DE and LB Roster Spots

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
DT (5)
DT seems almost locked down barring injury: Wilfork, Love, Deaderick, Kelly and Armstead. Forston could make the team if he progresses enough or if one of the others in injured, or doesn't work out.
========================================================

DE and LB LOCKS (6)
---------------------
Jones, Ninkovich, Mayo, Hightower, Spikes and Collins
=========================================================

PICK FOUR (4)

Francis, Bequette, Cunningham, Fletcher

Rivera, Tarpinian, Koutouvides, Buchanan, Vega, Robertson, Beuharnais
=============================

SOME THOUGHTS

1) Cunningham will make the team. He was an OK backup for Ninkovich at DE, and is OK inside.

2) The other positions are pretty wide open, with Francis having the advantage of one year of development.

3) We could keep on fewer DE/OLB and keep Forston.

=======================

BOTTOM LINE

We've improved our front seven with the additions of Kelly, Armstead and Collins. Jones and Hightower should be better in their sophomore year.

I don't think ninko is a lock. This is the most competition I've seen for a de end of the line rusher. One spot is locked down by chandler jones and then many guys including a possible john abraham fighting for the other.

I honestly think michael buchanon is the dark horse in this battle royale. Out of all the guys there, I believe he may the best at holding the edge. His long arms and decent leverage seems to be what BB is searching for.

Your DE/LB are six not five.

With Armstead and Kelly added I think I would just keep one of Love or Deaderick. Four should be enough if we have one or even two DT on the practice squad.

I'd keep : Wilfork, Love, Armstead, Kelly from your first list
The same 6 from your second.

Then I can keep 5 more (one less DT balances out your miscounting of the second list).

I'd take Cunningham, Francis (both could get us through at DT in a pinch), Fletcher, Buchanan and either Koutouvides or Beuharmais. Maybe we'd get Buchanan to the PS, I would also hope to get Bequette there.

Either way, it's a pinch - then when we sign Abraham, either Cunningham or Francis goes too.

Here are my thoughts... A lot of it depends on if a 4-3 is their base or they utilize more of a 3-4 Hybrid look.

DE [5]: Jones, Ninkovich, Francis, Cunningham, Buchanan
DT [4]: Wilfork, Kelly, Deadrick, Armstead. I could see Love/Forston battling it out for spot.
LB [5]: Mayo, Hightower, Spikes, Collins, Beauharnais. I could see Bequette/Fletcher/Tarpinian all battling for a spot too.

That comes out to 14 Spots. Maybe a high of 16 if they keep 5 at DT and 6 at LB.

I like the fact that there is a lot of competition for these spots. Pats paid Fortson more to keep him on the practice squad and we might see the same thing with Buchanan. Needs a year in a pro S&C program but could eventually be a pretty good player.

Ninko isn't going anywhere. We might see him in more of a SAM role. Especially, if we sign John Abraham.

Cunningham/Bequette/Francis/Buchanan will prob be battling for 2 spots.

Don't sleep on Marcus Fortson either. He really shouldn't have out for the draft last year. He did. Wasn't drafted and we're fortunate nobody picked him up. If Kelly, Love or Deaderick come in out of shape. They will be in for a fight for that roster spot.

Let's go beat up some QB's!!

Interesting camp battles for the front 6.

Comment on Cunningham, he did good work out in the sub package rushing from the DT position drawing penalties and being disruptive.

Francis was a very pleasant surprise if he makes the 1st ot 2nd year 'jump' he will be a lock IMO.

The situation with Kelly will depend on what he has left in the tank, if the answer is not much an opening for Forston.

Tarpinian and Koutouvidies situation will depend on whether others can serve well on the ST's and have future upside developing as a position player (especially Beuharnais & Buchanan).

I do think we are looking at 15 spots here.

Last edited:
I don't see Cunningham making the cut, I think his days are numbered. Francis will make it, and maybe Buchanan too, depending on what he shows.

A) I think that we need 5 wide-bodies. Deaderick or Forston seem to be competing for the 5th DT spot.

B) I have at least FOUR wide open roster spots (after correcting the original post).

C) Yes, I could see cutting Deaderick, if we keep both Cunningham and Francis (who could play inside in a pinch as you suggest. However, it seems that Deaderick or Fortson is worth a roster spot, even if it is an inactive one.

