PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

DE/OLB Cliff Avril...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seneschal2

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
In addition to being interviewed at the Combine, and having a private workout, he'll now be visiting with the Pats -- so there's certainly some Pats interest being shown. He's been mentioned often in this forum, but never really considered as a serious option, after Gholston, Groves, and so on...

One question consistently raised regarding all DE/OLBs, is the issue of playing in space. Avril has experience at OLB, prior to moving to DE -- so that issue may be negated. There is a concern about him having the strength to hold up vs OTs. This is a worthy subject to debate.

Curious as to the thoughts here, and should we list him as one who indeed fits the Pats profile. Obviously, if the Pats pass on the earlier ranked DE/OLBs (tweeners), it's wise to have others to consider.

At the Combine, listed as 6027 253. Timed at 4.51, with an excellent 6.90 3-cone.

Ranked in everyone's top 100. Considered a solid second round pick.

Feedback appreciated...and here's the visit article:

Avril, who also has visited Buffalo and Detroit and has plans to visit New England, Atlanta and Tennessee.

I believe I've seen Sebman here and BOR on Planet refer to him as a potential ILB conversion. I'd love to hear Sebman elaborate on that.

I believe I've seen Sebman here and BOR on Planet refer to him as a potential ILB conversion. I'd love to hear Sebman elaborate on that.

I don't think that's a very good idea. He has the size for it, no doubt, but putting him inside really doesn't take advantage of his agility. Put Avril on the edge, and defenses can't say if he's rushing the passer, or covering the RB in the flat or short zone. In other words, Avril shows a lot of the same skill set as Adalius Thomas. You can play him inside, but you're minimizing one of the dimensions that makes him so valuable.

Last edited:
Personally I rank Avril ahead of Groves. Avril has an elite motor. Both would be fine additions.

I've said he could possibly project to ILB, and has the coverage ability for the position, but he's more of an OLB.

The last two times I brought up Avril at ILB:

(This coming in response to Dryheat's projection of Chris Long at ILB)
I also think the following players have a more realistic chance of shifting to ILB:

Cliff Avril Purdue
Stanford Keglar Purdue
Bryan Kehl BYU
Titus Brown Mississippi St.
Casper Brinkley South Carolina

(in response to jeffbiologist's questions concerning Harvey's ability to play ILB)
I can't see Harvey playing ILB, at all.

He might transition to the elephant role in NE's 34, but I can't see him making that (34 ILB) transition.

Some college DE's who could possibly make the transition:
Jameel McClain (He played both DE and LB in college. His game and size seem to make sense, and he recently improved his forty time and VJ at Syracuse's Pro Day.*)
Avril (Maybe, but he's more of an OLB candidate.)
Titus Brown (played MLB to start his career, and then switched over to DE. I see him more as a 34 OLB, but with some work he might be able to make the transition.)

* McClain posted 4.55 and 4.56 forty times, and a 32.5" VJ at his Pro Day.

Now, I will say that I've become somewhat confused as to where dryheat actually stand on Avril, after reading this previous quote:
dryheat said:
I'm not sure they wouldn't take both Avril and Groves. From what I've seen and read, Avril and Keglar look to be the two most promising coverage LBs in the draft. We could definitely use one of them. Must be something in the water on campus.

The fact that he could play both ( and thus adds versatility ) makes him that more valuable. His skills, or our system, could change.

As an outside comment, I think kinda strange that the pats are made up of such unique role players til you get to the LBs...who bring both individual assets and versatility. We make a big deal about LBs because BB pretty much defines his coaching and his defense by them. That said, We have Thomas and Vrabel....if they only could get 2 more of THEM, huh?

I've said he could possibly project to ILB, and has the coverage ability for the position, but he's more of an OLB.

The last two times I brought up Avril at ILB:

(This coming in response to Dryheat's projection of Chris Long at ILB)

(in response to jeffbiologist's questions concerning Harvey's ability to play ILB)

Now, I will say that I've become somewhat confused as to where dryheat actually stand on Avril, after reading this previous quote:

I'm really not sure where the confusion comes from. I'm Pro-Avril, have been the entire time, and I believe I have him ranked as a mid second rounder. And I believe his best position is OLB. I think his floor is as a third down cover linebacker, like an aged Phifer, but I expect much more out of him.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing