PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

DE Haloti Ngata Franchised - Thought with our two 1st round picks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Ngata Franchised - Thought with our 2 1st's

I would not want to give 2 1st round picks to another AFC team that is currently playing pretty well, with 3 straight playoff seasons and a pretty good draft record.....:eek:

I would not want to give 2 1st round picks to another AFC team that is currently playing pretty well, with 3 straight playoff seasons and a pretty good draft record.....:eek:

Better hope they don't strike out trying to draft his replacement. Because Baltimore is not getting the pressure without that guy in the middle. Their CB's are a joke and Reed is getting up there in age. They have some youth on that defense, but they also have some wear and tear. They would need those picks just to stay competitve defensively after Reed and Lewis retire.

And, BTW, given this list, wouldn't Muhammad Wilkerson be a perfect first-round pick? :)

The more i see this list the more i can not believe it has turned out this way for so many years hahahah 2009 was probably the 1st year without an M or W for us to take so they decided to trade down hahah.

BTW for all the people saying that we'd be mortgaging our future trading for Ngata (although i don't think we should do it) we'd still have pick 17 33 and 60 in this draft... we'd just lose 28 and next years 1st (i am pretty sure someone pointed out that this is the case). So in reality we would still be drafting like any other team except it's like we had the number 1 pick and chose Ngata... and paid him that way.

It just an interesting thing to look at because for all of you saying the seymour deal was bad... with this deal you basically have the chance to reverse it with a younger model in ngata. But most of us still wouldn't do it.

The more i see this list the more i can not believe it has turned out this way for so many years hahahah 2009 was probably the 1st year without an M or W for us to take so they decided to trade down hahah.

BTW for all the people saying that we'd be mortgaging our future trading for Ngata (although i don't think we should do it) we'd still have pick 17 33 and 60 in this draft... we'd just lose 28 and next years 1st (i am pretty sure someone pointed out that this is the case). So in reality we would still be drafting like any other team except it's like we had the number 1 pick and chose Ngata... and paid him that way.

It just an interesting thing to look at because for all of you saying the seymour deal was bad... with this deal you basically have the chance to reverse it with a younger model in ngata. But most of us still wouldn't do it.

I would.:)

I would give up 17 and 33, maybe even 17 and 28 for him. Imagine a 3 man front of Ngata and Ty Warren at the end positions, with Vince in the middle. Even I could get pressure from the olb position with those guys commanding so much attention every play.

I would give up 17 and 33, maybe even 17 and 28 for him. Imagine a 3 man front of Ngata and Ty Warren at the end positions, with Vince in the middle. Even I could get pressure from the olb position with those guys commanding so much attention every play.

Why give up both this year? Potentially we could give them 28 this year and our first next year.. Draft another player at 17 this year. trade 33 for a 2nd or 3rd this year and a 1st next year. The possibilitites.

I'd trade Mankins for Ngata. But not two 1sts. Ngata is a beast though, that much is true.

Would people that don't like this trade because draft picks have too much value, have been pleased if the Pats traded Wilfork last year for two #1s?

The Mankins for Ngata has merit. Not sure who command more compensation. Ngata perhaps but I don't think by too much.

The Mankins for Ngata has merit. Not sure who command more compensation. Ngata perhaps but I don't think by too much.

Ravens would be crazy to trade Mankins for Ngata straight up.

Oher,Gaithers and Mankins would be pretty mean up front.

Yeah it does, still dont see it happening though.

Has Ngata's position changed. Isnt he a D.T.. I know the pats play Wilfork at D.E. once in a while but a 350lb D.E. full time? In a 4-3 it would be crazy with those 2 beasts in the middle but in a 3-4 at DE. someone convince me.

The first round pick is the most valuable asset a franchise has. I wouldn't give two firsts for DeMarcus Ware.

I would. You'd still have two 2nd round picks (and the #33 is just one off what the Pats' first round pick would have been had they won the SB) and two 3rd round picks to shore up other areas. DeMarcus Ware is an absolute monster. He's just 28 years old, and here are his sack totals:

2005 - 8.0
2006 - 11.5
2007 - 14.0
2008 - 20.0
2009 - 11.0
2010 - 15.5

Last 3 seasons: average of 15.5 a year. Playing OLB in a 3-4 defense, he'd be a *perfect* fit here.

Good luck finding someone even close to that caliber in the draft, even if you're given two first-round cracks at it.

The first round pick is the most valuable asset a franchise has. I wouldn't give two firsts for DeMarcus Ware. Teams that win are the ones who predate on those who are willing to make deals like this.

Well the cap effectively prevents you from trading a good player with a bunch of time on his contract (the Cowboys aren't trading Ware because they'll have $20 million plus of dead space on their cap in 2012 if they do), and two first round picks are generally more valuable than an expensive superstar, but if you could trade two first round picks for a cost-controlled superstar-a clay Matthews type-you'd be insane not to do it.

I tend to agree that BAL would command more compensation. However, the Ravens have issues at guard so they aren't exactly dealing from a position of strength.

To put this in proper context, no way BAL lets Ngata go. It's just fun to talk about.

Would people that don't like this trade because draft picks have too much value, have been pleased if the Pats traded Wilfork last year for two #1s?

Exactly what i'm talking about. When it's wilfork "no he is to valuable even for 2 1st's he's a game changer" when you get an equal... some outsiders may say even better talent in Ngata. People say no way our 1st round picks are to valuable and your mortgaging our future. We have more than enough amo to do it and still be using our draft picks 17, 33, 60 et al as one of the 1sts would be next year.

Also the second part of the question was is there anyone you would trade 2 1st's for? Anyone in the league Suh? Mathews? Polamalu? i'd like to see if people here think anyone is worth 2 1st's then if Ngata a dominant defensive lineman isn't.

Exactly what i'm talking about. When it's wilfork "no he is to valuable even for 2 1st's he's a game changer" when you get an equal... some outsiders may say even better talent in Ngata. People say no way our 1st round picks are to valuable and your mortgaging our future. We have more than enough amo to do it and still be using our draft picks 17, 33, 60 et al as one of the 1sts would be next year.

IMO Ngata is better than Wilfork.

Also the second part of the question was is there anyone you would trade 2 1st's for? Anyone in the league Suh? Mathews? Polamalu? i'd like to see if people here think anyone is worth 2 1st's then if Ngata a dominant defensive lineman isn't.

Love Polamalu. Not sure hes worth 2 1s

This. Defensive linemen are even harder to find than offensive lineman. Especially a guy like Ngata.

Don't know if the Ravens would trade Ngata even if we offered all of our draft picks. He's a franchise player on defense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back