D) Fletcher is on the team unless he is injured yet again. Unfortunately, that is extremely likely.

E) Beuharnais in a LT/ST roster spot is intriguing to me.

PICK FOUR (4)

Your DE/LB are six not five.

With Armstead and Kelly added I think I would just keep one of Love or Deaderick. Four should be enough if we have one or even two DT on the practice squad.

I'd keep : Wilfork, Love, Armstead, Kelly from your first list
The same 6 from your second.

Then I can keep 5 more (one less DT balances out your miscounting of the second list).

I'd take Cunningham, Francis (both could get us through at DT in a pinch), Fletcher, Buchanan and either Koutouvides or Beuharmais. Maybe we'd get Buchanan to the PS, I would also hope to get Bequette there.

Either way, it's a pinch - then when we sign Abraham, either Cunningham or Francis goes too.

Love is practically a lock, deadrik is not...if Kelly doesn't come to play we can Le him go without too many repercussions

Anyone not want Abraham?

Really feel as if he's going to succumb to age by midseason like last shiny old pass rusher we picked up in 2011.

Francis, Buchanan, Beuharnais, Abraham (if he is signed)/Cunningham (if not)

Bequette to the practice squad.

I think Cunningham is gone. Bequette could be gone too if he doesn't show improvement especially if Abraham is signed.

Beauharnais is strictly a lb.

DT (5)
DT seems almost locked down barring injury: Wilfork, Love, Deaderick, Kelly and Armstead. Forston could make the team if he progresses enough or if one of the others in injured, or doesn't work out.
========================================================

DE and LB LOCKS (6)
---------------------
Jones, Ninkovich, Mayo, Hightower, Spikes and Collins
=========================================================

PICK FOUR (4)

=============================

SOME THOUGHTS

1) Cunningham will make the team. He was an OK backup for Ninkovich at DE, and is OK inside.

2) The other positions are pretty wide open, with Francis having the advantage of one year of development.

3) We could keep on fewer DE/OLB and keep Forston.

=======================

BOTTOM LINE

We've improved our front seven with the additions of Kelly, Armstead and Collins. Jones and Hightower should be better in their sophomore year.

It's wide open at this point, but two early guesses that I'm willing to make that might buck conventional wisdom a bit are that Buchanan makes the team and Bequette does not. I also would not be shocked if Cunningham does not end up making the team. Feels kinda weird to be saying that, since last year I felt like I was in a distinct minority being confident that he would.

For edge guys, I think we're looking at Jones, Ninkovich, Collins, Francis, and Buchanan, with one of Francis or Buchanan potentially getting the axe if they decide to go heavy on WRs or secondary (my guess is that the team would like Buchanan to win the job, given his potential, but they're not going to hand it to him by any means). As an added bonus, Hightower and Cunningham can both come off the edge if needed.

Also wouldn't be shocked if Collins has turned Fletcher into an unnecessary luxury. As much as I don't like the idea of relying on a rookie in a pretty important role, Fletcher hasn't shown any more at the NFL level than Collins has.

Nice dilemma. Younger and faster would be my guide if I were the Patriots.

I have to wonder why John Abraham's agent would advise him to compete for a spot with this group of guys. Even though it may be an opportunity to get a ring, his chances are poor to make the team.

It is not like the defensive backfield where the Patriots need a solid veteran like Adrian Wilson to help the young (and prone to trouble) secondary keep their priorities straight.

Front seven is going to be an area of strength, especially if Collins can play both DE and OLB. I love that he started his college career as a safety. He has coverage experience in a mid-major conference and moved to LB before ending his college career at DE. If he can cover NFL tight ends, he'll be valuable in the AFC East which has pretty good ones.

Did you even read the post?

Yes, I responded to this post. The one I quoted. Why did you put him in a sentence with 5 de's?

Originally Posted by JMC00 View Post

Comment on Cunningham, he did good work out in the sub package rushing from the DT position drawing penalties and being disruptive.

.........while he was on 'roids.

Interesting camp battles for the front 6.

In that respect, he was the main beneficiary of Fanene's poor health/release. With Kelly and Armstead coming on board, I think it's clear that Belichick wants more production and versatility in that role, which makes Cunningham the third choice in that role at this point, IMO. If he wants to stick, I think he'll have to do it as a DE, which means that he'll probably have to beat out some combination of Francis, Bequette, and Buchanan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes