbles the ball, and a defender interferes or impedes him, or even catches the deflection before the ball hits the ground, it is fair catch interference. But if noone touches him or the ball before it hits the ground, then it is legit.

I don't remember for sure, but I don't think he was interfered with. I don't think any Broncos touched him, or the ball, or impeded him in any way before the ball hit the ground.Plus, I no longer have the game on my DVR to go back and see.

If anyone does it would be interesting to see.

I didn't catch it the first time either... 'course it could have been because I had my head in the garbage can wretching. Probably get around to watching it again this weekend.

T-ShirtDynasty said:
I didn't catch it the first time either... 'course it could have been because I had my head in the garbage can wretching. Probably get around to watching it again this weekend.

Can you post a picture if you get a chance.

I was so disgusted with the game, I already deleted it from my DVR!

sarge said:
I saw the Steeler game. It was the Steelers vs the Chargers. I don't remember Troys fumble enough to know for sure, but I don't think it was.

If Troy bobbles the ball, and a defender interferes or impedes him, or even catches the deflection before the ball hits the ground, it is fair catch interference. But if noone touches him or the ball before it hits the ground, then it is legit.

I don't remember for sure, but I don't think he was interfered with. I don't think any Broncos touched him, or the ball, or impeded him in any way before the ball hit the ground.Plus, I no longer have the game on my DVR to go back and see.

If anyone does it would be interesting to see.

sarge, i do agree with your interpretation of the rule as I believe it to be the correct interpretation. I still do have the game so I will have to check it out.

There is also the question of the 5 yard 'halo' to make the catch,

stoopit

mtbykr said:
When it first happened, that's what i was yelling at the TV!!! The ball hit him and bouced up in the air and when he went to re-catch it is when he got hit and lost it. You could have called that penalty, but it would have been close.

The gist of the phone call was that DEN didn't give him enough room to catch the ball. The 3 yard cushion that he was supposed to have. I've hardly ever seen it called so that's why I wanted to see others' interpretation.

Last edited:
He was def. interfered with. I saw it clearly on the replay. He tries to catch the ball, it bounces up a little bit, he scoots over to try to bring it back to his body, and it is at this point that a Bronco hits him, hard enough that it moves Troy and he can't make the catch.

To me, it looked exactly like what happened with Sproles. Though maybe that was different bc I believe the guy caught the ball immediatley after it bounced off Sproles chest, not sure.

There could be a rule to the effect that if the players has a reasonable amount of time to catch the ball or something, dunno.

But to echo other statements, you've a 13 yr vet. The reason youre back there is so you don't **** up fielding a punt.

sarge said:
Can you post a picture if you get a chance.

I was so disgusted with the game, I already deleted it from my DVR!

You don't really want to see him retching in the garbage do you? I'm not sure we're ready for that on this board! :eek:

What I've wanted to know is isn't lowering your helmet (spearing with it) illegal? It was the Broncos sole move and caused the first two fumbles for sure.

helmetlower.jpg

Bronco Freak, it was clearly a blown call. There is no question about it because Troy called for a fair catch, he or the ball cannot be touched until the ball hits the ground.

It does not change what happened, only pointing out the facts. Adding to the evidence that the officiating over the weekend was pathetic considering it was suppose to the be the 4 best crews in the NFL.

wrong part of the dead horse to beat IMO...if you want to beat up on something, beat up on the Special Teams coaching call that initially had no one back in order to signal an all-out rush and then had Troy running madly back to circle awkwardly under the ball before he tried to catch it, which is probably why it bounced away to start with...

PS: BTW, "catch the D*&N ball" applies mainly to receivers...in some cases, punt returners should just "get the H*&L out of the way," which, in 20-20 retrospect, is clearly what Brown should have done

Michael said:
What I've wanted to know is isn't lowering your helmet (spearing with it) illegal? It was the Broncos sole move and caused the first two fumbles for sure.

helmetlower.jpg

Thats just called tackling.

Do you have a pick of the TB fumble?

hughthehand said:
Bronco Freak, it was clearly a blown call. There is no question about it because Troy called for a fair catch, he or the ball cannot be touched until the ball hits the ground.

I gotta see a replay then, because from how I remember, the ball comes, he bobbles it, it falls out of his arms, then there is a mad scramble for the ball. I don't remember seeing him get hit at all, certainly not to CAUSE the fumble.

I'm openminded though, show me different.

As far as that crew, they stole a game from us also, calling phantom pass interference calls on third and forever vs the Giants, it cost us the game.

They have an agenda, not to throw games, but to make big calls, and take over the spotlight. You've been Tripletted.

Bronco Freak said:
bwaa ha a haaaa

You people are unreal.

I'm not saying its why we lost the game, I'm just saying he was interfered with and was (not surprisingly) missed by that crew.

Either way, as others just said, more blame is to be laid on the coaching staff who didn't have a guy sufficiently back there, and then more blame is on Troy for simply not getting out of the way.

Bronco Freak said:
As far as that crew, they stole a game from us also, calling phantom pass interference calls on third and forever vs the Giants, it cost us the game.

They have an agenda, not to throw games, but to make big calls, and take over the spotlight. You've been Tripletted.

It was the same crew?

Wow.

For the record, my recollection of that fumble was also that the ball hit the ground and then the mad scramble began.

I do not remember the ball, or TB being touched by a defender prior to the ball hitting the ground.

Can anyone going by something other then memory confirm this?

well

if that is how the rule is written, then it was def a penalty. Troy called the fair catch, teh ball hit him and bouned up and to the left. he then went to try to re-catch it and when the ball hit him---so did the bronco's guy. so if that is the rule, then it should have been a penalty. just another in the long list of mistakes they made :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes