PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

DE/OLB Dan Bazuin, Central Michigan

Status
Not open for further replies.

rookBoston

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
In my ongoing quest to find LBs that can actually play for BB, here's another early candidate.

I watched Central Michigan get overwhelmed by Michigan earlier this season, and Bazuin was a one man defensive front. While all his linemates were getting knocked backwards, Bazuin was regularly bulldozing his man into the backfield and applying pressure on Henne.

Now, Central Michigan is no powerhouse, but Bazuin was head and shoulders the best player on his defensive unit. He seemed to play with strength and technique, and I came away impressed.

6'2 267, he's built like a Vrabel (listed at 6'4 261). If he has the ability to play in space a la Willie McGinest, the footspeed and instincts to take a TE in coverage to go with his pass rush, he might be worth a closer look on Day One.

Anyone know anything about Bazuin?

rookBoston said:
In my ongoing quest to find LBs that can actually play for BB, here's another early candidate.

I watched Central Michigan get overwhelmed by Michigan earlier this season, and Bazuin was a one man defensive front. While all his linemates were getting knocked backwards, Bazuin was regularly bulldozing his man into the backfield and applying pressure on Henne.

Now, Central Michigan is no powerhouse, but Bazuin was head and shoulders the best player on his defensive unit. He seemed to play with strength and technique, and I came away impressed.

6'2 267, he's built like a Vrabel (listed at 6'4 261). If he has the ability to play in space a la Willie McGinest, the footspeed and instincts to take a TE in coverage to go with his pass rush, he might be worth a closer look on Day One.

I watched him play against BC. 1 sack. Decent pressure other times. I know it was said he was Def. player of the year in the MAC last year and that he was on every NFL scout's radar....

The other guy they kept talking about was the LT Staley who had converted from TE last year but had played RT in 2 years ago.

Making the switch from DE to OLB

I've seen some publications that think Quentin Moses of UGA could do it. (6'5" 255-260) I only saw pieces of the UGA-SC game and SC had a freshman LOT out there. Really hard to tell from that. I'm not really of fan of Moses' game. Maybe I just need to see more.

Didn't Houston take a guy names Babin in the first round from CM a couple of years ago????? I think he had a terrible transition to OLB.

However I like the other OLB HGouston had, Peek. I think he could prosper in our system.

Regardless, I think the Pats need to address that hybird position with something better than a 7th rounder or an UDFA. And fairly quickly.

rookBoston said:

I watched that game too. And, kept an eye on Bazuin. I noticed they
tried to keep him away from Jake Long. Michigan's stud LT. As you
mentioned, he was their best player. We'll have to see how he develops
and what he does at the combine. I'm anxious to see how much 4-3
we play this year. If we do, a more conventional de could be in order.
Like Kiawanuka from BC. Another olb who has stepped up this year
is Woodley from Michigan. He looks like he has the acceleration necessary
to get to the qb. On a down note, PSU has moved Pozluzny to olb in
their new scheme. He hasn't been the same player this year.
Not sure if because of that or the knee he injured in the Orange Bowl.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes