PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

DB for upcoming draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

thecrazyeye

On the Roster
Reaction score
I think this would be a great year to stock up on talent in our secondary
These are some players that have stood out to me that I think will be around for the Patriots in the draft

CB-
DeAndre Jackson- Iowa State
Aaron Ross- Texas
CJ Wilson- Baylor
Daymeion Hughes- Cal

S
Eric Weddle- Utah
Michael Griffin- Texas
Josh Gattis- Wake Forest
Wesley Smith- Memphis

To get a real corner like Jackson, a safety late like Gattis and then a guy who can play both like Weddle is a real possibility with what I think our draft position will be. This , of course, all depends on how the Combine and Pro Day numbers work out
just my .02

Call me crazy but I think it has more to do with how they interview with the Pats and how they look to the scouts in person and in game film.

I agree but ever if we win the SB this year I want a LB with one the the first 3 picks next year.
All I ever hear is lets pick up a veteran FA at LB,
I love experience but lets start grooming one for the future. We could use a little bit more speed in this position as well.

Gattis made a great play at the end of the NC State game.

The CB I really like is Bennett of South Carolina. He plays against some top notch talent and has really performed well thus far this season.

Griffith of Texas is extremely physical against the run and he is decent in coverage. Not sure about the speed, but other than that, he looks very good.

Really hard to imagine BB taking a rookie LB high in the draft and sitting him for 2-3 years to learn the system and it is doubtful a rookie LB can learn the system quickly. Maybe a LB coming from Virginia would have the best shot at picking up the system quickly, but BB has not really shown any interest in them thus far.

Ochmed Jones said:
Gattis made a great play at the end of the NC State game.

The CB I really like is Bennett of South Carolina. He plays against some top notch talent and has really performed well thus far this season.

Griffith of Texas is extremely physical against the run and he is decent in coverage. Not sure about the speed, but other than that, he looks very good.

Really hard to imagine BB taking a rookie LB high in the draft and sitting him for 2-3 years to learn the system and it is doubtful a rookie LB can learn the system quickly. Maybe a LB coming from Virginia would have the best shot at picking up the system quickly, but BB has not really shown any interest in them thus far.

I wish I could tell one db from another, I have heard good things about Bennett and McCauley from Fresno. One thing is for sure we will need one from next years draft...

I was a little disapointed to see that Ahmad Brooks (6'4, 260) looks like a player... he played MLB at Virginia and was projected as a first rounder, got in trouble and then went in the supplemental draft. Bengals took him in the draft and gave up a 3rd rounder next year. LBs with the size and system knowledge to play for the Pats are very rare. I felt with him as a backup this year and potential starter next year we would finally have some solid youth in the LB core and our depth at the position would look a whole lot better. To get him for a 3rd is a steal, if he stays out of trouble he could be better than any ILB in next years draft.

Quote from Peter King on si.com "e. Ahmad Brooks, 11 tackles. Rangy and fierce. If Brooks keeps his nose clean for Cincinnati, Marvin Lewis might have added the sideline-to-sideline linebacker he lost when Odell Thurman imploded."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back