PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

DE and LB Roster Spots

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice dilemma. Younger and faster would be my guide if I were the Patriots.

I have to wonder why John Abraham's agent would advise him to compete for a spot with this group of guys. Even though it may be an opportunity to get a ring, his chances are poor to make the team.

It is not like the defensive backfield where the Patriots need a solid veteran like Adrian Wilson to help the young (and prone to trouble) secondary keep their priorities straight.

Front seven is going to be an area of strength, especially if Collins can play both DE and OLB. I love that he started his college career as a safety. He has coverage experience in a mid-major conference and moved to LB before ending his college career at DE. If he can cover NFL tight ends, he'll be valuable in the AFC East which has pretty good ones.

So who on the current roster outside of maybe Chandler Jones has proven that they are capable of beating out a veteran like Abraham?

I agree.

Abraham would have no trouble making the team. The question is compensation. Let him side an A. Wilson type contract, compete for reps and come on board. BTW, I don't think that he will do that.

So who on the current roster outside of maybe Chandler Jones has proven that they are capable of beating out a veteran like Abraham?

Yes, I responded to this post. The one I quoted. Why did you put him in a sentence with 5 de's?

Originally Posted by JMC00 View Post
Francis, Buchanan, Beuharnais, Abraham (if he is signed)/Cunningham (if not)

Bequette to the practice squad.

Clearly you're not getting it. mgteich wrote

==== =======

PICK FOUR (4)

Francis, Bequette, Cunningham, Fletcher

Rivera, Tarpinian, Koutouvides, Buchanan, Vega, Robertson, Beuharnais
=============================

I was responding to his pick four section. It's really not that hard to understand, but clearly you are having problems understanding it.

If you want my answer ask him why he also has Fletcher, Rivera and Tarpinian listed along with Beuharnais in that section.

I would predict Abraham goes immediately to the front of the line as a situational pass rusher. I also expect Armstead's professional experience would put him well ahead of Collins. I think many folks here are expecting too much from our second round picks. They each have a high ceiling but also a low floor, which is why they were not first round picks.

Another factor is our choices may be that many of these players are currently scheduled to be free agents after the season: Spikes, Ninkovich, Deaderick, Love and Cunningham.

Keeping all four puts some pressure on the 2014 off-season. Obviously, any of these might be extended which would help the situation.

i hope bequette makes the team as well as buchanan i think beuharnais will probably be on the ps for at least part of the season im not a big fan of cunningham and im not sure if he'll make the team or not and dont forget some of the UDFA Dt's we added some of them look pretty good and i wouldnt be surprised to see deaderick and maybe love cut because of them

DE and LB LOCKS (6)
---------------------
Jones, Ninkovich, Mayo, Hightower, Spikes and Collins
================================================== =======

PICK FOUR (4)

Francis, Bequette, Cunningham, Fletcher

Rivera, Tarpinian, Koutouvides, Buchanan, Vega, Robertson, Beuharnais

MLB: Spikes, Fletcher, Beuharnais
OLB: Mayo, Hightower, Collins
DE: Jones, Ninkovich, Francis, Buchanan

I can't believe I'm going with both 7th rounders. Hopefully an Abraham signing would push Buchanan to the PS.

Rivera v Tarpinian v Koutouvides v Beuharnais, position: ST LB-Beuharnais is the youngest and offers the most upside here, and quite frankly, he's probably the best ILB of this bunch already.

Bequette, Cunningham, Vega, Robertson, Buchanan, position: 4th DE/last pass rusher-We know what Cunningham is at this point, a versatile, injured JAG. Bequette appears heading to bust status as Francis hopped him on the depth chart last year. Vega/Robertson are camp fodder. I don't think Buchanan is ready, but as the last man in/as an inactive he can bulk up/and learn there.

That group is still way too young though, Abraham coming on board would be perfect.

I think Cunningham is gone. Bequette could be gone too if he doesn't show improvement especially if Abraham is signed.

Wy would Cunningham be gone? He played an important role last year and played it well. Who surpassed him?

It seems to me that there is no disadvantage of putting your 7th rounders or UDFA players that you onto the Practice Squad. No other team is scooping up 7th rounders or UDFA's.

It seems most unlikely that Buchanan will be more valuable on the 53 than Cunningham. It also seems unlikely that Beaurharnais will be a better special teamer than Rivera (or Kout or Tarp).

I could see Beauharnais pssobily making the 53 if Fletcher is injured again.

Just hope BB is able to trade some "surplus" talent to other teams for late round picks. Somehow, he has not been very good at "selling" his players. OTOH, he does not seem to mind sending late round picks for veterans or parts like Tracy White or Greg Salas (whom he then cut).

He's a lock

Absolutely

Didn't he get something like 10 sacks and 5 forced fumbles last year (including the playoffs)? That kind of contribution is not so casually discarded. He's not Cameron Wake but he's a valuable cog in the machine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back