Welcome to PatsFans.com

Dead Certain: the autobiography of our simplistic ex-president

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Patters, Nov 27, 2010.

1. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +387 / 15 / -14

This is a good article if you don't want to read Bush's autobiography.

The Presidential memoirs of George W. Bush, review : The New Yorker

On the policy of torturing captured Al Qaeda suspects, Bush writes that he refused to approve two techniques requested by the Central Intelligence Agency but gave the O.K. to waterboarding. George Tenet, the C.I.A. director, asked permission to use waterboarding on Khalid Sheikh Mohammed, the operational mastermind behind September 11th. “I thought about my meeting with Danny Pearl’s widow, who was pregnant with his son when he was murdered,” Bush writes. (Pearl, the Wall Street Journal reporter, was reportedly beheaded by K.S.M.) “I thought about the 2,973 people stolen from their families by al Qaeda on 9/11. And I thought about my duty to protect the country from another act of terror. ‘Damn right,’ I said.”

2. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,441 / 34 / -28

#87 Jersey

Myself I would have used the Weller soldering iron to the genitals to get info.

3. shirtsleeve

shirtsleeve In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

fixed your post.

It baffles me the hate from the left for the guy. He was the biggest social engineer since LBJ. Installed a huge beurocracy with the no child left behind program and then hammered us with medicaid part B. or is it D? I dunno, that plague is like hepatitis. So many varients and they are all poison.

4. scout

scout Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -2

#15 Jersey

The only thing he had in common with LBJ, was they were both exaggerated their military records. Yea, Bush was a real Godsend to the poor and middle class.

5. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +695 / 7 / -2

Wow, the guy had some water poured down his face. Pretty harsh stuff compared to what David Pearl got.

I've got no issues with waterboarding someone like KSM. None what so ever. There is definately a line for me when it comes to interogation methods, but this specific case wasn't anywhere near it.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2010
  6. shirtsleeve

shirtsleeve In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

No, the biggest thing they had in common was expanding the Federal government's role in education and healthcare to unheard of levels, and trampling states rights. Well, that was at least until last year.:bricks:

7. Titus Pullo

Titus Pullo Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -1

I'm sorry, you're way off base in pretending George Bush should have appealed to the left. He was also that lethal combination of arrogant and stupid, and put pre-emptive war at the forefront of foreign policy, based on zero factual evidence. He also privatized gains, socialized losses, and paved the way for the greatest corporate book-hiding in U.S. history. Sorry, but that doesn't reconcile with the core beliefs of real Americans, both left OR (supposedly) right.

Good try. Do better.

8. reflexblue

reflexblue PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +243 / 6 / -4

#91 Jersey

Fixed your post even better. I mean if your going to torture someone why stop at a piddly soldering iron.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2010
  9. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +695 / 7 / -2

Why you angry old evil white man you. :p

10. PATSNUTme

PATSNUTme Paranoid Homer Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +269 / 2 / -1

#75 Jersey

OK,so what's the problem?

Last edited: Nov 30, 2010
  11. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +387 / 15 / -14

The article points out how shallow the presidents reasoning is. To make a major decision like that based almost solely on emotional issues is superficial. Bush lacked the ability to reason. Even if you were going to use torture, you might ask What's the best torture? What are the consequences? What is the evidence that it will work? What will be the reaction from our enemies? Will it put our troops at greater risk? And so on. What the review seems to say is that Bush just sort of made decisions off the cuff. No wonder we're still cleaning up his mess.

12. PATSNUTme

PATSNUTme Paranoid Homer Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +269 / 2 / -1

#75 Jersey

Perhaps he did not consider our method of water boarding torture? Our Navy Seal go through that in training. We don't torture our own troops.

He rejected 2 other methods that shows he was thinking. He never went to law school, like most Dem politicians, but had a degree from Yale and an MBA from Harvard. So not quite the dummie that the left wants to paint him.

I have disagreed with him on several issues. He stayed with Rumsfeld way too long in Iraq, for example. But on the water boarding issue I think it was fine.