PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

DB metrics from nfldraftscout.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

BradyManny

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
A nice feature on nfldraftscout.com is that most DBs have some nice stats posted....in this case, they post the % of passes compeleted targeted at a given DB....

THE BEST:

Terrell Thomas
Had 57 passes targeted into his area, holding the opposition to seventeen catches for 149 yards (8.76 yards per catch) and one touchdown…Only 29.82% of those throws were caught and he allowed just 2.61 yards per pass attempt.

Antoine Cason
"Of the 73 passes targeted to his area, the opposition caught 23 (32%) for 258 yards (11.2 avg), two touchdowns and twelve first downs: 3.53 yards per pass attempt"

DRC
Of the sixty passes targeted into his area, he held the opposition to 22 receptions (37%) for 262 yards (11.91 avg per completion), three touchdowns and an average of 4.37 yards per pass attempt.

Flowers
The opposition managed to complete just 25% of the passes targeted into Flowers' area (19-of-76) for 198 yards and no touchdowns, as his opponents averaged 10.42 yards per pass completion and 2.61 yards per pass attempt.

Chevis Jackson
Had 82 passes targeted into his area, as the opposition caught just 21 balls for 230 yards (10.95 yards per completion/2.8 yards per attempt) and three touchdowns, as opposing quarterbacks completed just 25.61% of those tosses.

THE REST:

Trae Williams:
Of the 66 passes targeted into his area, 30 were caught (45.45%) for 519 yards (17.3 avg), as he prevented the opponent from getting to 19 other throws and defended 17 passes, as the opposition registered 7.86 yards per pass attempt…His six interceptions tied him for 18th in the nation.

Mike Jenkins
Had 68 passes targeted into his area, as the opposition caught 28 of those throws (41.18%) for 348 yards (12.43 avg) and three touchdowns. 5.12 yds per attempt

Leodis McKelvin
70 passes targeted, 34 complete (49%) for 407 yards. 5.81 yds per attempt

Charles Godfrey
"His main pass coverage assignment caught a total of fifteen passes for 117 yards (7.8 avg) vs. Godfrey, who saw a total of 40 balls caught in his area for 298 yards (7.45 avg)"

Tracy Porter
The secondary ranked 81st in the nation in pass defense, allowing 243.69 yards per game, as the opposition caught 53 of 91 passes (58.24%) targeted into Porter's territory, good for 679 yards (12.81-yard average per completion/7.46-yard average per attempt) and five touchdowns

Feel free to add on any other CBs, I will post more as I have time to look them up.

Impressive numbers for Jackson, Flowers, Thomas and Cason. I'll pull a Bob Ryan and ask "what's the fascination with [Leodis McKelvin]"?

Last edited:
Very interesting information...thanks for posting!

Bump. I'd love to get some more feedback on this. Particularly on why - outside of his big play and explosiveness, or maybe that's just it - McKelvin would be the first CB off the board. These stats only reiterated my feeling that the two best fits for the Pats were the two noted as best in zone, Cason & C. Jackson. They also happen to have two of the best success rates noted here.

Bump. I'd love to get some more feedback on this. Particularly on why - outside of his big play and explosiveness, or maybe that's just it - McKelvin would be the first CB off the board. These stats only reiterated my feeling that the two best fits for the Pats were the two noted as best in zone, Cason & C. Jackson. They also happen to have two of the best success rates noted here.
Can you provide a link? I couldn't find the article.... Thanks.

Interesting numbers, but it's tough to compare one CB to another on a different team. For example, Thomas played behind a defensive line featuring first round pick Ellis and second round pick Jackson. The pressure the USC defensive line was able to create on QB's was probably far greater than that of the Arizona defense.

I do think it's a little concerning that McKelvin and Rodgers-Cromartie don't stand out a little more in this comparison considering the fact that they played against lesser quality opposition.

I still personally like Rodgers-Cromartie a lot and think he has a chance to be a star, but I don't think he's a Patriots type pick.

Interesting numbers, but it's tough to compare one CB to another on a different team. For example, Thomas played behind a defensive line featuring first round pick Ellis and second round pick Jackson. The pressure the USC defensive line was able to create on QB's was probably far greater than that of the Arizona defense.

I think that's the most you need to say about it. Statistics can be slightly misleading when you consider what teams were played, when specific plays were made (for example who were the touchdowns given up to) and whatnot, so just stats aren't always the best gauge. It's a little bit like a receiver running a 4.35 at the combine after a terrible college career and vaulting into the first round, and then everyone is surprised they are a bust.

Very interesting statistics though. Those are at least more accurate than gauging a CB purely on interceptions made, which can be tremendously misleading (anyone else think Asante was overpaid by Philly just due to a few picks?).

Last edited:
Very interesting statistics though. Those are at least more accurate than gauging a CB purely on interceptions made, which can be tremendously misleading (anyone else think Asante was overpaid by Philly just due to a few picks?).

Yes, its far more accurate than that. I would say that the completion % against, yds/attempt or completion is the closest you're going to get to a good statistical analysis of a DB, or any defensive player for that matter.

While I agree all stats must be taken with a grain of salt - especially football, and especially defense, I think these numbers are telling. Cason, Jackson, Flowers, its hard to argue with their production - when the ball was thrown their way, it was more often that not, incomplete. However, guys with better measurables, ie 40 times, like McKelvin, Jenkins, etc. were not as productive by this standard of measuring.

These stats only furthered my belief that the CBs for the Pats are to be found from the middle of round 1 and on and that a guy like Jackson might be as productive for them as McKelvin, who many have pegged as their #7 pick.

Last edited:
I think that's the most you need to say about it. Statistics can be slightly misleading when you consider what teams were played, when specific plays were made (for example who were the touchdowns given up to) and whatnot, so just stats aren't always the best gauge. It's a little bit like a receiver running a 4.35 at the combine after a terrible college career and vaulting into the first round, and then everyone is surprised they are a bust.

Easy to say til his replacement drops a half dozen picks this year...

Yes, its far more accurate than that. I would say that the completion % against, yds/attempt or completion is the closest you're going to get to a good statistical analysis of a DB, or any defensive player for that matter.

While I agree all stats must be taken with a grain of salt - especially football, and especially defense, I think these numbers are telling. Cason, Jackson, Flowers, its hard to argue with their production - when the ball was thrown their way, it was more often that not, incomplete. However, guys with better measurables, ie 40 times, like McKelvin, Jenkins, etc. were not as productive by this standard of measuring.

These stats only furthered my belief that the CBs for the Pats are to be found from the middle of round 1 and on and that a guy like Jackson might be as productive for them as McKelvin, who many have pegged as their #7 pick.

Yes, it's always a good idea to look more closely at the type of teams each CB's has faced. For instance, Cason played against pro style offenses, with top level passers, and good WR's. His posting one of the top success rates and YPA's against that type of comp tells me a little more than a CB who posted similar numbers against a lower level of comp, or teams that are mainly run oriented.

What I've watched with my own eyes, his level up comp, that success rate, and his scouting reports all point to a CB who's NFL ready, and would be a good fit for NE's defense.

Last edited:
[/B][/COLOR]

Agreed. Ball-hawking is a trait that is absolutely necessary in the Patriots zone scheme. I think that we know Asante was great for our team, but he isn't really a #1 CB (for that price).

I think the coaching staff will be inclined to take a couple of mid-round DB's in hopes that they can get a player or two who can step in to some extent immediately.

I really like DRC, but like everyone else, I haven't seen enough of him.

[/B][/COLOR]
Agreed - unfortunately after Samuel won the Philly game he had only 1 INT the last 8 games (including the playoffs) and allowed numerous TD (in some big places, I might add). We desperately need a CB who can make the big play like Law and Samuel did - but the Samuel we saw after the Philly game is easily replaced IMO.

Yes, it's always a good idea to look more closely at the type of teams each CB's has faced. For instance, Cason played against pro style offenses, with top level passers, and good WR's. His posting one of the top success rates and YPA's against that type of comp tells me a little more than a CB who posted similar numbers against a lower level of comp, or teams that are mainly run oriented.

What I've watched with my own eyes, his level up comp, that success rate, and his scouting reports all point to a CB who's NFL ready, and would be a good fit for NE's defense.

Well put. (10 char)

good stats. Very intresting regarding Terrell Thomas. Some scouts say that Terrell Thomas was inconsistant at USC. I watched all his games last year and he is a pretty good corner. He could be a steal in the second or third round.

Agreed - unfortunately after Samuel won the Philly game he had only 1 INT the last 8 games (including the playoffs) and allowed numerous TD (in some big places, I might add). We desperately need a CB who can make the big play like Law and Samuel did - but the Samuel we saw after the Philly game is easily replaced IMO.

Did Samuel put it on cruise control as the season wound down or did teams just stay away from him?

The best way to make a CB look better is to have a strong pass rush. ie: Groves in the first round to the Pats.

Did Samuel put it on cruise control as the season wound down or did teams just stay away from him?

The best way to make a CB look better is to have a strong pass rush. ie: Groves in the first round to the Pats.

Co-sign. But I'd love to get him in a trade down...even if we're only swapping a few spots down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes