PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

DE Ray Edwards released by the Falcons

Status
Not open for further replies.

PATRIOTSFANINPA

Pro Bowl Player
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
The guy had a couple great years with nearly 30 sacks in 5 years with the Vikings just a few years ago and is still young at 27

Don't know much more about this player except he as been a dissapointment for the Falcons.

Any interest to add him to the roster?

Last edited:
The guy had a couple great years with nearly 30 sacks in 5 years with the Vikings just a few years ago and is still young at 27

Don't know much more about this player except he as been a dissapointment for the Falcons.

Any interest to add him to the roster?

Is he back on the juice?

I'm all for adding pass rushers. He could be very handy in a NASCAR package if there's no funny business going on.

he ant notting without Jared Allen on the other side

Look obviously a real legitimate pass rusher across from jones will be welcome... but there seems to be more than meets the eye to this cut.

I am sure BB will do his due diligence and you never know... Edwards and Talib could be just what this team needs?

Even at his peak I never thought much of Edwards as a pass rusher. Belichick should take a look at him, but I don't know if he has enough to help us at this point.

Ninkovich has what 5 sacks now across from Jones.

Do you really think Edwards is going to do better? Especially as a mid-season pickup who doesn't know the defense.

Ninko is no star but he's one of the most underappreciated players on the team

Ninko is no star but he's one of the most underappreciated players on the team

Ninkovich is often compared to Mike Vrabel, I'm sure because (1) he plays a similar position (OLB/rush DE), (2) he wears #50, and (3) he's white. But ok, let's compare.

Vrabel's career stats with New England:

Year (age) - sacks, forced fumbles
2001 (26) - 3.0, 0
2002 (27) - 4.5, 0
2003 (28) - 9.5, 4
2004 (29) - 5.5, 0
2005 (30) - 4.5, 1
2006 (31) - 4.5, 3
2007 (32) - 12.5, 4
2008 (33) - 4.0, 1

Rob Ninkovich's career stats with New England:

Year (age) - sacks, forced fumbles
2009 (25) - 1.0, 0
2010 (26) - 4.0, 1
2011 (27) - 6.5, 1
2012 (28) - 5.0, 4

His age 28 season is looking remarkably similar to Vrabel's age 28 season. He was more productive than Vrabel was at ages 26 and 27. He's quietly become a pretty productive player for the Patriots.

Ninkovich has what 5 sacks now across from Jones.

Do you really think Edwards is going to do better?

It's already been tried, and the answer then was no. :)

Ray Edwards was a highly recruited prospect who made a big splash early in his college career at Purdue. Yet he didn't keep his momentum, and by his senior year found himself platooning with a guy who was picked up off the juco scrap heap. By the second half of the season, Mr. Scrap Heap, Rob Ninkovich, had beaten him out for the starting job.

Interesting to see the same trajectories now in the NFL. I'm happy to stick with the guy who keeps improving.

They should just take a chance and sign him tbh. They need all the help they can get on the defensive side of the ball

They should just take a chance and sign him tbh. They need all the help they can get on the defensive side of the ball

As has been stated though, he would then be cutting directly into Ninkovich's reps, not to mention the fact that Ninkovich continues to improve as he finds comfort in knowing his responsibilities.

Signing Edwards in-season with zero knowledge of the defense would not be prudent at this time unless we had a desperate need due to injuries.

The problems on the defensive side of the ball are in the secondary and interior pass rush/depth. I wouldn't honestly see how a signing like Edwards could improve upon those needs.

Niñko has a knack for making the timely play. Smart opportunistic player!

I would not mind Ninko being spelled now and again. He is getting plenty of reps. One of the biggest problems the Pats d-line has is that it cannot run what has become very common throughout the NFL...rotating in the D-line to keep guys as fresh pass rushers. Even if a guy can take a single series off the edge for the other edge rushers it could really pay off in Ninko staying fresh and being more effective down the stretch of games.

I am a bit amazed that folks are not recognizing that there is hardly any substituting going on in the Pats d-line when you compare it to what teams that are trying to maintain a consistent pass rush effort throughout an entire game are doing.

That said, they don't need problems and distractions. If the guy can do something though for a short period of time it might really help them out.

Ninkovich may have started out slow, but he's certainly picked it up. He's had a sack in each of the last three games, one of which ended the Jets-Pats game. He does what a pass rusher is meant to do, and that's get after the QB when it's needed most.

I think all of you Pats fans not calling him a legit pass rusher opposite Jones need to thank him for what he's done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes