DE Crick of Nebraska out for year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ochmed Jones

Pro Bowl Player
2021 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
With a torn pectoral muscle.

Nebraska plays a two gap 4-3 defense and although Crick lacks some sand on the pants, I thought he would have been a nice day two pick up for us.

With a torn pectoral muscle.

Nebraska plays a two gap 4-3 defense and although Crick lacks some sand on the pants, I thought he would have been a nice day two pick up for us.

Yeah. He was my fav 34 RDE this yr. I think he might stay at Neb to improve his stock. He didn't look good this yr.

I see him more as a Dallas/Pitt type End.

I'm wondering if we stick with the 4-3 for the foreseeable future. I'm certainly trying to watch more classic 4-3 ends this year.

I'm wondering if we stick with the 4-3 for the foreseeable future. I'm certainly trying to watch more classic 4-3 ends this year.

BB said on the radio (Serius I believe) that because of the lockout and lack of practices he thought rather than concentrate on a base 3-4 and a sub package of 4-3, he rather just a focus on the 4-3. Basically he made it seem this base 4-3 is a stop gap and we should be seeing more 3-4 as the year progresses and definitely in the offseason.

Bottom line: Continue to look for 3-4 personal in the draft

BB said on the radio (Serius I believe) that because of the lockout and lack of practices he thought rather than concentrate on a base 3-4 and a sub package of 4-3, he rather just a focus on the 4-3. Basically he made it seem this base 4-3 is a stop gap and we should be seeing more 3-4 as the year progresses and definitely in the offseason.

Bottom line: Continue to look for 3-4 personal in the draft

If BB told me in February that it was cold outside I'd go out and check, wouldnt take him at his word on anything concerning football if it could potentially put him at a disadvantage.

If he plans on returning to a 3-4 I wonder if that means we go after Mario Williams as an OLB, no one else seems to have the size he apparently covets for that position.

Depends. Cause Dallas used to run a 2 gap 34 w. Parcells and then switched to a 34 1 gap D w. Wade.
Now the Wade 34 1gap is different from the Pitt, Baltimore, Jets, and Fins 1 gap D. B/c they, sometimes run a 2 gap on run downs (so their D line-3man-hold up blockers).
Wade 1 gap is a pure 1 gap 34. Their D line don't hold up blockers. Houston runs a pure 1 gap 34.

I don't see Crick as a 1 gap 34. JJ Watt was a perfect fit for a Wade 1 gap. Crick 2 gaps at Neb. Now, I think Pats fans should know that players like Richard Seymour is a once in a generation RDE.

Depends. Cause Dallas used to run a 2 gap 34 w. Parcells and then switched to a 34 1 gap D w. Wade.
Now the Wade 34 1gap is different from the Pitt, Baltimore, Jets, and Fins 1 gap D. B/c they, sometimes run a 2 gap on run downs (so their D line-3man-hold up blockers).
Wade 1 gap is a pure 1 gap 34. Their D line don't hold up blockers. Houston runs a pure 1 gap 34.

I don't see Crick as a 1 gap 34. JJ Watt was a perfect fit for a Wade 1 gap. Crick 2 gaps at Neb. Now, I think Pats fans should know that players like Richard Seymour is a once in a generation RDE.

Big Sey will be in the HOF. I don't want to fight the last war and get his replacement. I'd like to prepare for the next one. The game has changed a lot in 10 years. I see it going towards a faster, quicker defense at certain positions. Might be a little smaller. But we need a faster defense. It's becoming flag football. Get a couple of big dt's who can anchor the middle of the line. We have Vince and maybe Haynesworth. I like Andre Carter. Wish he was 5 years younger. I still would like that weakside de/olb whom you just say sic em. And, they go get the qb. No intricate design. Just sic em! I would still like a de who can anchor vs the run. A guy like S. Ellis is pretty ideal. Then, you get him off of the field on 2nd and 3RD down. Don't want to spend a high pick on that player. Many teams don't even try to run the ball. Why build a defense designed to stop the run when it's too slow to get after the qb?

I'd like a run-stuffing vet like S. Ellis. But, there are games/teams when he may not even see the field. I think a guy like Vrabel is the protype for that type of de/olb. Can stand up and chuck the te and stuff the run. Can also rush the passer. I see Ninko as a poor man's Vrabes. That's why I want two olb's. One whom I think might be able to do both. Courtney Upshaw. And one whom I say sic em. Vinny Curry. To me Crick's skill set I want to find thru a veteran free agent.

Big Sey will be in the HOF. I don't want to fight the last war and get his replacement. I'd like to prepare for the next one. The game has changed a lot in 10 years. I see it going towards a faster, quicker defense at certain positions. Might be a little smaller. But we need a faster defense. It's becoming flag football. Get a couple of big dt's who can anchor the middle of the line. We have Vince and maybe Haynesworth. I like Andre Carter. Wish he was 5 years younger. I still would like that weakside de/olb whom you just say sic em. And, they go get the qb. No intricate design. Just sic em! I would still like a de who can anchor vs the run. A guy like S. Ellis is pretty ideal. Then, you get him off of the field on 2nd and 3RD down. Don't want to spend a high pick on that player. Many teams don't even try to run the ball. Why build a defense designed to stop the run when it's too slow to get after the qb?

I'd like a run-stuffing vet like S. Ellis. But, there are games/teams when he may not even see the field. I think a guy like Vrabel is the protype for that type of de/olb. Can stand up and chuck the te and stuff the run. Can also rush the passer. I see Ninko as a poor man's Vrabes. That's why I want two olb's. One whom I think might be able to do both. Courtney Upshaw. And one whom I say sic em. Vinny Curry. To me Crick's skill set I want to find thru a veteran free agent.

The more you give up trying to defend the run the more productive it will become for other teams to run on you. A running game is less expensive and safer than the passing game, which is why teams will jump on the opportunity if it makes sense for them.

The more you give up trying to defend the run the more productive it will become for other teams to run on you. A running game is less expensive and safer than the passing game, which is why teams will jump on the opportunity if it makes sense for them.

I agree and that is why 3-4 OLB/DE's have to be able to set a hard edge on running plays. Stretch running plays only need a blocking WR and a fast RB to carve up a 3-4 defense with weak run defending OLB'DE's.

Still does not explain why BB refuses to draft players at this position.

I agree and that is why 3-4 OLB/DE's have to be able to set a hard edge on running plays. Stretch running plays only need a blocking WR and a fast RB to carve up a 3-4 defense with weak run defending OLB'DE's.

Still does not explain why BB refuses to draft players at this position.

The day he selects a 34 OLB in the 1st round, the entire Pats fanbase will collectively rejoice. Lol.

The day he selects a 34 OLB in the 1st round, the entire Pats fanbase will collectively rejoice. Lol.

I often wonder how the other position players on defense view BB passing on this position year after year in the draft.

Do the guys in the secondary get upset knowing they have to cover longer than any other team's DB in the entire NFL?

Does Wilfork get upset knowing there is no one on the outside capable of commanding a double team so the opposing offenses double and triple him all day long.

Do the ILB's get upset knowing that every blitz they run will be picked up by an Oline guy and not a cheesy RB?

BB's ignoring of this position has a ripple effect through the whole defense.

I often wonder how the other position players on defense view BB passing on this position year after year in the draft.

Do the guys in the secondary get upset knowing they have to cover longer than any other team's DB in the entire NFL?

Does Wilfork get upset knowing there is no one on the outside capable of commanding a double team so the opposing offenses double and triple him all day long.

Do the ILB's get upset knowing that every blitz they run will be picked up by an Oline guy and not a cheesy RB?

BB's ignoring of this position has a ripple effect through the whole defense.

Used to be CB's not taken in the 1st round.

Right now,
WR
QB (not that we need one)
34OLB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes